Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: I have a question...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    71

    I have a question...

    Hey everyone,

    Iím sure you get a lot of ďHey Iím new!Ē posts but thatís not really what this is. See, in the course of recent events, Iíve decided no more drugs, or drinking or anything like that. When you hate your mother as much as I do and wake up hung over and realize youíve turned in to her, youíll do anything to make that not true. So me and a friend of mine were talking about it, and he said, ďSo....does this mean youíre straight edge now?Ē And I said no, and the thing is, I would be, but I donít think I understand everything about it, and it would be stupid for me to say Iím something that I donít fully understand.

    I have a few straight edge friends, but I came here to ask this because if I asked them they would just laugh at me and tell me Iím a retard for thinking that I could do something like this. No one around here really thinks I can do it, and I donít want to do it to prove people wrong, I just donít want to turn in to her. So, I guess the point is, what is sXe all about? I mean I know itís the music, and the ďno drugs / no drinkingĒ but thatís not all....right?

    If you donít want to answer and you think Iím stupid for asking or the way I worded this thatís fine, chances are I sound like a idiot.

    Thanks,

    -Kayleigh

  2. #2
    you're only old once... flame_still_burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    chicago.
    Posts
    1,944
    straight edge is about being involved in hardcore music, and going to shows, and doing zines and bands.

    if you decide one day not to drink...you are not straight edge.

    straight edge is based around an ideology and is tied together by hardcore music.

    people who don't listen to hardcore. have never gone to a show. don't contribute to the scene. don't desire to hear what straight edge bands sound like. etc, etc. are not straight edge.

    straight edge is not a generic blanket name for someone who doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs.

    that could be sober, or drug free, or make up a new name.

    that's my two cents.
    all there is- is in the knowing, that this never has to end.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    71
    Well see, that's just it. I used to go to shows before I moved but quite honestly I didn't think that had that much to do with it.

  4. #4
    Bad speller
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by IDanceInTheRain
    Hey everyone,

    Iím sure you get a lot of ďHey Iím new!Ē posts but thatís not really what this is. See, in the course of recent events, Iíve decided no more drugs, or drinking or anything like that. When you hate your mother as much as I do and wake up hung over and realize youíve turned in to her, youíll do anything to make that not true. So me and a friend of mine were talking about it, and he said, ďSo....does this mean youíre straight edge now?Ē And I said no, and the thing is, I would be, but I donít think I understand everything about it, and it would be stupid for me to say Iím something that I donít fully understand.

    I have a few straight edge friends, but I came here to ask this because if I asked them they would just laugh at me and tell me Iím a retard for thinking that I could do something like this. No one around here really thinks I can do it, and I donít want to do it to prove people wrong, I just donít want to turn in to her. So, I guess the point is, what is sXe all about? I mean I know itís the music, and the ďno drugs / no drinkingĒ but thatís not all....right?

    If you donít want to answer and you think Iím stupid for asking or the way I worded this thatís fine, chances are I sound like a idiot.

    Thanks,

    -Kayleigh
    Alot of people view being SxE in diffrent ways. Some say its all around hardcore music. Others says its just about not smoke/drinkn. Really thats what i find the central view around.

    Also i saw where you stated some thing about your SxE friends laughing at you cause they didnt think you can do it. True friends dont do that, true friend support you and inform you about things you have not learned.

  5. #5
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Xx-Ky-xX
    Alot of people view being SxE in diffrent ways. Some say its all around hardcore music. Others says its just about not smoke/drinkn. Really thats what i find the central view around.

    Also i saw where you stated some thing about your SxE friends laughing at you cause they didnt think you can do it. True friends dont do that, true friend support you and inform you about things you have not learned.

    alot of people are wrong. To understand what straight edge is, you have to involve the music. otherwise there isn't anything unique or special about it. you're not getting a full picture. a full understanding of what you're actually allying yourself with, because if you don't, there's a whole world going on that you have no idea about that effects how people view you when you say you're straight edge.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    71
    My main thing is, I want to know exactly what you all consider to be your limits. No drugs, that's obvious. No drinking, that's obvious. Smoking cigs? Where do you draw the line?

    And when it comes to the music, do you listen to anything else? I know my friends do, but there are people on this board who have obviously been edge for a long time, so asking you all seems more logical.

    I'm not saying I am going to turn around and do things exactly the way you do it just so I can call myself straight edge becuase that would be being a poser and that's just not me. I am confident that I could do this, and like I said, I don't want to do this to prove people wrong, I just want to find something that will keep me motivated and strong and people who wont laugh and me and do think I can do this. For example, today everyone was making bets with eachother on how long I would last. I don't want that. I want to do this and I want people to encourage me, not take bets on how long I'll last.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by IDanceInTheRain
    My main thing is, I want to know exactly what you all consider to be your limits. No drugs, that's obvious. No drinking, that's obvious. Smoking cigs? Where do you draw the line?
    Nicotine is a drug. As is caffeine. Essentially any recreational drug you can think of would be out.


    And when it comes to the music, do you listen to anything else? I know my friends do, but there are people on this board who have obviously been edge for a long time, so asking you all seems more logical.
    I definitely listen to other stuff as well as hardcore but the fact is that straightedge has always been a musical subculture and the music that it has always been inextricably linked to is hardcore. To reject the music is to reject a central aspect that has defined the subculture and kept it alive for more than two decades now. It would be like me labelling myself as a Muslim without a belief in Allah, just because most of my lifestyle is the same as that of Muslim people. It would be like me calling myself vegan if I still ate fish, just because the rest of my lifestyle was the same as a vegan and I thought the label was cool.
    "Where the hell is my riot?"

