Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: master list

Quote Originally Posted by XbriX
    anti-flag does refer to themselves as straight edge. If you've read or watched interviews they discuss the subject often. To be the best you can be is a straightedge idea, which is a main idea within their song writing. They are more of a politicaly based band, but they have straightedge ideas within their song wrtiting, in each of their ablums.

everything that I've seen in interviews says that they are drug free and don't use the term straight edge. They don't play hardcore shows, they don't play with straight edge bands, They aren't a hardcore band, so I'm at a loss why you'd think they'd be straight edge, when they're not actually contributing to the straight edge community in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    everything that I've seen in interviews says that they are drug free and don't use the term straight edge. They don't play hardcore shows, they don't play with straight edge bands, They aren't a hardcore band, so I'm at a loss why you'd think they'd be straight edge, when they're not actually contributing to the straight edge community in any way shape or form.
    Actually they have played with straight edge bands such as cancer bats and rise against. They have played shows with hardcore bands, they may not be a hardcore band themselves but i can't see why, if they themselves have said they are a straight edge band, for example on the death of a nation dvd interview Justin Sane says, "
    We are a straight edge band in that we don't smoke or do drugs, we will not be against anyone who does...", are not a straight edge bands when in their song writing they speak of straight edge ideas. They are not a hardcore band, they are a punk band who is straight edge. If you have listened to their music in depth you would see that they support the lifestyle. To me i see them as nothing but straight edge. I can see how you would disagree if you don't know their music well, on the outside they might seem everything but straight egde but when indeed they are
    "You push and push a people, what are they to do?
    Soon this corporate run government will be through
    See, it doesn't represent the people anymore
    Big business are the pimps and governments' their whores"

Pat Thetic - Anti-Flag Pop Culture Interview

"MG: A lot of "left wing" people kind of whine, you guys make things happen for yourselves. You're all pretty straight edge...

Pat (Drummer): Yes! We find that that's a better way for us to live and get through our lives.

MG: Although not users, based on what I'm reading, you're against criminalization of drugs?

P: We're against drug laws that criminalize addiction for sure. I think that addiction is a medical condition, the real problem with drug use are in the laws and the criminalization of the use. "

source: http://www.popculturemadness.com/int.../AntiFlag.html

Actually they have played with straight edge bands such as cancer bats and rise against. They have played shows with hardcore bands, they may not be a hardcore band themselves but i can't see why, if they themselves have said they are a straight edge band, for example on the death of a nation dvd interview Justin Sane says, "
    We are a straight edge band in that we don't smoke or do drugs, we will not be against anyone who does...", are not a straight edge bands when in their song writing they speak of straight edge ideas. They are not a hardcore band, they are a punk band who is straight edge. If you have listened to their music in depth you would see that they support the lifestyle. To me i see them as nothing but straight edge. I can see how you would disagree if you don't know their music well, on the outside they might seem everything but straight egde but when indeed they are
    I think you and most of the people here have very very different ideas about what straight edge is, because no one here would consider rise against, a straight edge band either. They aren't in any way contributing to the modern straight edge culture. This is what seems to be the crux of the issue, straight edge is about a lot more than just what someone doesn't do. There's a whole lifestyle and subculture that exists that bands like Rise Against and Anti-Flag have absolutely nothing to do with. Again, the lifestyle is more than just not doing drugs or smoking.

Pat Thetic - Anti-Flag Pop Culture Interview

"MG: A lot of "left wing" people kind of whine, you guys make things happen for yourselves. You're all pretty straight edge...

Pat (Drummer): Yes! We find that that's a better way for us to live and get through our lives.

MG: Although not users, based on what I'm reading, you're against criminalization of drugs?

P: We're against drug laws that criminalize addiction for sure. I think that addiction is a medical condition, the real problem with drug use are in the laws and the criminalization of the use. "

source: http://www.popculturemadness.com/int.../AntiFlag.html
    and this just illustrates the point, they're misusing the term straight edge, to mean simply being against drug use, when it's more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    I think you and most of the people here have very very different ideas about what straight edge is, because no one here would consider rise against, a straight edge band either. They aren't in any way contributing to the modern straight edge culture. This is what seems to be the crux of the issue, straight edge is about a lot more than just what someone doesn't do. There's a whole lifestyle and subculture that exists that bands like Rise Against and Anti-Flag have absolutely nothing to do with. Again, the lifestyle is more than just not doing drugs or smoking.
    Rise Against, again, i disagree is a straight edge band. Tim McIlrath speaks of it often in interviews, absoultly none you have seen or read. It is really difficult for me to grasp why they are not a straight edge band, you said yourself if a band says they are, like a person, they are. If a band speaks of straight edge ideas, says they are straight edge. I have been to straight edge hardcore shows and know about the subculture. I think that people lose sight of bands who play bigger shows, sometimes stadiums because its not so closely involved as some bands are. It may easier to say bands are more involved in the scene when they are right there all the time. If a person or a band believes in straight edge, has it in their song writing, gives people hope, are positive what is wrong with that. how are they not straight edge. Explain how they are not contruibuting to the culture. how are they not? if they speak of their beliefs, maybe let younger generations learn about straight edge, thats not being involved? Or they have to be a hardcore band that only plays shows with other hardcore straight edge bands, with x's on their hands, i've been to those shows and people forget we are human beings that believe in something good. Who is anyone to judge anyone making a great life desicion. Why, if they say their are straight edge,it so wrong? Explain to me

Rise Against, again, i disagree is a straight edge band. Tim McIlrath speaks of it often in interviews, absoultly none you have seen or read. It is really difficult for me to grasp why they are not a straight edge band, you said yourself if a band says they are, like a person, they are. If a band speaks of straight edge ideas, says they are straight edge. I have been to straight edge hardcore shows and know about the subculture. I think that people lose sight of bands who play bigger shows, sometimes stadiums because its not so closely involved as some bands are. It may easier to say bands are more involved in the scene when they are right there all the time. If a person or a band believes in straight edge, has it in their song writing, gives people hope, are positive what is wrong with that. how are they not straight edge. Explain how they are not contruibuting to the culture. how are they not? if they speak of their beliefs, maybe let younger generations learn about straight edge, thats not being involved? Or they have to be a hardcore band that only plays shows with other hardcore straight edge bands, with x's on their hands, i've been to those shows and people forget we are human beings that believe in something good. Who is anyone to judge anyone making a great life desicion. Why, if they say their are straight edge,it so wrong? Explain to me
    http://www.pastepunk.com/features.php?v=118

some of the members are edge, they aren't an edge band. some of the members of afi are edge, they aren't an edge band. One of the dudes in fall out boy is edge, so would you say they are contributing to the edge culture as well?

The bands you've listed have no connection to the straight edge scene at all, so why would you say that they do? How can a band, that isn't hardcore. doesn't play hardcore shows, and isn't involved with the hardcore scene at all show younger kids about something they themselves are as a band, not a part of? Do you have any idea how much shit was caused by Davey Havok having a kid X'ing up in an afi video, because a bunch of kids thought it had something to do with AFI?

Someone should get a list of every band thats been said so far.

