Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Introduction

Mallrat

Newbie Introduction

Hey guys, newbie to the board. Found this a couple of days ago and figured it's a cool way to talk to other people like me.

So, a few things about me...

I found about Straight Edge while watching pro wrestling, strangely enough. I went to a show my freshman year of high school for an independent promotion called Jersey Championship Wrestling and they were having a tournament. One wrestler I was following throughout the tournament because he was really impressive was this guy named C.M. Punk. He had a great intro song (A.F.I. Miseria Cantare) and cool X's on his wrist tape across his hands. All the while I was wondering what they were for and what the words "straight edge" tattooed across his stomach meant. So after the show I happened to catch him backstage and asked him what it was all about, and he explained Straight Edge for me. Real nice guy. (And for any pro wrestling fans, in my opinion, one of the best out there today)

After learning all this, I realized, "Wow, I've been straight edge all my life and didn't realize it." And when I learned that there was a way that I could express it, I felt even more apart of a greater cause.

I had always felt left out, not fit to be apart of any social cliques. It felt awkward not to be involved with anyone while trying to be unique at the same time. I didn't like to drink. I didn't want to do drugs. I had no intention of treating sex like it was a hobby. I didn't know where to look to. When I finally found that there were people like me out there as well, who happened to have a lot in common with me, I felt better about being who I was and who I am today.
    "I love the smell of commerce in the morning." - Brodie

Quote Originally Posted by Mallrat
    Hey guys, newbie to the board. Found this a couple of days ago and figured it's a cool way to talk to other people like me.

I found about Straight Edge while watching pro wrestling, strangely enough. I went to a show my freshman year of high school for an independent promotion called Jersey Championship Wrestling and they were having a tournament. One wrestler I was following throughout the tournament because he was really impressive was this guy named C.M. Punk. He had a great intro song (A.F.I. Miseria Cantare) and cool X's on his wrist tape across his hands. All the while I was wondering what they were for and what the words "straight edge" tattooed across his stomach meant. So after the show I happened to catch him backstage and asked him what it was all about, and he explained Straight Edge for me. Real nice guy. (And for any pro wrestling fans, in my opinion, one of the best out there today)

After learning all this, I realized, "Wow, I've been straight edge all my life and didn't realize it." And when I learned that there was a way that I could express it, I felt even more apart of a greater cause.

I had always felt left out, not fit to be apart of any social cliques. It felt awkward not to be involved with anyone while trying to be unique at the same time. I didn't like to drink. I didn't want to do drugs. I had no intention of treating sex like it was a hobby. I didn't know where to look to. When I finally found that there were people like me out there as well, who happened to have a lot in common with me, I felt better about being who I was and who I am today.
    Welcome. The real concern I have with people coming into things via CM Punk is that they may not be getting a full picture of what straight edge is, so I'm a little curious as to how he described it to you and what he said straight edge was.

http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    ...and on that note, we cue the music...
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

Mallrat
    He just flat out told me, "No drugs, no drinking, and no casual sex." These were things I had always thought of anyways, so I realized that inside I was always Straight Edge, I just didn't have anything to call it by.

He just flat out told me, "No drugs, no drinking, and no casual sex." These were things I had always thought of anyways, so I realized that inside I was always Straight Edge, I just didn't have anything to call it by.
    that's what I was afraid of. that's part of what straight edge is, but not all of it. This history of it does a pretty good job of outlining what edge is and what's it's about. http://www.straightedge.com/whatissxe.html

Mallrat
    Oh, dude, totally told me about Minor Threat, the meaning of the X, and a lot more. I just gave the abriged version. Hope that clears things up. I know it's not as popular as it once was, but hopefully this culture won't die.

Oh, dude, totally told me about Minor Threat, the meaning of the X, and a lot more. I just gave the abriged version. Hope that clears things up. I know it's not as popular as it once was, but hopefully this culture won't die.
    the thing that always worries me about it is that from other people who have come into it via wrestling is that they don't understand how important the music side of it is, that it's more than just a series of beliefs and that sometimes the message gets muddied, ie. you thinking that straight edge means no casual sex.

Mallrat
    Well maybe I got that part wrong but I do know a lot about the music side of it. I'm a big fan of punk rock and hardcore and as far as the sex thing goes, I know from many others telling me that it's basically something you reserve for a committed relationship which I do with my girlfriend who I am very committed to.

Oh, and thanks for that link to the website about the history. Now I've got something to give to others if they want to know about it.

Well maybe I got that part wrong but I do know a lot about the music side of it. I'm a big fan of punk rock and hardcore and as far as the sex thing goes, I know from many others telling me that it's basically something you reserve for a committed relationship which I do with my girlfriend who I am very committed to.

Oh, and thanks for that link to the website about the history. Now I've got something to give to others if they want to know about it.
    what edge bands are you into?

and as far as the sex thing goes, if out of step was never written we wouldn't be having this conversation. There's a massive amount of misunderstanding about sex and how it relates to straight edge. THe reality is that with exception of out of step, there's just not very many references to sex within straight edge. So people just go back to that one song because a lot of the time, that's where their knowledge of straight edge begins and ends with Minor Threat. Problem being that there is 20 years of history now between that band, Ian rejecting what straight edge has become, and now.

