Thread: Prescription/Life Saving Drugs

Prescription/Life Saving Drugs

Hi all,

Allow me to introduce myself before posting this topic - I'm Pete, a film student from Edinburgh, Scotland. I wouldn't count myself as sXe although I'm probably not far off it - I've never smoked, never taken illegal drugs and don't really drink that much (one or two beers at home after a hard week or the occasional couple of social drinks with friends). I am totally all about rock and metal, which doesn't go down very well when you live in a small village in the hills of Scotland where I grew up(it's possibly a wonder why I don't actually drink more with a history like that lol).

I've been asked to develop a story idea for a film by one of my lecturers, I can't say too much about it because he made me sign a confidentiality agreement but let's just say the story revolves around someone who finds out they have cancer and it's a film about how they deal with it. The key to good story telling (so I'm told) is to make your main character essentially completely wrong for the situation they find themselves in - think Arnie in Kindergarden Cop for instance, a big tough-guy having to deal with children. When the character is so unequipped for the situation, conflict is generated and that's essentially what stories revolve around.

You might already be seeing where this is going but please indulge me, I've come here to you guys to seek expert advice and not rely on what little snippets of thirdhand information I remember and/or what Wikipedia says, you know what I mean?

And so, the burning question - how big a deal would it be for someone who is edge to find out they have cancer, which could be cured if they were to go on some kind of drugs trial? Obviously there's a stereotypical/cliched view that going on a drugs trial would be totally against all sXe beliefs etc - but would it really...?

What if the person involved was a total icon of sXe, Ian MacKaye or Ray Cappo etc? Do you think they would even consider going on the drugs trial if it meant they'd come out of it the other side alive? Has something like this even happened already?!

I obviously want to respect you guys as much as I can, again hence why I've come here to ask these questions. My lecturer tells me he has the ear of someone really high up at a major UK film production company so you never know, a film like this could get made and be released within a couple of years. I think it would be cool to make the main character a fictional sXe legend/icon, the sXe community has never to my knowledge been explored in main stream cinema before so it would be new and fresh and would give you generally positive exposure. Not to mention the potential for a killer soundtrack! I saw there's that Edge documentary being released but no matter how good or true it is, it will only go so far outside of the community whereas this, if the story is right, could go much further.

Thanks for your time, hope you have some cool replies for me :) Feel free to email me at peteharper [at] hotmail [dot] com

Quote Originally Posted by peteharper View Post
    Hi all,

Allow me to introduce myself before posting this topic - I'm Pete, a film student from Edinburgh, Scotland. I wouldn't count myself as sXe although I'm probably not far off it - I've never smoked, never taken illegal drugs and don't really drink that much (one or two beers at home after a hard week or the occasional couple of social drinks with friends). I am totally all about rock and metal, which doesn't go down very well when you live in a small village in the hills of Scotland where I grew up(it's possibly a wonder why I don't actually drink more with a history like that lol).

I've been asked to develop a story idea for a film by one of my lecturers, I can't say too much about it because he made me sign a confidentiality agreement but let's just say the story revolves around someone who finds out they have cancer and it's a film about how they deal with it. The key to good story telling (so I'm told) is to make your main character essentially completely wrong for the situation they find themselves in - think Arnie in Kindergarden Cop for instance, a big tough-guy having to deal with children. When the character is so unequipped for the situation, conflict is generated and that's essentially what stories revolve around.

You might already be seeing where this is going but please indulge me, I've come here to you guys to seek expert advice and not rely on what little snippets of thirdhand information I remember and/or what Wikipedia says, you know what I mean?

And so, the burning question - how big a deal would it be for someone who is edge to find out they have cancer, which could be cured if they were to go on some kind of drugs trial? Obviously there's a stereotypical/cliched view that going on a drugs trial would be totally against all sXe beliefs etc - but would it really...?

What if the person involved was a total icon of sXe, Ian MacKaye or Ray Cappo etc? Do you think they would even consider going on the drugs trial if it meant they'd come out of it the other side alive? Has something like this even happened already?!

I obviously want to respect you guys as much as I can, again hence why I've come here to ask these questions. My lecturer tells me he has the ear of someone really high up at a major UK film production company so you never know, a film like this could get made and be released within a couple of years. I think it would be cool to make the main character a fictional sXe legend/icon, the sXe community has never to my knowledge been explored in main stream cinema before so it would be new and fresh and would give you generally positive exposure. Not to mention the potential for a killer soundtrack! I saw there's that Edge documentary being released but no matter how good or true it is, it will only go so far outside of the community whereas this, if the story is right, could go much further.

Thanks for your time, hope you have some cool replies for me :) Feel free to email me at peteharper [at] hotmail [dot] com
    this is based on the incorrect assumption that straight edge people view all drugs and drug use the same. We don't. What you're talking about is medicine prescribed by a doctor, which the vast majority of straight edge people have no issue with.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    this is based on the incorrect assumption that straight edge people view all drugs and drug use the same. We don't. What you're talking about is medicine prescribed by a doctor, which the vast majority of straight edge people have no issue with.
    Well this is exactly the kind of feedback I was wanting - so you think the idea on the whole would be shit then...?

Quote Originally Posted by peteharper View Post
    Well this is exactly the kind of feedback I was wanting - so you think the idea on the whole would be shit then...?
    from an accuracy standpoint yeah. You'd have to change it to be someone like a christian scientist who are way wackier than we are about drugs. we're just against recreational drug use, not medicine.

Hm, oh well, that's a bit of a shame, I had some interesting storylines and shit if that key fact had stood up.

But thank you very much for your time, you've stopped me making an epic mistake and pissing everyone off! I hope that film Edge makes it to the Edinburgh Film Festival this year, sounds really good :)

I suffer from TMIS (Too Many Ideas Syndrome) which I dont think is a real syndrome but there are articles out there but you can get the point from the name of it, which means I try to write a script but then another different idea comes along for another movie then i think about starting that than an idea comes along for building something then.. ect.. ect.. Yesterday I was actually thinking about a Straight Edge movie, about 3 to 4 kids who all found straight edge together for different or the same reasons and it will show the struggles between sxe and the world of drugs/alcohol.

If anyone knows any movies like that please let me know.
    Live for happiness: Make the best out of this place.
    Never Give Up: Till you die with a smile on your face.

-me

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilfy View Post
    I suffer from TMIS (Too Many Ideas Syndrome) which I dont think is a real syndrome but there are articles out there but you can get the point from the name of it, which means I try to write a script but then another different idea comes along for another movie then i think about starting that than an idea comes along for building something then.. ect.. ect.. Yesterday I was actually thinking about a Straight Edge movie, about 3 to 4 kids who all found straight edge together for different or the same reasons and it will show the struggles between sxe and the world of drugs/alcohol.

If anyone knows any movies like that please let me know.
    not wanting to diss you or anything, but it sounds like Crossroads
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

[QUOTE=Bilfy;109320] show the struggles between sxe and the world of drugs/alcohol. /QUOTE]

I didn't realise there were any struggles...?

Thread Information