Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 736 to 750 of 864

Thread: Can You Be Christian And Straight Edge?

  1. #736
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by w.wright690 View Post
    Can you give me your personal deffinition of logic. not the dictionary one that you showed before.
    that is my definition of logic, there's no reason for me to have a personal one when that one fits exactly what I've been talking about.


    maybe i made my first statement a little too quickly. those things did happen back then and some were aided by alchohol. but jesus didnt just made it for a wedding, where it was necessary.
    it wasn't necessary, it was a custom. According to John it happened after they had run out of wine, after the ceremony. It wasn't necessary at all, it was a party. There were plenty of people that didn't drink alcohol at the time. The drinking of alcohol, then and now was part of the culture and something expected and accepted. This was a culture that Jesus accepted and condoned and a culture that people that are straight edge reject.


    What are you basing this off of? there were people that drank too much or just drank but didnt get drunk. i have never seen anything that says that there were people who didnt drink at all because its wrong.
    buddhism predates christianity and states that the consumption of alcohol is wrong. John the Baptist didn't drink alcohol at all.

    Let me ask you this...would you have a problem with alchohol if you couldnt get drunk? im pretty sure the answer is no. you have a problem with getting drunk as did jesus. jesus never said that we are obligated to drink alchohol. although at the last supper he did say that we should remember him. and christians practice that at communion with wine. but they drink like a tablespoon. i see nothing wrong with drinking a tablespoon to remember your god. if you do i guess thats find it just makes no snese to me since the only reason you have a problem with it is that you can get drunk. and you cant get drunk off of a tablespoon.
    Your question doesn't make sense, because the issue with alcohol are the effects. If you take away those effects then it doesn't really matter. I have a problem with the consumption of alcohol in any amount for any reason. I have a problem with a religion that condones the use of alcohol while at the same time condemning drunkenness. I believe that it's a pointless substance that should be avoided completely because of what it does and the effects it has on people. I think that anyone who would drink alcohol because of their religion cannot be straight edge, because they clearly do not have a strong moral issue with the consumption of alcohol.

  2. #737
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    xLos Angelesx
    Posts
    4

    Christianity...

    Christianity is plagued with contradiction and hypocrisy. I chose to give up those things when I became edge. I do, however believe that there can be an ultimate authority in your life. For a lot of edgers, it is the music, the community, the brotherhood. For me, I do believe in on divine spirit, devoid of human influence. Or destruction.

    I don't think that any divine creature would waste his time walking the earth-- therefore, discounting the existence of a messiah, in my opinion.

    I do think, for those of us that have been given a second chance at life through straightedge, there must be someone in control. Because I am seldom deserving of the life I have today.

    As far as an answer to the original question-- NO. You can not be christian and straight edge.

    I like the analogy that if you don't like hardcore, you can't be edge. That's very true. But, I guess, at the same time, if you do live hardcore, you can have other musical interests.

    You can be DRUG FREE/HATE FREE/LUST FREE. Just keep your label in the appropriate context.

    This is just my opinion-- Not meant for controversy.

  3. #738
    official retarded child chadfitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    redondo
    Posts
    341
    someones gota deleate this. it keeps comin back like a damn zombie, dose anyone really enjoy arguing over the same thing with the same answers anymore?

  4. #739
    attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by chadfitzy View Post
    someones gota deleate this. it keeps comin back like a damn zombie, dose anyone really enjoy arguing over the same thing with the same answers anymore?
    i disagree, it should be made a sticky!

  5. #740
    ..... straightXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by chadfitzy View Post
    someones gota deleate this. it keeps comin back like a damn zombie, dose anyone really enjoy arguing over the same thing with the same answers anymore?

    if it was deleted it would just come back.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

  6. #741
    Registered User Just-a-fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtD View Post
    i disagree, it should be made a sticky!
    No use in making it a sticky since its the only topic there is in the religion part i guess :s
    Is there any other possible way to talk about religion related to sXe?
    Though i would like to find out if there are muslim straightedgers...
    just out of curiosity :D

  7. #742
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-fool View Post
    No use in making it a sticky since its the only topic there is in the religion part i guess :s
    Is there any other possible way to talk about religion related to sXe?
    Though i would like to find out if there are muslim straightedgers...
    just out of curiosity :D
    there are, they're just older than what's being displayed by default.

    and yes, there are muslim straight edge kids.

  8. #743
    Registered User Just-a-fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    140
    Hmm i should change my interface a bit then, so it will show older topics too.

    Anyway, i'm not an active catholic. Not many Belgian youth is.
    But if anyone asks me what my religion is i still say i'm christian.
    Why's that? Because i dont know that much of other religions yet :D
    Maybe i should read up about others somewhere else.

    Ohw yeh my opionion about being edge and Christian?
    I find it quite possible since they both follow the same basics.

  9. #744
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-fool View Post
    Hmm i should change my interface a bit then, so it will show older topics too.

    Anyway, i'm not an active catholic. Not many Belgian youth is.
    But if anyone asks me what my religion is i still say i'm christian.
    Why's that? Because i dont know that much of other religions yet :D
    Maybe i should read up about others somewhere else.