    "my true compassion is for all living things and not just the ones who are cute so i do what i can.
    i wanna save lives and i've got a plan"

    http://www.veganfitness.net

  8. #8
    Awhsome! Dummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by IDanceInTheRain
    My main thing is, I want to know exactly what you all consider to be your limits. No drugs, that's obvious. No drinking, that's obvious. Smoking cigs? Where do you draw the line?

    And when it comes to the music, do you listen to anything else? I know my friends do, but there are people on this board who have obviously been edge for a long time, so asking you all seems more logical.

    I'm not saying I am going to turn around and do things exactly the way you do it just so I can call myself straight edge becuase that would be being a poser and that's just not me. I am confident that I could do this, and like I said, I don't want to do this to prove people wrong, I just want to find something that will keep me motivated and strong and people who wont laugh and me and do think I can do this. For example, today everyone was making bets with eachother on how long I would last. I don't want that. I want to do this and I want people to encourage me, not take bets on how long I'll last.
    absolutely no ciggerettes, and don't try second hand smoking them either. i listen to many types of music. stay strong through the good times and the bad.
    G.R.O.S.S.

  9. #9
    Twatwaffle Morgedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    104
    I listen to anything i feel like, i don't feel restricted by rules, I'm comfortable in my Edge. (i dont listen to rap hip hop, or bullshit like that though) For me Straight-Edge is Gay positive, pro-feminist (anti-sexist, anti-isanthropist) anti-racist, anti-violance,(pro-moshing :) ) , anti-drug, anti-alchohol, anti-tobacco, anti-addiction. I drink coffee, but not on the last week of the month, to make sure im not addicted/get addicted. Straight-Edge is not generic, its a personal choice, you don't have to have the same choices as everyone, but we have the same cores, the Straight-Edge core, I'm not vegan, that doesn't mean I'm a poseur. (I don't eat poultry though...?) Some Edgers get into fights very often, but I'm anti-violant. Sorry about the running off on tangents there, hope gives you a bit more insight?
    xXx Mjolnir And Moshing....Hmmmm xXx

  10. #10
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgedge
    I listen to anything i feel like, i don't feel restricted by rules, I'm comfortable in my Edge. (i dont listen to rap hip hop, or bullshit like that though) For me Straight-Edge is Gay positive, pro-feminist (anti-sexist, anti-isanthropist) anti-racist, anti-violance,(pro-moshing :) ) , anti-drug, anti-alchohol, anti-tobacco, anti-addiction. I drink coffee, but not on the last week of the month, to make sure im not addicted/get addicted. Straight-Edge is not generic, its a personal choice, you don't have to have the same choices as everyone, but we have the same cores, the Straight-Edge core, I'm not vegan, that doesn't mean I'm a poseur. (I don't eat poultry though...?) Some Edgers get into fights very often, but I'm anti-violant. Sorry about the running off on tangents there, hope gives you a bit more insight?

    why would you only not drink it one week out of the month if it's addictive?

  11. #11
    http://www.rodri-go.com/ rodrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    3,786
    rap is no bullshit
    I draw and this is my siteRodri-GO!
    Tell your friends!
    Get me a job!

  12. #12
    Twatwaffle Morgedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    104
    It's addctive, but in all the time I've been drinking caffeine, I have found if I stop for an extended amount of time, I dont go into any form of remission (headaches, shaking, sleepyness e.t. cetera.)
    If I'm not addicted to it, theres no problem, I like the way it tastes, and drink de-caf when I can, and have coke when I feel like it, when I give it up for that last week (now) its to make sure I don't get addicted, and if I were to start getting headaches I would stop all together.
    xXx Mjolnir And Moshing....Hmmmm xXx

  13. #13
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgedge
    It's addctive, but in all the time I've been drinking caffeine, I have found if I stop for an extended amount of time, I dont go into any form of remission (headaches, shaking, sleepyness e.t. cetera.)
    If I'm not addicted to it, theres no problem, I like the way it tastes, and drink de-caf when I can, and have coke when I feel like it, when I give it up for that last week (now) its to make sure I don't get addicted, and if I were to start getting headaches I would stop all together.
    then why not alcohol or nicotine? why some addictive recreational drugs, but not others? What about marijuana that isn't physically addictive, why don't you use that? What makes caffeine ok but the others not?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    My own personal hell...got a problem with it?
    Posts
    10

    Question Adding to that first question...

    Okay, so we've all concurred that caffeine is addictive, but if, like me, you don't get addicted to it, is it still okay to have it? as like soda, cause i can't stand anything in the coffee family...
    personal hell girl, got an issue?????

  15. #15
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by rictusemprasxe
    Okay, so we've all concurred that caffeine is addictive, but if, like me, you don't get addicted to it, is it still okay to have it? as like soda, cause i can't stand anything in the coffee family...
    why would it be ok?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. sex question
    By XbigSETHx in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
  2. Got A Question.
    By XVigilanteX in forum Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 04:41 PM
  3. Question? Help?
    By eastcoastSXEkid in forum Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:38 AM
  4. afi question
    By painplusone in forum Other
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 06:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •