Thread: another question

another question

whatf if you dont listen to hardcore but listen to punk, are you still sXe?

Samurai Pizza Katz
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but i'm not straight edge ^_^... but anyway... no.

The short answer is no but here's why...

Hardcore is about more than just listening to music. I think a lot of people seem to think it's this daft "rule" that when you are sat in your bedroom you have to listen to HC, that's a little silly sounding. I'm not necessarily lumping you in with those kids, but that seems to be what comes up a lot.

The thing is HC is a community, lots of people getting together at shows etc and working together to keep the scene (which means the community of people, I don't quite follow what the high school kids today co-opted it to mean, I'm old) alive.

sXe is a movement within that community, you step outside of that, and it becomes drug free, still an awesome and noble choice, but only half of what it means to be sXe.

That's the answer to the full question, "Do you have to be into Hardcore to be sXe?" to ask about listening is the way a lot of kids seem to be missing the point. It's about much more that musical tastes, it's about being apart of the community.

I hope that's helpful?
    Last edited by xvunderx; 04-24-2006 at 08:59 AM.

really

really helpful..thanks alot =D forgive me for all these questions

Quote Originally Posted by xpatchxrojasx
    really helpful..thanks alot =D forgive me for all these questions
    this is a resource to ask questions, so don't feel bad for asking them.

Quote Originally Posted by xvunderx
    The short answer is no but here's why...

Hardcore is about more than just listening to music. I think a lot of people seem to think it's this daft "rule" that when you are sat in your bedroom you have to listen to HC, that's a little silly sounding. I'm not necessarily lumping you in with those kids, but that seems to be what comes up a lot.

The thing is HC is a community, lots of people getting together at shows etc and working together to keep the scene (which means the community of people, I don't quite follow what the high school kids today co-opted it to mean, I'm old) alive.

sXe is a movement within that community, you step outside of that, and it becomes drug free, still an awesome and noble choice, but only half of what it means to be sXe.

That's the answer to the full question, "Do you have to be into Hardcore to be sXe?" to ask about listening is the way a lot of kids seem to be missing the point. It's about much more that musical tastes, it's about being apart of the community.

I hope that's helpful?
    If you've never been to see a sXe band live, are you not edge then?

Quote Originally Posted by livithezombie
    If you've never been to see a sXe band live, are you not edge then?
    Well first you'd have to ask yourself why you'd never seen a sxe band play live, if its just a logistical impossibility then there are other ways in which to support and keep the scene alive and vibrant. If however you just don't want to support the scene to which you associate yourself then you have to ask yourself how that works. I think that the want to show support and active participation in hardcore is a vital part of being straightedge and keeping straightedge as something unique. I don't think that going to shows is the only way to support hardcore but it is a prevalent one.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

Samurai Pizza Katz
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    I don't think that going to shows is the only way to support hardcore but it is a prevalent one.
    Yeah, if you are someone like me, only 16, don't have a way to getting out to many shows. Just buy CDs and clothing, support the hardcore bands, easy way to help.
    Though i'm not egde myself, I love supporting the bands, not just cause their music is great but I respect the message. :) so... yeah.
    Last edited by Seishin; 04-24-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    Well first you'd have to ask yourself why you'd never seen a sxe band play live, if its just a logistical impossibility then there are other ways in which to support and keep the scene alive and vibrant. If however you just don't want to support the scene to which you associate yourself then you have to ask yourself how that works. I think that the want to show support and active participation in hardcore is a vital part of being straightedge and keeping straightedge as something unique. I don't think that going to shows is the only way to support hardcore but it is a prevalent one.
    Ok thankyou.

Thread Information