    Ohw yeh my opionion about being edge and Christian?
    I find it quite possible since they both follow the same basics.
    I would suggest going through and reading the thread, the conversation is about scriptural issues rather than a general question.

  10. #745
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    I hate to but in here, but I think that a point has been missed. Comparing sxe with Christianity, or any religion, is like apples and oranges. First, sxe does not suggest that drinking is wrong in so much as it is a 'sin.' There are no 'sins' in sxe, only the committment to abstaining from drinking since it does not give one the 'edge.' So, Christ's drinking was not a committment to maintaining an 'edge,' that ability to be ahead of a culture seduced by drugs and alcohol, but one that identified him with current Jewish culture. Edge is more for those specifically in the punk/hardcore scene. If you are not in it, then there is no reason to have an 'edge,' since drinking dulls the senses-something that is more necessary in a lifestyle in the fast lane than in the slow.

    You may find that my interpretation of sxe is not the same as your's, but the logic, assuming my interpretation is correct or acceptable is there.

  11. #746
    Registered User Segadoway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by xmountbrockenx View Post
    I hate to but in here, but I think that a point has been missed. Comparing sxe with Christianity, or any religion, is like apples and oranges. First, sxe does not suggest that drinking is wrong in so much as it is a 'sin.' There are no 'sins' in sxe, only the committment to abstaining from drinking since it does not give one the 'edge.' So, Christ's drinking was not a committment to maintaining an 'edge,' that ability to be ahead of a culture seduced by drugs and alcohol, but one that identified him with current Jewish culture. Edge is more for those specifically in the punk/hardcore scene. If you are not in it, then there is no reason to have an 'edge,' since drinking dulls the senses-something that is more necessary in a lifestyle in the fast lane than in the slow.

    You may find that my interpretation of sxe is not the same as your's, but the logic, assuming my interpretation is correct or acceptable is there.
    what is everyones obsession with apples and oranges on this forum?!
    FUCK

  12. #747
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Segadoway View Post
    what is everyones obsession with apples and oranges on this forum?!
    Hey, their good for you. And they make a point through a model one can understand. However, I could have said that the two, Christianity (or any religion) and sxe, are not the same sorts of things. The former is a religion, the latter a lifestyle associated with the hardcore/punk scene. Is that better? But you should still eat your apples and oranges. For I hear they prolong life and make one feel better.

  13. #748
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xmountbrockenx View Post
    I hate to but in here, but I think that a point has been missed. Comparing sxe with Christianity, or any religion, is like apples and oranges. First, sxe does not suggest that drinking is wrong in so much as it is a 'sin.' There are no 'sins' in sxe, only the committment to abstaining from drinking since it does not give one the 'edge.' So, Christ's drinking was not a committment to maintaining an 'edge,' that ability to be ahead of a culture seduced by drugs and alcohol, but one that identified him with current Jewish culture. Edge is more for those specifically in the punk/hardcore scene. If you are not in it, then there is no reason to have an 'edge,' since drinking dulls the senses-something that is more necessary in a lifestyle in the fast lane than in the slow.

    You may find that my interpretation of sxe is not the same as your's, but the logic, assuming my interpretation is correct or acceptable is there.
    people aren't comparing them at all, the argument is that the beliefs of one contradict the beliefs of the other. I also don't understand why you think that straight edge doesn't suggest that drinking is wrong, nor do I understand how something could be a "sin" and not wrong.

  14. #749
    Registered User XTrueColorsX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx View Post
    people aren't comparing them at all, the argument is that the beliefs of one contradict the beliefs of the other. I also don't understand why you think that straight edge doesn't suggest that drinking is wrong, nor do I understand how something could be a "sin" and not wrong.
    "Sins" and "wrong things" are two different categories. If you blurping out loud at the table this is wrong. But not a sin. If you kill someone this is a sin. xmountbrockenx try to say that for straight edge people drinking is a wrong thing. Not a sin. So when there is a church service on sunday, some dudes are drinking wine and some dudes are not. And there isn't problem for the "two sides". I think this is what he want to say...

    Some straight edge guy is vegan and think eating meat is a wrong thing, but when there is a show they sing along with straight edgers who eating meat... And no problem.

  15. #750
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrueColorsX View Post
    "Sins" and "wrong things" are two different categories. If you blurping out loud at the table this is wrong. But not a sin. If you kill someone this is a sin. xmountbrockenx try to say that for straight edge people drinking is a wrong thing. Not a sin. So when there is a church service on sunday, some dudes are drinking wine and some dudes are not. And there isn't problem for the "two sides". I think this is what he want to say...

    Some straight edge guy is vegan and think eating meat is a wrong thing, but when there is a show they sing along with straight edgers who eating meat... And no problem.
    I didn't get that impression from what he was saying at all, in fact I saw it as the opposite.

    and being christian and vegan for moral reasons is also against christian scripture for the same reason.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is this not Straight Edge?
    By BornAgainVirginDrugs in forum Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 03:41 PM
  2. sex and straight edge
    By riot17 in forum Questions
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 12:47 PM
  3. Am I becoming straight edge ?
    By Frédz in forum Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •