Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Hardcore vs. Hardcore punk.

  1. #1
    Grave Robber. HazardousGUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA - either in Rochester NY or in NJ
    Posts
    36

    Hardcore vs. Hardcore punk.

    Is there a difference?
    If so what is the defining line?

    Love,
    GUM.

    I'm not straight edge, I'm out of step.

  2. #2
    I dropped something xdaddydaycorex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by HazardousGUM
    Is there a difference?
    If so what is the defining line?

    Love,
    GUM.
    this will be debated i'm sure, but they are the same. hardcore punk is good to say if the people you talk to are into techno cause thats also a genre of techno/dance/electronia or if they are porn addicts.

  3. #3
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xdaddydaycorex
    this will be debated i'm sure, but they are the same. hardcore punk is good to say if the people you talk to are into techno cause thats also a genre of techno/dance/electronia or if they are porn addicts.
    they were the same at the beginning but hardcore definitely grew into it's own thing.

  4. #4
    attilla's greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandhun SgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    they were the same at the beginning but hardcore definitely grew into it's own thing.
    agreed. we play punk, but people give us labels like hardcore punk and punkhardcore, whatever that means. i think they do because we have agressive music, but we don't have any hc in our music.

  5. #5
    I dropped something xdaddydaycorex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    they were the same at the beginning but hardcore definitely grew into it's own thing.
    whats hardcore punk then?

  6. #6
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xdaddydaycorex
    whats hardcore punk then?
    an obsolete term.

  7. #7
    I dropped something xdaddydaycorex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    an obsolete term.
    yeah this was kinda my thought but the question asked was; is there a difference btw hardcore and hardcore punk, which seems to indicate that while many would agree the term is obsolete, it is still used and probably will never go away for good. so as a point of reference there is no difference.

  8. #8
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xdaddydaycorex
    yeah this was kinda my thought but the question asked was; is there a difference btw hardcore and hardcore punk, which seems to indicate that while many would agree the term is obsolete, it is still used and probably will never go away for good. so as a point of reference there is no difference.
    to use the term now to describe modern hardcore would be incorrect, but it wouldn't be to describe things like bad brains and black flag though.

  9. #9
    I dropped something xdaddydaycorex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    to use the term now to describe modern hardcore would be incorrect, but it wouldn't be to describe things like bad brains and black flag though.
    ok, i'll buy that.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kentucky....represent!
    Posts
    36
    yea hardcore definitely grew into its own little thing because everything when it started i guess you could call the same.....and hardcore punk or as i call it punkcore is that techno style porn addict thing
    XXXfight for what u believe inXXX

  11. #11
    fuck your weakness
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh-and Oley,Pa
    Posts
    27
    hardcore punk is like rise against or H2O. its more punk based and not really breakdown friendly and not always tuned down. Outbreak could maybe even be considered hardcore punk or same with the Casualties. hardcore punk is more rooted in the faster chords(power chords) and more energetic and straight foward and fast.

  12. #12
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xLAST STANDx
    hardcore punk is like rise against or H2O. its more punk based and not really breakdown friendly and not always tuned down. Outbreak could maybe even be considered hardcore punk or same with the Casualties. hardcore punk is more rooted in the faster chords(power chords) and more energetic and straight foward and fast.
    uh. no.

  13. #13
    fuck your weakness
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh-and Oley,Pa
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    uh. no.
    alright "mister, i go against everything last stand says."
    Rise Against and h20 are more on the hardcore punk side. same with the casualties. they even call themselves that. Even strike anywhere or pipedown. they are hardcore punk bands.

  14. #14
    Administrator xsecx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xLAST STANDx
    alright "mister, i go against everything last stand says."
    Rise Against and h20 are more on the hardcore punk side. same with the casualties. they even call themselves that. Even strike anywhere or pipedown. they are hardcore punk bands.
    the problem with that is that it doesn't make sense. hardcore punk was what hardcore was called when it started. the more it grew, the more it distanced itself from the roots of it. trying to attach that to bands that are around now doesn't make sense.

  15. #15
    fuck your weakness
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh-and Oley,Pa
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by xsecx
    the problem with that is that it doesn't make sense. hardcore punk was what hardcore was called when it started. the more it grew, the more it distanced itself from the roots of it. trying to attach that to bands that are around now doesn't make sense.
    true that may have happened, but it still is a type of music. bands like Strike Anywhere and Rise against arent "hardcore hardcore", theyre still 50% on the punk side. so there really is a difference. like pick up a Diecast album then h20 and compare. thats all im saying

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Crucial Hardcore Punk Archive
    By xCrucialDudex in forum Band Resources
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-25-2017, 06:14 AM
  2. Major hardcore punk retail shops
    By xCrucialDudex in forum Hardcore
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 01:56 AM
  3. Hardcore/Punk Guide To Christianity
    By xCrucialDudex in forum Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
  4. Croatian punk and hardcore
    By xJurko Kataklizmax in forum Hardcore
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •