PDA

View Full Version : hardcore styles

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
curious as to what sort of music you guys prefer?

i'd assume it's mostly between old school hardcore and new, but each has underlying genres.

personally, while i have much respect for the old school core that birthed with the early scene, i dig the newer metalcore. avant-garde metalcore like candiria (and converge, cannae, cave in, isis, meshuggah to name some others) is my favorite. other than that, i listen to my share of metalcore, death metal, black metal, and prog-metal, punk, ska, and some proto-punk and emo. i really like it when bands fuse genres for something like black metalcore, prog-metalcore, etc.

just a conversation piece...

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 12:52 PM
guitarism and riffs with a european flare is nice too! unearth exemplifies this. style points. a la beyond the sixth seal!

xsecx
03-12-2004, 01:04 PM
well. nothing you actually mentioned was hardcore. or even a style of hardcore. it's metal and for some reason people think that attaching core to the end of something gives it credibility.

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 01:47 PM
interesting. perhaps it's not traditional hardcore (a la judge, youth of today, etc.) but xsecx, core is shorthand for hardcore. and what about chuggah and the like (a la walls of jericho)?

afterall, straight-edge stems from hardcore huh...

btw, in your opinion what should i reference as hardcore?

xsecx
03-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by devilhoused
interesting. perhaps it's not traditional hardcore (a la judge, youth of today, etc.) but xsecx, core is shorthand for hardcore. and what about chuggah and the like (a la walls of jericho)?

afterall, straight-edge stems from hardcore huh...

btw, in your opinion what should i reference as hardcore?

it's metal. or something else, it's not hardcore. there is no hardcore influence other than maybe the people involved, but if you took it outside of it's context and played it for someone would they identify it as anything other than metal? most likely not.

flame_still_burns
03-12-2004, 02:35 PM
i like youth crew era hardcore...and the bands that still recycle that sound to this day. it's not ground breaking music, but it's fun.

i despise metal. i just can't into it.

i also like poppier stuff like avail, strike anywhere. maybe it's not hardcore, by definition... but it's good.

i love a lot of dc bands that may or may not fall on the fringes of hardcore.

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 02:38 PM
it's metal. or something else, it's not hardcore. there is no hardcore influence other than maybe the people involved, but if you took it outside of it's context and played it for someone would they identify it as anything other than metal? most likely not.

i see what you're saying, but i disagree partially. i say it does have hc influence if the ppl making the music are hc; how could it not if the members of the band play based on/for their hc lifestyles? i refer to x music as hc because that's what it's all about right? ie. throwndown is x, shai hulud is x. both play so-called metal right? yes, hardcore metal or metalcore.

for the record, xsecx what is hardcore music to you?

straightXed
03-12-2004, 04:03 PM
i see what you're saying, but i disagree partially. i say it does have hc influence if the ppl making the music are hc; how could it not if the members of the band play based on/for their hc lifestyles? i refer to x music as hc because that's what it's all about right? ie. throwndown is x, shai hulud is x. both play so-called metal right? yes, hardcore metal or metalcore.

for the record, xsecx what is hardcore music to you?

shai hulud arent a straight edge band.

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
shai hulud arent a straight edge band. is that right? i always thought they were. thanks for the heads up, man.

what bitter irony; shai hulud are promoted through a banner on top of these pages, right next to the sxe logo. so are hatebreed and terror, which seems appropriate, but what is shai hulud up there for? damn, an obsessive compulsive, i can be picky!

straightXed
03-12-2004, 06:24 PM
is that right? i always thought they were. thanks for the heads up, man.

what bitter irony; shai hulud are promoted through a banner on top of these pages, right next to the sxe logo. so are hatebreed and terror, which seems appropriate, but what is shai hulud up there for? damn, an obsessive compulsive, i can be picky!

i don't think its ironic.

If you look at shai huluds site they state clearly that they aren't a straight edge band even though some members may have sxe values.

xsecx
03-12-2004, 06:44 PM
is that right? i always thought they were. thanks for the heads up, man.

I also wouldn't call shai hulud metal, since it's about as metal as judge was, but judge at least had guitar solos. metal vocals? no. metal guitars? no. guitar solo's? no.

devilhoused
03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks guys...i'll save any argument. :)

i've never been to shai huluds site obviously so i was an ignorant.

i agree one can't consider their guitar riffs metal. borderline vocal tone tho... there are those that classify anything that's not sing-songy as metal. however, i agree with you.

straightXed
03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
thanks guys...i'll save any argument. :)

i've never been to shai huluds site obviously so i was an ignorant.

i agree one can't consider their guitar riffs metal. borderline vocal tone tho... there are those that classify anything that's not sing-songy as metal. however, i agree with you.

I think the content of the lyrics also makes a huge defining line between shai hulud and metal.