Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what edge is.

freeze, sucka-bitch!

what edge is.

alright-- there's a lot of controversy abound with this topic-- obviously. and it's been primarily between me and dusty for the past few weeks pounding at each other.. well, maybe not primarily -- but whatever.
    i just recently posted on the commentary thread of "i invented straightedge" that the original definition, refered by straight-edge.com web site, is an abstainance of drug use and promiscuous sex. that's it. the grandfather of origin to the straightedge movement, ian mackaye, said it himself "don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck." and i think it is widely known that the definition of those three words refers to the point that we should not consume or ingest poisons into our bodies and that you shouldn't have sex with someone you don't know and/or love. right? that's what that says. ok.
    as far as the music venturing argument goes: i understand that since ian mackaye was the front-man and first screamer of the term straightedge through his musical talents with minor threat, that the music is ALSO an origin of what straightedge means.. and that in order to raise the pace and continue the voice of what edge is, music is an essential role. also, people are an essential role.. as in you and me. we can just as easily promote what it means to be straightedge ("don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck.") without singing it to people.. literally. yes, the music might be what keeps the majority of the voice moving.. but it isn't the only aspect of what being straightedge is. it's the attitude of us. being edge is what you are, not what you listen to on your cd player - or vinyl or cassette...
    it's the passion you carry about promoting a better self, a better world, and a better life without the use of drugs and to abstain from fucking around - literally. the music is a secondary tool - not a primary. and if you think that you, as an individual, are not the primary carrier of what edge means, then there is some definite self-reflection needed on your behalf to figure yourself out..and get off that 'music-is-what-makes-you-edge' kick.. because it isn't. YOU are what makes you edge. it's like christianity (no offense to any christians) - but ALOT of christians make important and even wise decisions about an ordeal or situation - and in the end they will thank god for it all -- when, in actuallity it should be themselves they are thanking for being who they are. sure, thank god for your abilities.. but thank your self for the outcome. it's a direct similarity to being edge. thank the music for the inspiration - but give yourself the credit you deserve for being you and for sticking to your guns. that's all.
    there was never a genius without a tincture of insanity.

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    talking in circles again huh?
    You want to drink till you can't see
    You want to latch on for sympathy
    You want to fight with people you know
    You want to go where the assholes go

Do what you want but don't you do it to me

there is no "primary carrier" of what edge means... you can't add values to different parts of a definition like that. hardcore is just as important as all the other "carriers" of what edge is. if you think everyone who has been disagreeing with you is saying "music-is-what-makes-you-edge" then you have some serious comprehensive reading and critical thinking issues. what we're saying is, our drug free lifestyles being equal, music is what makes us straight edge and not you... big difference.
    "We stand and fight. Back to back. We take no shit. We stay tight. We stick together and deal with it. We use our heads and not our fists unless we're pushed. As one, we fight and we win".

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by XvagueprophetX
    there is no "primary carrier" of what edge means... you can't add values to different parts of a definition like that. hardcore is just as important as all the other "carriers" of what edge is. if you think everyone who has been disagreeing with you is saying "music-is-what-makes-you-edge" then you have some serious comprehensive reading and critical thinking issues. what we're saying is, our drug free lifestyles being equal, music is what makes us straight edge and not you... big difference.
    ok

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtD
    talking in circles again huh?
    what circles?

Quote Originally Posted by drughate_vegan
    as far as the music venturing argument goes:alright-- there's a lot of controversy abound with this topic-- obviously. and it's been primarily between me and dusty for the past few weeks pounding at each other.. well, maybe not primarily -- but whatever.
    you are just very wrong, a lot.

i just recently posted on the commentary thread of "i invented straightedge" that the original definition, refered by straight-edge.com web site, is an abstainance of drug use and promiscuous sex. that's it. the grandfather of origin to the straightedge movement, ian mackaye, said it himself "don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck." and i think it is widely known that the definition of those three words refers to the point that we should not consume or ingest poisons into our bodies and that you shouldn't have sex with someone you don't know and/or love. right? that's what that says. ok.
    Doesn't sound like the original definition to me, sounds like what happened after when people miscontrued the words to out of step and figured it was a reflection of the straightedge ideal. None of minor threats songs should be taken as an authority on straightedge as he never intended to be part of a group with that thinking and the authority is really those kids in the hardcore scene that adopted the name straightedge to identify their stance and movement against drugs. Ian Mackaye distanced himself from all of that and wanted no part of a movement, people were abstaining from drugs before he penned lyrics about it all Ian did was pen a song that had a name that people woul;d use, Ian wanted and essentially has nothing to do with that. I'm not saying there isn't an important section of history of hardcore when you look at Minor Threat but it really needs to be looked at with regards to the entirety of hardcore and not isolated out and misrepresented. Even if you do take the words "don't fuck" and take them to mean "only fuck someone you love" you still have a huge grey area of what constitutes love and what constitutes knowing someone.

as far as the music venturing argument goes: i understand that since ian mackaye was the front-man and first screamer of the term straightedge through his musical talents with minor threat, that the music is ALSO an origin of what straightedge means.. and that in order to raise the pace and continue the voice of what edge is, music is an essential role. also, people are an essential role.. as in you and me. we can just as easily promote what it means to be straightedge ("don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck.") without singing it to people.. literally. yes, the music might be what keeps the majority of the voice moving.. but it isn't the only aspect of what being straightedge is. it's the attitude of us. being edge is what you are, not what you listen to on your cd player - or vinyl or cassette...
    Being edge has always been about hardcore kids and hardcore, it is only an aspect of straightedge but it is an aspect that is inseperable. As you agree it is an aspect of being edge you should also agree that without that aspect you aren't straightedge.

it's the passion you carry about promoting a better self, a better world, and a better life without the use of drugs and to abstain from fucking around - literally. the music is a secondary tool - not a primary.
    No it is primary, hardcore music, zines, shows are primary ways in which to convey the sraightedge method, as it is about hardcore kids abstaining from drugs and building a postive scene in which they enjoy hardcore at all ages, stop trying to remove straightedge from hardcore just accept that you can't seperate them.

and if you think that you, as an individual, are not the primary carrier of what edge means, then there is some definite self-reflection needed on your behalf to figure yourself out..and get off that 'music-is-what-makes-you-edge' kick..
    I am the carrier of my own opinions, in my opinion straightedge is a positive thing, i love hardcore and i love the way the scene has progressed, as an individual i carry my beliefs, i am not straightedge as a hole in fact its a very small factor of what i carry, i cannot remove straightedge from what it already is and change it and claim that is what it is because i individually think so. Thats a retarded way of thinking, how can you say that a mucis based subculture like straightedge is still the same if you remove the music. Its a subculture so one person, one individual is not the carrier, the scene as a whole is and that scene is an exclusively hardcore scene.

because it isn't. YOU are what makes you edge. it's like christianity (no offense to any christians) - but ALOT of christians make important and even wise decisions about an ordeal or situation - and in the end they will thank god for it all -- when, in actuallity it should be themselves they are thanking for being who they are. sure, thank god for your abilities.. but thank your self for the outcome. it's a direct similarity to being edge. thank the music for the inspiration - but give yourself the credit you deserve for being you and for sticking to your guns. that's all.
    That was the worst annology ever and you actually disproved your own point in that.
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    ok.

xXx One Sick Puppy xXx stepinsideissue's Avatar
    You STILL don't get it do you.
    This so called shit is what I live for. It's why I'm alive. I'll never smother the fire forever burning inside.

I'm at the point where I'm sucked in. By the message I get this passion.

The fury is mine. It keeps me alive. I can't breathe till I release what's inside.

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by stepinsideissue
    You STILL don't get it do you.
    yes, i do. i just don't believe you.

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by straightXed
    you are just very wrong, a lot.

Doesn't sound like the original definition to me, sounds like what happened after when people miscontrued the words to out of step and figured it was a reflection of the straightedge ideal. None of minor threats songs should be taken as an authority on straightedge as he never intended to be part of a group with that thinking and the authority is really those kids in the hardcore scene that adopted the name straightedge to identify their stance and movement against drugs. Ian Mackaye distanced himself from all of that and wanted no part of a movement, people were abstaining from drugs before he penned lyrics about it all Ian did was pen a song that had a name that people woul;d use, Ian wanted and essentially has nothing to do with that. I'm not saying there isn't an important section of history of hardcore when you look at Minor Threat but it really needs to be looked at with regards to the entirety of hardcore and not isolated out and misrepresented. Even if you do take the words "don't fuck" and take them to mean "only fuck someone you love" you still have a huge grey area of what constitutes love and what constitutes knowing someone.

Being edge has always been about hardcore kids and hardcore, it is only an aspect of straightedge but it is an aspect that is inseperable. As you agree it is an aspect of being edge you should also agree that without that aspect you aren't straightedge.

No it is primary, hardcore music, zines, shows are primary ways in which to convey the sraightedge method, as it is about hardcore kids abstaining from drugs and building a postive scene in which they enjoy hardcore at all ages, stop trying to remove straightedge from hardcore just accept that you can't seperate them.

I am the carrier of my own opinions, in my opinion straightedge is a positive thing, i love hardcore and i love the way the scene has progressed, as an individual i carry my beliefs, i am not straightedge as a hole in fact its a very small factor of what i carry, i cannot remove straightedge from what it already is and change it and claim that is what it is because i individually think so. Thats a retarded way of thinking, how can you say that a mucis based subculture like straightedge is still the same if you remove the music. Its a subculture so one person, one individual is not the carrier, the scene as a whole is and that scene is an exclusively hardcore scene.

That was the worst annology ever and you actually disproved your own point in that.
    you give sXe a bad name

attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    you give sXe a bad name
    if you react to that comment like that, join xBBPx, they could use some more idiots.
    You want to drink till you can't see
    You want to latch on for sympathy
    You want to fight with people you know
    You want to go where the assholes go

Do what you want but don't you do it to me

freeze, sucka-bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtD
    if you react to that comment like that, join xBBPx, they could use some more idiots.
    i declare.

you give sXe a bad name
    so that's how you deal with people who successfully punch holes in your bullshit, why do you even bother? It's not like you've been able to make a single point since you've started your crap?

Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    so that's how you deal with people who successfully punch holes in your bullshit, why do you even bother? It's not like you've been able to make a single point since you've started your crap?
    at this point it seems kinda like he posts just to piss you guys off....
    I think I'm on to something here. This is pure snow, it's everywhere. Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    at this point it seems kinda like he posts just to piss you guys off....
    I'm sure it was always the point.

Thread Information