PDA

View Full Version : Election aftermath

CarlaRant
11-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Ugh - I'm not sure if any of you other Americans are tired of hearing about the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington, but I sure am!

I've heard approximately 10 people last night say that they're going to move to these states. My initial reaction is a cross between the desire to punch them in the face and screaming "good riddance!"

On another note - one my students made a connection that the Lotus fruit that Odysseus and his men were tempted to eat in "The Odyssey" is similar to pot because it "makes you forget your motivation in life." When his classmate made a joke about how he likes to "forget" sometimes, the first student reacted by saying, "Then move to Colorado with the other losers." Ha-ha Out of the mouths of babes!

Yes, I know that the legalization of marijuana could bring a good boost to their economy, but at what cost to its people? And really, if these states citizens are already illegally smoking weed, what makes the government think that they're going to buy it from the proper vendors, thus defeating the states' original purpose?

xsecx
11-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm of 2 minds about this. On the one hand, it'd be nice to not have prisons filled with people possessing small amounts of pot. On the other, I completely and totally hate stoners. I hate the culture that surrounds it. I have the all encompassing obsession with a single plant. I'm curious to see what the federal government is going to do about this. The states can legalize anything they want but it's irrelevant when it's still a federal crime. I'm also pretty sure the only people at this point that will buy weed legally will be baby boomers who don't have a hook up.

CarlaRant
11-11-2012, 03:00 PM
"I'm also pretty sure the only people at this point that will buy weed legally will be baby boomers who don't have a hook up."

HAHAHA! So true.

Yes, the prison system has come up in debate as well. I agree with that point too.

Lifestyle_X
11-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Makes me think of these two American teenagers I met in Barcelona. They did a Eurotrip in celebration of graduating high school. They said they would stay in every city for 3 or 4 days, except Amsterdam... 2 weeks. I guess Colorado is closer to Ohio than Amsterdam?

xsecx
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I found the news coverage yesterday annoying. So it's legal to have it, but it's illegal to smoke it outside. So what does the press show? A bunch of people outside smoking, and the Seattle PD given orders to just give verbal warnings. If that's the case, then why make it illegal to smoke in public?

Lifestyle_X
02-09-2013, 04:20 PM
What's up with Obama and his drones? And that secret agent living in his basement?

xsecx
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
What's up with Obama and his drones? And that secret agent living in his basement?
what about them?

mouseman004
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM

There has been a pretty serious drone war going on in Pakistan over the past couple of years. The US is using Drones to attack Taliban targets, but there is a lot of backlash over the fact that apparently there are massive civilian casualities. That is about as much detail as I have on the situation.

Lifestyle_X
02-10-2013, 04:09 AM
I heard it was not legal by international law or something. Also, the dude in the basement sets up the kill list.

xsecx
02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I heard it was not legal by international law or something. Also, the dude in the basement sets up the kill list. don't know about international law but the republicans are trying to say what he's doing is illegal, but of course they had no problem when bush was doing it.