PDA

View Full Version : Is it considered breaking the edge when..

xJebusx
02-23-2004, 08:25 AM
...you listen to non-hardcore bands?

xsecx
02-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by xJebusx

are you serious?

xJebusx
02-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Well..yes and no. I see everyone in here listening to hardcore and like hardcore too...but it gets to the point where I don't know if I should listen to anything else.

xsecx
02-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Well..yes and no. I see everyone in here listening to hardcore and like hardcore too...but it gets to the point where I don't know if I should listen to anything else.

if you don't listen to hardcore at all you're not edge. other than that, it doesn't matter if you listen to nothing but hardcore or everything else including hardcore.

xJebusx
02-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love HC. My friend was bagging on me the other day for listening to the clash.

Sean The Red
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love HC. My friend was bagging on me the other day for listening to the clash.

there is no reason you cant listen to other things, I love hardcore, but I also love many other kinds of music. Straight Edge doesnt mean you need to be closed minded. I would attribute your friend's attitude to the youth.

xsecx
02-23-2004, 05:34 PM

you should probably tell your friend to fuck off.

xJebusx
02-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
you should probably tell your friend to fuck off.

Well put.

Dummy
02-25-2004, 09:25 PM
most the stuff i listen to dosen't even come from this century.

xsecx
03-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Dummy
most the stuff i listen to dosen't even come from this century.

that's not saying much since this century isn't that old.

sXeWrestler108
03-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Not to me, I believe music is a thing of preference. I like to think of edge being a drug free life and leave music up to the listener. I like metal and rock bands but to some peoples ears they just don't like it or like other things.

xsecx
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by sXeWrestler108
Not to me, I believe music is a thing of preference. I like to think of edge being a drug free life and leave music up to the listener. I like metal and rock bands but to some peoples ears they just don't like it or like other things.

a drug free life is a drug free life. straight edge is more than that.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Man, you guys on here think a lot differently than the Toefur board (www.toefur.com/forums), there some people listen to emo, others metal, and still others hardcore and ska. Really the only bands that people agree on are Bane and Minor Threat.

straightXed
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by EMO_kid
Man, you guys on here think a lot differently than the Toefur board (www.toefur.com/forums), there some people listen to emo, others metal, and still others hardcore and ska. Really the only bands that people agree on are Bane and Minor Threat.

that board is pretty lame, i posted there for a while but half the kids there have no idea about straightedge, where it exists and what its about.

xsecx
03-21-2004, 04:06 PM

yeah, but a lot of those people's only interaction with straight edge is over the internet, so you kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt. the whole point is, straight edge is firmly planted within hardcore. once you try and sever that tie for it to fit you, things get kind of fucked up.

and people also like to lie,
http://www.toefur.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=140603&highlight=#140603

http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=944
someone just upset that their internet lie got found out.

linsee
03-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
that board is pretty lame, i posted there for a while but half the kids there have no idea about straightedge, where it exists and what its about.

thats because most of them probably only know what straight edge is through the internet. its more than that. its somethin you are a part of. its supporting straight edge bands, its being a part of something.

its more than an internet message board.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Haha... funny, that first example thread is by me. You guys are lame asses.

xsecx
03-21-2004, 07:11 PM

hey genius, the first example thread has nothing to do with you, or anything you posted and everything to do with kids lying about what they do and who they are.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, it's kind of crazy that I posted that and then you posted a link to it. And where in there is an internet lie?

xsecx
03-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, it's kind of crazy that I posted that and then you posted a link to it. And where in there is an internet lie?

http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=944

the system of destruction kid is the same person and gutter punk crew.

and basically everything that kid said on toefur was a lie, including everything about himself and his other personality, positive youth crew and or drug free adult.

linsee
03-21-2004, 07:24 PM

we're lame asses for answering your questions? that makes sense.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
There's a positive_youth_crew on Toefur, but how is he lying?

xsecx
03-21-2004, 07:32 PM
There's a positive_youth_crew on Toefur, but how is he lying?

go read the thread that's on here. they're made up people. one claims to be in california. one claims to be in nj. but both are the same person and both live in rural virginia.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Why would you do something like that? Of all the things you could be on the internet, I'm sure he could find something "cooler" than being edge.

xsecx
03-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Why would you do something like that? Of all the things you could be on the internet, I'm sure he could find something "cooler" than being edge.

it takes all kinds. and it happens. granted, usually it's teenage girls who lie about things like having cancer, but kids make up personas all the time to seem cooler than they actually are.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Like the kid who lied to my little sister about being Joel from Good Charlotte and then almost having him meet her? It was a kid, I went insted of her. It ended up being some kid from her school.

xsecx
03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Like the kid who lied to my little sister about being Joel from Good Charlotte and then almost having him meet her? It was a kid, I went insted of her.

see, this is the kind of story that usually ends up with dead kids.

EMO_kid
03-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Tell me about it. Sometimes kids should be cut off from some kinds of communication.

straightXed
03-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by xsecx
it takes all kinds. and it happens. granted, usually it's teenage girls who lie about things like having cancer, but kids make up personas all the time to seem cooler than they actually are. doesn't this bring us too http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1004

straightXed
03-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by linsee
thats because most of them probably only know what straight edge is through the internet. its more than that. its somethin you are a part of. its supporting straight edge bands, its being a part of something.

its more than an internet message board.

yea i know, the funny thing about the thread over there is itsgot all these iconsistant views, like that one about people living straightedge before guitars were invented? I mean the reason it got named by hardcore kids is because it wasn't something old it was something that was born in hardcore and hardcore carried that message. Sure people before hardcore were drug free, and people to day with no concept of hardcore are drug free but what confuses me is why they want to associate themselves with a movement within hardcore and then say it has nothing to do with hardcore. Straightedge isn't a catch all word, if a monk abstains from drugs and alcohol etc. he is not straightedge, it doesn't work like that, just like i am not a monk for my abstinance.

the other funny thing is they locked the thread, how are people meant to express their opinions and back them up and figure out what actually makes the most sense if the moderators lock the forum before opinions have even blossomed, so it remains a stagnant thread and peoples opinions won't change because they coerced into not posting about it. Thats real communication for you, still at least they have comic value.

xsecx
03-22-2004, 07:41 AM
doesn't this bring us too http://sxe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1004

yes yes it does.

xsecx
03-22-2004, 07:41 AM
yea i know, the funny thing about the thread over there is itsgot all these iconsistant views, like that one about people living straightedge before guitars were invented? I mean the reason it got named by hardcore kids is because it wasn't something old it was something that was born in hardcore and hardcore carried that message. Sure people before hardcore were drug free, and people to day with no concept of hardcore are drug free but what confuses me is why they want to associate themselves with a movement within hardcore and then say it has nothing to do with hardcore. Straightedge isn't a catch all word, if a monk abstains from drugs and alcohol etc. he is not straightedge, it doesn't work like that, just like i am not a monk for my abstinance.

the other funny thing is they locked the thread, how are people meant to express their opinions and back them up and figure out what actually makes the most sense if the moderators lock the forum before opinions have even blossomed, so it remains a stagnant thread and peoples opinions won't change because they coerced into not posting about it. Thats real communication for you, still at least they have comic value.

and what's even funnier is that they have now deleted that thread.

EMO_kid
03-22-2004, 12:08 PM
They said it was causing arguements.

straightXed
03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
They said it was causing arguements.

And? thats a talking point is it not, peoples opinions differ so you talk about it, you use facts to back up and rationalise what is being said, does that board not like people discussing things, it seems very mollycoddling to me. I'd understand if people were making wild statements constantly and not backing them up at all but the arguments had barely begun.

Yokosack
03-23-2004, 02:23 AM
I say yes and no, cuz sXe has spread out so widly and is more mainstream then it used to be and alot of ppl consider themselves edge without knowing where it comes from. For example there is a wrestler named CM Punk that has many fans many who concider themselves edge but arn't aware that sXe is based on the hardcore scene.

xsecx
03-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Yokosack
I say yes and no, cuz sXe has spread out so widly and is more mainstream then it used to be and alot of ppl consider themselves edge without knowing where it comes from. For example there is a wrestler named CM Punk that has many fans many who concider themselves edge but arn't aware that sXe is based on the hardcore scene.

that doesn't mean things have spread out, it just means a lot of people are uninformed and wrong.

and seriously, the whole straight edge as a wrestling gimmick is a really really bad idea.

