Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Straight Edge On The Warped Tour

Quote Originally Posted by azashi
    AFI are one of the straightedged bands - well...two of the members anyways =P Ahh. Damnit, I really wanna go to the Warped Tour cause they're playing at the Thunderbird Stadium at Vancouver. You know what? I think I'll stalk whatever band I can find on the UBC campus. Lol.
    Why do kids think AFI is a straight edge band?

Wont die until I've lived
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    Why do kids think AFI is a straight edge band?

I don't know? Davey Havok runs around naked backstage after shooting up. Saw it with my own two eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by xJONNYSCREAMx
    I don't know? Davey Havok runs around naked backstage after shooting up. Saw it with my own two eyes.

Isn't Davey Edge? I know the band isnt an edge band, but I thought Davey was.

Wont die until I've lived
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004
    Isn't Davey Edge? I know the band isnt an edge band, but I thought Davey was.
    Nope!

Semi-Intelligent Entity xCrucialDudex's Avatar
    then what distinguishes it the most are the vocals.

hardcore vocals are very distinct, especially in contrast with "metal" ones.
    what does that mean?

How hardcore vocals are *very* distinct when so many bands sing in a really different manner?

That doesn't help to distinguish *true* hardcore band from the marketed one.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrue till deathx
    what does that mean?

How hardcore vocals are *very* distinct when so many bands sing in a really different manner?

That doesn't help to distinguish *true* hardcore band from the marketed one.
    how can they sing in a very different manner and still be hardcore? Provide examples of in support of this statement. When you compare bands like the answer, blue monday, verse, have heart, to 18 visions, throwdown, you're going to try and tell me that my statement doesn't hold?

how can they sing in a very different manner and still be hardcore?
    same question here, how can they have very distinct vocals while they sound different within the genre?

you mean to say that any band performing vocally the way exactly
    the answer, blue monday, verse, have heart
    are to be regarded as a proper hardcore band?

Is that your point?

same question here, how can they have very distinct vocals while they sound different within the genre?

you mean to say that any band performing vocally the way exactly
    if they sound completely different, they're not part of the same genre. you're somehow trying to say that they are?

are to be regarded as a proper hardcore band?

Is that your point?
    that is the point. they all have similar vocals. now, provide some support for your statement.

if they sound completely different, they're not part of the same genre. you're somehow trying to say that they are?
    yes, if they sound different (not completely as you added) vocally.
    Take MT and Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage.

Does MT vocally sounds similar to Hatebreed? (difference within the genre)
    MT vocally sounds different to Killswitch Engage (difference between the genres)
    Killswitch Engage vocally sounds quite similar to Hatebreed (difference between genres: hxc and new breed of metal incorporating hardcore vocals, let alone singer's appearance -> i don't push it as a a distinctive characteristic, rather as a sidenote; hardcore vocalist singing hardcore vocals in the metal band)

Now add xLooking Forwardx and/or Ignite and we have a spectrum of different types of vocal performance within the genre.

How how can one differentiate anything according to your statement?
    I can't.

that is the point. they all have similar vocals. now, provide some support for your statement.
    there is sense in such approach, by all means.
    I personally, tend to distinguish hardcore bands primarily by type of vocal performance as well as lyrics, then goes music itself of course.

You see, you were saying previously that kids nowadays take any band and think it to be hardcore, and you act as if you know that that's not right and you've got your arguments.
    If there are more of you arguments like this one you're far from knowing the whole deal either.

Get it right please. You obviously know about hxc scene more than me, but your concrete statement just doesn't answer the question you were asked.

yes, if they sound different (not completely as you added) vocally.
    Take MT and Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage.

Does MT vocally sounds similar to Hatebreed? (difference within the genre)
    MT vocally sounds different to Killswitch Engage (difference between the genres)
    Killswitch Engage vocally sounds quite similar to Hatebreed (difference between genres: hxc and new breed of metal incorporating hardcore vocals, let alone singer's appearance -> i don't push it as a a distinctive characteristic, rather as a sidenote; hardcore vocalist singing hardcore vocals in the metal band)

Now add xLooking Forwardx and/or Ignite and we have a spectrum of different types of vocal performance within the genre.

How how can one differentiate anything according to your statement?
    I can't.
    you're trying to compare music 20 years apart with recent music. you're not trying to compare apples to apples. 80s hardcore vocals all sound similar.

I'm not quite sure what the point of your post is? hardcore vocals are distinct from "metal" ones, ie 18 visions and throwdown, which is what is actually being discussed. For your argument to hold any water, hardcore wouldn't have any distinquishing characteristics and genre's wouldn't exist.

you're trying to compare music 20 years apart with recent music. you're not trying to compare apples to apples. 80s hardcore vocals all sound similar.

I'm not quite sure what the point of your post is? hardcore vocals are distinct from "metal" ones, ie 18 visions and throwdown, which is what is actually being discussed. For your argument to hold any water, hardcore wouldn't have any distinquishing characteristics and genre's wouldn't exist.
    A lot of hardcore bands sound very different vocally though. Take 100 Demons and Sworn Enemy and compare them to Blue Monday or Verse. All 4 bands are hxc, however 100 Demons and Sworn enemy have very different vocals from Blue Monday and Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman004
    A lot of hardcore bands sound very different vocally though. Take 100 Demons and Sworn Enemy and compare them to Blue Monday or Verse. All 4 bands are hxc, however 100 Demons and Sworn enemy have very different vocals from Blue Monday and Verse.

100 demons market themselves in metal circles as well as citing influence from metal artists and their metal influence is very audible much more so than any flavour of hardcore. Sworn enemy also do this neither band are straight up hardcore bands regardless of any influence they have taken from hardcore and both sound more like metal. Verse and blue monday are straight up hardcore and straight up hardcore is very different from the other bands you mentioned.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

i didnt wanna look thru all 14 pages so i dont know if anyone said this but remembering never was one edge band that played warped.

I do it intentionally, since... well lets be fair - that all is hardcore.

I can remeber you said in here that you tend to think about the development of hardcore in waves, so yeah that'll confuse you pretty well.

If you shrink the scope of appliance for your statement and you are going to use this parallelism in similarity of vocal performance of hardcore bands as distinguishing characteristic - that's ok. It'll serve you well, I believe.

Looking at hardcore more widely you'll need even more sophisticated formulas to draw the line between real and fake hardcore.

Thread Information