PDA

View Full Version : sxe and bartending

unspoken
02-22-2004, 09:43 PM
what do you guys think about sxe people becoming bartenders?

xsecx
02-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by unspoken

inconsistant.

Sean The Red
02-22-2004, 09:49 PM

I dont see how the two are relevant. one involves you, the other involves others.

unspoken
02-22-2004, 09:50 PM
feeding someone elses addiction i think is relevent to sxe

xsecx
02-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Sean The Red
I dont see how the two are relevant. one involves you, the other involves others.

so your beliefs never extend beyond yourself?

unspoken
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
that sounds exactly like the kid im talking to about this, he says he has no problem makeing money off someone elses addiction because its survival of the fittest

Sean The Red
02-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
so your beliefs never extend beyond yourself?

I didnt say that at all. I dont like the idea, of anyone engaging in it, however being straight edge is something we do for ourselves, it extends only to the limits of our bodies, and we do not have the right to infringe upon others. further, its about what we put in ourselves, not what we put in others. I really dont see how you can take something that is about you, and make it about someone else.

straightXed
02-23-2004, 01:13 AM
I didnt say that at all. I dont like the idea, of anyone engaging in it, however being straight edge is something we do for ourselves, it extends only to the limits of our bodies, and we do not have the right to infringe upon others. further, its about what we put in ourselves, not what we put in others. I really dont see how you can take something that is about you, and make it about someone else.

Its cool for a vegan to work at mcdonalds then?

If you don't like the idea of anyone engaging in it why would you get a job helping them by serving them alcohol? How is following your beliefs of not wanting to be a part of alcohol infringing upon others? Its not like you are forcing them not to drink you just aren't spoon feeding it to them.

Sean The Red
02-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
Its cool for a vegan to work at mcdonalds then?

If you don't like the idea of anyone engaging in it why would you get a job helping them by serving them alcohol? How is following your beliefs of not wanting to be a part of alcohol infringing upon others? Its not like you are forcing them not to drink you just aren't spoon feeding it to them.

Well I dont think that is a valid comparison, vegan lifestyle doesnt involve animal products at any level, straight edge in this respect, is about not polluting yourself.

I am fine with other people drinking, it annoys me, but it might not annoy others. I choose not to, but that doesnt mean I am going to stop friends who choose to, from doing so. aside from that, I am confused what exactly you are getting at.

xsecx
02-23-2004, 08:22 AM
that sounds exactly like the kid im talking to about this, he says he has no problem makeing money off someone elses addiction because its survival of the fittest

then he should stop being a half ass and start selling rocks.

xvunderx
02-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Well I dont think that is a valid comparison, vegan lifestyle doesnt involve animal products at any level, straight edge in this respect, is about not polluting yourself.

I am fine with other people drinking, it annoys me, but it might not annoy others. I choose not to, but that doesnt mean I am going to stop friends who choose to, from doing so. aside from that, I am confused what exactly you are getting at.

Well at least for me I'm edge yes as a personaly choice, but because I am against, and stand against these drugs. not just because I don't want to pollute myself, infact to me it's never been a case of pollution or purety. It's been about think formyself, and facing up to life, and dealing with realities not and escaping through an easy way out. It's been about not accepting drugs and alcohol like some new patch of pubic hair, and acctualy thinking about something socitey just convinces us is just a natural progression into adulthood, and into pacive recreation.

It's just like being vegan, one stands against all animal products, one against drug. I made it a personal choice to be sxe, just like a vegan made a personal choice to be vegan. But both are to me about taking a stand against something, and not supporting or partaking in something that they belive to be wrong.

straightXed
02-23-2004, 11:18 AM

Well its pretty simple really, you said "I dont like the idea, of anyone engaging in it" so why would you be a bar tender. i'm not saying you should stop your friends from drinking but why would you aid them in that. Their choice is to drink and yours is to not drink, now why did you choose not to drink, do you see a problem with alcohol?

I too am confused, i am confused as to why you are fine with something that annoys you yet kids posting about politics and people posting one after there post annoyed you yet you spoke out on that, why would you not speak out on drinking if it bothers you?

unspoken
02-23-2004, 11:21 AM
i made the personal choice not to drink, and its other personal choices if they are going to drink, but that doesnt mean im going to support their addictions.

that seems to be how it goes with the vegan thing, i used hte same comparison as ed, only it was a vegan working in a butcher shop, not mcdonalds. its the vegans personal choice not to eat meat, but they arent going to go support other people consuming it

xsecx
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
Well its pretty simple really, you said "I dont like the idea, of anyone engaging in it" so why would you be a bar tender. i'm not saying you should stop your friends from drinking but why would you aid them in that. Their choice is to drink and yours is to not drink, now why did you choose not to drink, do you see a problem with alcohol?

I too am confused, i am confused as to why you are fine with something that annoys you yet kids posting about politics and people posting one after there post annoyed you yet you spoke out on that, why would you not speak out on drinking if it bothers you?

the more pointed question is how you say you're fine with something and then immediately follow it with how it annoys you. if it annoys you, you're not fine with it.

straightXed
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
the more pointed question is how you say you're fine with something and then immediately follow it with how it annoys you. if it annoys you, you're not fine with it.

Yeah thats the bit i'm confused about.

Sean The Red
02-23-2004, 07:26 PM
apparently I hit a button.

let me be perfectly clear about this:
I would not be a bartender to save my life, nor would I engage in the distribution of any substance which I would not put in myself, meat, alcolhol, etc.

however, if someone considers themself straight edge, and wants to engage in the distribution, I do not believe those two actions to contradict each other. Straight Edge is about yourself, distribution is abuot others.

Sean The Red
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM

that is a total stretch, people driving with the bass on their stereo up way too high annoys me, but I still respect the fact that they want to, and that they can. People cutting people off in traffic to get three car lengths ahead over a ten mile period annoys me, but if they dont cause an accident, I'm not going to call the cops.. understand my point?

straightXed
02-24-2004, 12:56 AM
apparently I hit a button.

let me be perfectly clear about this:
I would not be a bartender to save my life, nor would I engage in the distribution of any substance which I would not put in myself, meat, alcolhol, etc.

however, if someone considers themself straight edge, and wants to engage in the distribution, I do not believe those two actions to contradict each other. Straight Edge is about yourself, distribution is abuot others.

You didn't hit a button it just what your saying sounds stupid, Like a straightedge crack dealer.