Yokosack
03-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Why is it a bad gimmick? He is really over and was sXe before he was a wrestler. He has "Straight Edge" tattooed over his stomach, it's more then just a gimkick.

Cmpunk.cjb.net if ur curious.

xsecx
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Yokosack
Why is it a bad gimmick? He is really over and was sXe before he was a wrestler. He has "Straight Edge" tattooed over his stomach, it's more then just a gimkick.

Cmpunk.cjb.net if ur curious.

because it's not something that should exist in the same realm as people who pretend to be dead or pretend to be anything. it's a caricature and a mockery, even if it isn't intentional. If he and the other dude that uses it as a gimmick actually cared they'd keep the worlds seperate.

Yokosack
03-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Alright I can see your point there. I don't really think of him or any of the others that use it or have used it as their gimmick to be mocking though. I can only think of Punk and Josh Prohibition who use it as their gimmicks but anyways I'd like to hear why Punk chose that as his gimmick, if I talk to him sometime soon and I remember I'll ask about it.

Straightedgecat
04-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Well your saying is it breaking edge.. Breaking edge refers more to if you do somthing like consume alcohol or what not.. but if you are straight edge then in my mind yes you have to listen to hardcore but "can you listen to other bands?" yes of corse but in order to be edge in my mind you have to listen to hardcore..

x208x
04-29-2004, 06:55 PM
im only 14 and i have been sXe for two years and i am very much a hardliner, i have expirence alll the things xXx is and im not pround of it at alll but i dont think you have to listin to a certan kind of music you listen to

straightXed
04-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by x208x
im only 14 and i have been sXe for two years and i am very much a hardliner, i have expirence alll the things xXx is and im not pround of it at alll but i dont think you have to listin to a certan kind of music you listen to

you are not a hardliner are you. What aren't you proud of and what are all these xxx things you have experienced?

Straightedgecat
04-30-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by x208x
yea your not making alot of sence there... and by the way im 14 too but that dosnt make a diference and im proud of everything that i am Straight Edge.. why not be proud

XrandomideazX
05-30-2004, 12:54 AM
isnt hardline somthing off the sort of edge?im confused

xscottx
06-06-2004, 03:00 AM
I listen to alot of Hardcore US And UK stuff. But i also listen to emo /scremo /hardcore emo and metalcore music. and Hardcore is slighty fading from me and im becoming a more of a emo kid , yes i know its strange to like Emo and hardcore at the same time, where one music is upseting girly type music and the other is completly aggressive. Does it mean if i completly fade away from HC and turn very emo type will i still be edge or will i still remain edge and being a emo kid make no diffrence?

Safe X

xvunderx
06-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by xscottx
I listen to alot of Hardcore US And UK stuff. But i also listen to emo /scremo /hardcore emo and metalcore music. and Hardcore is slighty fading from me and im becoming a more of a emo kid , yes i know its strange to like Emo and hardcore at the same time, where one music is upseting girly type music and the other is completly aggressive. Does it mean if i completly fade away from HC and turn very emo type will i still be edge or will i still remain edge and being a emo kid make no diffrence?

Safe X

I guess if your all about emo, that would make you an emo kid.

It's not odd to like both, I like some emo, and I like Belle and Sebastian and they are like the least HC band on the planet!

xsecx
06-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by XrandomideazX
isnt hardline somthing off the sort of edge?im confused

hardline is a whole bunch of other stuff along with not doing drugs. it's not the same as saying you're militant straight edge. hardline has a bunch of other beliefs added to it that have nothing to do with straight edge.

xscottx
06-06-2004, 10:15 AM
It's not odd to like both, I like some emo, and I like Belle and Sebastian and they are like the least HC band on the planet!

Ah cool i just wanted to know. thanks for your words.