PDA

View Full Version : Potato Chowder

CarlaRant
10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
When the weather starts to cool down (in AZ that means in the 90s!!!), I like to start making soups, stews, and chowders. Today I'm going to attempt to make a veganized version of Southwestern Potato Chowder with the fresh, local chiles, potatoes, and corn that Hubby picked up at the farmer's market yesterday. Pics, recipe, and review to come!

easy
10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
waiting intently!

CarlaRant
10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac269/CarlaDBrown/potato.jpg
Recipe
4 potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
1 ear of corn, shucked
3 roasted chiles, diced
3 cups water
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
dash of paprika

Boil the potatoes, when they're tender, blend half and return to the pot
Throw the rest of the ingredients in the pot and simmer for 10 minutes
Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!

Review
Although the fresh, in-season chiles were supposed to make this concoction extra spicy, the chowder needed a little more kick. I added a dash of cayenne pepper to satisfy my need for heat. Surprisingly, the potatoes didn't need to be blended with milk to make it creamy, the starch did it all on its own. This was a very filling simple dish that is perfect for the upcoming cool evenings.

easy
10-05-2012, 08:10 PM
what kind peppers did you use? do you think it would be better with hotter peppers?

CarlaRant
10-06-2012, 07:37 PM
roasted hatch chiles

CarlaRant
10-14-2012, 09:03 AM
I pulled out the frozen batch of this and added pureed white beans to thicken this chowder. BONUS! It added 14g of protein, making it even more filling.

easy
10-15-2012, 11:34 AM
thats a great idea for any soup/chowder! pureed beans as a thickener! i need to do this