Here are some more straight edge bands:
    xRepresentx
    xDisciplex AD
    xRetaliatory Strikex
    CDC
    Search Bloc
    Taste the Steel
    Blood Of The Martyr
    Stand Firm
    xTyrantx
    xKill Everyonex
    Fear Tradition
    xTo This Dayx
    Rhinoceros
    Domestic War
    Unit 731
    The Teen Idles
    Hoods
    Chain of Strength
    XfilesX
    Project X
    Casey Jones
    Just Say Go
    Crippled Youth
    Stop & Think
    Sacred Pledge
    XReign of TerrorX

Speaking of xReign of Terrorx, has anyone heard them/heard of them? If so, what do you think about them(or he) I don't know how many members or if there is just one, so ill just say xROTx. xROTx is straight edge rap. I think xROTx is good, i like their songs a lot but what do you guys think about them not being hardcore. If you havn't heard xROTx listen to them, i would love to know what you think. Here is there myspace myspace.com/xreignofterrorx
    I think the song "Torch the Grey Area" is incredible. The lyrics are fantastic. If your going to listen to xROTx or have listened to xROTx and havn't heard that song definitely listen to it.
    Summer of Hate

Im A Person Just Like You but I like to fuck some shoes D1988's Avatar
    I think Reign Of Terror is horrible. I think it's just the one guy but I really don't know to be honest. Seventh Dagger overall gets a thumbs down from me.
    I'm a person just like you
    but I like to fuck some shoes
    On the sofa or in my bed
    It's better than getting head
    Tie the laces on my schlong
    'cos of a nike air max it's standing strong
    I'll even hump it till i bleed
    normal sex life i don't need

Registered User xcriterionmasterx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xcriterionmasterx
    i was wondering if you guys can help me compile a list of every band that has been edge past or present?

here is my list: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/criter...t_and_present_

it isn't in any order. but just search the site and tell me what bands i have forgot. i may also have formed in/disbanded in what year questions at some point, too.
    please help. also, if someone would compile all that have already been said, that would be a great help. any band that i don't have years they formed or disbanded you can also tell me those, too. i am still working on it, but all help is appreciated.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    please help. also, if someone would compile all that have already been said, that would be a great help. any band that i don't have years they formed or disbanded you can also tell me those, too. i am still working on it, but all help is appreciated.
    cfa, anti-flag, strife, refused,good riddance were not edge bands. I'd also like to know why Sage Francis is on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtD
    cfa, anti-flag, strife, refused,good riddance were not edge bands. I'd also like to know why Sage Francis is on the list.
    "Refused was a hardcore band originating from Umeå, Sweden. They formed in early 1991 with Dennis Lyxzén, David Sandström, Pär Hansson and Jonas Lidgren and released their first demo, Refused, the same year. The band went on to release one more demo, five EPs and three albums (not including The Demo Compilation or The EP Compilation) before breaking up in 1998. Refused's final line-up consisted of the members Dennis Lyxzén, David Sandström, Kristofer Steen and Jon Brännström who released everything from Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent (1996) to the definitive album The Shape of Punk to Come. In this album, Refused drew heavily on the influence of the Washington, D.C. hardcore band, Nation of Ulysses, New York hardcore band Born Against, as well as the writings of Karl Marx, anarchist Errico Malatesta, and the Situationist International. The band were already well known for their vegan and straight edge stances."

"Strife released their second album, In This Defiance in 1997. This album was also well regarded by the straight edge/hardcore community. It was also notable for the guest appearances, with Chino Moreno of Deftones, Dino Cazares of Fear Factory and Igor Cavalera of Sepultura all taking turns on the album.

Two years later, Strife broke up, citing creative differences and exhaustion. Victory Records released Truth Through Defiance, a compilation of live tracks and previously unreleased material.

In 2000, Strife reunited to play several benefit concerts, and by the following year had officially reformed and released Angermeans. No longer straight edge, this album was considered by the band to be a more mature and focused continuation of In This Defiance. The band received some criticism from former fans for no longer being straight edge."