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar

I just have 1 question about your post. How is it you have been sXe all your life.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

No Pain, No Gain Gia De Los Muertos's Avatar

Another Newbie

I'm waiting for the crucification now, but I am a newbie, but not in a good way. I have been into the Punk-rock & hardcore scene since I was 11 years old. But unlike the rest of you, I have not been clean or sober for a very long time. I started smoking at 10, drinking at 12, and cocaine when I was 15. Yes, I was very self-distructive. I know that there are alot of haters out there against the straight-edge scene, but I have never felt that way. Even in my darkest hour, I always looked up to those with the self-respect to stay clean and sober.

I have stopped doing all drugs, drinking and promiscious sex. I am having alot of difficulty with people about this, but those are people I am cutting out of my life. It seems like people that were family to you begin to hate you for bettering yourself, well looks like I can live a long life without ever having to worry about them.

My life has been a living hell that I put myself into and I'm ready to be the strongest I have ever been and walk on my own two feet for once. With the help of a couple old straight-edge friends and my family, I am clean and sober and will never return no matter how difficult it becomes.

I have lost too many friends to cocaine and booze, and hurt myself too badly. My ex- best friend is my anti-drug. At almost 25 years old, she steals money from the rich grandparents she lives with to snort 2 and 3 grams of coke and buy 750 mL of whiskey every night. I stopped being her friend hoping it would make her stop, she went on a rampage. Then she went missing for 5 days. I got calls from her family wondering where she was and I was sickened. I called her cell phone repeatedly and left messages crying and begging her just to let me know she was okay. Then on day 5, she just walked into her grandparent's home barefoot and in the clothes from the last time they saw her, ignored everyone, took a shower and went back out to party. I guess people don't care that that shit destroys everyone around you.

I know alot of you are very devout, and I know how much pride you have, believe me on that one. I got all the respect for you old-schoolers as much as you new-school kids. It was very hard for me to write what I have, so no disrespect to anyone,but these are steps I got to take. No, I am not doing this JUST to sober up. The punk and hardcore scene are very important to me, they are my life. I have tattoos that I cannot cover for a reason. At this point though, I got to give back and give the kids someone to look upto and not down to. It hurts to have to face your mistakes, but no pain, no gain right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gia De Los Muertos
    I'm waiting for the crucification now, but I am a newbie, but not in a good way. I have been into the Punk-rock & hardcore scene since I was 11 years old. But unlike the rest of you, I have not been clean or sober for a very long time. I started smoking at 10, drinking at 12, and cocaine when I was 15. Yes, I was very self-distructive. I know that there are alot of haters out there against the straight-edge scene, but I have never felt that way. Even in my darkest hour, I always looked up to those with the self-respect to stay clean and sober.

I have stopped doing all drugs, drinking and promiscious sex. I am having alot of difficulty with people about this, but those are people I am cutting out of my life. It seems like people that were family to you begin to hate you for bettering yourself, well looks like I can live a long life without ever having to worry about them.

My life has been a living hell that I put myself into and I'm ready to be the strongest I have ever been and walk on my own two feet for once. With the help of a couple old straight-edge friends and my family, I am clean and sober and will never return no matter how difficult it becomes.

I have lost too many friends to cocaine and booze, and hurt myself too badly. My ex- best friend is my anti-drug. At almost 25 years old, she steals money from the rich grandparents she lives with to snort 2 and 3 grams of coke and buy 750 mL of whiskey every night. I stopped being her friend hoping it would make her stop, she went on a rampage. Then she went missing for 5 days. I got calls from her family wondering where she was and I was sickened. I called her cell phone repeatedly and left messages crying and begging her just to let me know she was okay. Then on day 5, she just walked into her grandparent's home barefoot and in the clothes from the last time they saw her, ignored everyone, took a shower and went back out to party. I guess people don't care that that shit destroys everyone around you.

I know alot of you are very devout, and I know how much pride you have, believe me on that one. I got all the respect for you old-schoolers as much as you new-school kids. It was very hard for me to write what I have, so no disrespect to anyone,but these are steps I got to take. No, I am not doing this JUST to sober up. The punk and hardcore scene are very important to me, they are my life. I have tattoos that I cannot cover for a reason. At this point though, I got to give back and give the kids someone to look upto and not down to. It hurts to have to face your mistakes, but no pain, no gain right?
    why would anyone crucify you? seems to me like you've got your shit together and know the score.

Yeah, but sometimes it can come off the wrong way. Like a scene hopper. Just didn't want to come off as disrespectful, but thank you. Even a little support goes a long way.
    When the 'Angel of Death' comes looking for me, I hope I was everything I was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia De Los Muertos
    Yeah, but sometimes it can come off the wrong way. Like a scene hopper. Just didn't want to come off as disrespectful, but thank you. Even a little support goes a long way.
    nah don't worry about it. people make choices all the time. yeah it takes time to show commitment, but if you're doubting people from the beginning it doesn't get you anywhere.

commitment is the most difficult and rewarding part.
    When the 'Angel of Death' comes looking for me, I hope I was everything I was supposed to be.

Thread Information