GR - was a vegan band, i don't know if they were straight edge.

sage is straight edge, he talks about it in some songs (according to a friend). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Francis

"As the early ‘Edge’ bands such as Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, SSD, and Cause for Alarm began to tour the nation, their beliefs and values began to catch on. " http://www.thecornernews.com/index.p...straight-edge/

anti-flag is all straight edge, but don't promote it, at least to my knowledge, so i will take them off, or note that.

not sure if they are on the list but i'm gonna put em up anyway:

The Swarm
    XfilesX
    Purification
    Prayer For Cleansing
    Arkangel
    Seven Generations
    Gather
    Chokehold
    It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    "Refused was a hardcore band originating from Umeå, Sweden. They formed in early 1991 with Dennis Lyxzén, David Sandström, Pär Hansson and Jonas Lidgren and released their first demo, Refused, the same year. The band went on to release one more demo, five EPs and three albums (not including The Demo Compilation or The EP Compilation) before breaking up in 1998. Refused's final line-up consisted of the members Dennis Lyxzén, David Sandström, Kristofer Steen and Jon Brännström who released everything from Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent (1996) to the definitive album The Shape of Punk to Come. In this album, Refused drew heavily on the influence of the Washington, D.C. hardcore band, Nation of Ulysses, New York hardcore band Born Against, as well as the writings of Karl Marx, anarchist Errico Malatesta, and the Situationist International. The band were already well known for their vegan and straight edge stances."

"Strife released their second album, In This Defiance in 1997. This album was also well regarded by the straight edge/hardcore community. It was also notable for the guest appearances, with Chino Moreno of Deftones, Dino Cazares of Fear Factory and Igor Cavalera of Sepultura all taking turns on the album.

Two years later, Strife broke up, citing creative differences and exhaustion. Victory Records released Truth Through Defiance, a compilation of live tracks and previously unreleased material.

In 2000, Strife reunited to play several benefit concerts, and by the following year had officially reformed and released Angermeans. No longer straight edge, this album was considered by the band to be a more mature and focused continuation of In This Defiance. The band received some criticism from former fans for no longer being straight edge."

GR - was a vegan band, i don't know if they were straight edge.

sage is straight edge, he talks about it in some songs (according to a friend). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Francis

"As the early ‘Edge’ bands such as Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, SSD, and Cause for Alarm began to tour the nation, their beliefs and values began to catch on. " http://www.thecornernews.com/index.p...straight-edge/

anti-flag is all straight edge, but don't promote it, at least to my knowledge, so i will take them off, or note that.
    ok. being vegan but not edge doesn't make them an edge band. Russ is edge though, but that's it.
    The whole "straight edge rap" is bullshit. Straight edge is hardcore.
    CFA was not edge anyway.
    Yeah, therefore Anti flag is not a straight edge band.

what are you trying to achieve with this list by the way? It can never be complete you know...

Quote Originally Posted by SgtD
    ok. being vegan but not edge doesn't make them an edge band. Russ is edge though, but that's it.
    The whole "straight edge rap" is bullshit. Straight edge is hardcore.
    CFA was not edge anyway.
    Yeah, therefore Anti flag is not a straight edge band.

what are you trying to achieve with this list by the way? It can never be complete you know...
    straight edge can be rap, since my feeling is most rap ripped off hardcore anyways. the lyrical content, "having a message", etc. and if they rap about straight edge things and are straight edge, then i count them. their talent wasn't hardcore, it was rapping, that doesn't mean they weren't heavily influenced by hardcore, it just means they wanted to rap about straight edge rather than scream about it. and xreign of terrorx raps during hardcore songs, too. and is the guitarist of some hardcore bands. so obviously he is involved with hardcore.

well, the site has many lists, and many of them i have used over the years. they are basically like for information and whatnot. and i noticed there were many many punk/hardcore lists, but no one had ever made a straight edge list. so i decided to. i know it is never going to be "complete", because that is fucking impossible, with all the local bands from different areas and whatnot. but it is a fun thing for me to try and do, and hopefully people will look at it, and be able to see the progression of straight edge, too. with teen idles/minor threat, to youth crew, hardline, metalcore straight edge, youth crew revival, some sxe rap, even some straight edge grindcore. :]

and i will take anti-flag and cfa off, thanks. and the vegan bands.

Thread Information