PDA

View Full Version : Caffine...giving it up is hard!

ska_is_alive
01-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Okay, we all know that caffine is bad for you and how it's a drug and all that good stuff. Well, I've been trying to give it up for the past month with no such luck. I hate to say it, but I'm addicted to caffine aka pop. I keep saying how I'll give up pop for a whole week but then I'll always find an excuse to have it. This is something really hard to do. But I'm determined to give it up at some point!! So starting Monday, I'm going to see if I can go a whole week without pop, none at all. Not even pop without caffine. I've tried doing it a while ago but I only lasted two days, just goes to show how weak I am. So any thoughts on how to get it out of the system for good?

xvunderx
01-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ska_is_alive
Okay, we all know that caffine is bad for you and how it's a drug and all that good stuff. Well, I've been trying to give it up for the past month with no such luck. I hate to say it, but I'm addicted to caffine aka pop. I keep saying how I'll give up pop for a whole week but then I'll always find an excuse to have it. This is something really hard to do. But I'm determined to give it up at some point!! So starting Monday, I'm going to see if I can go a whole week without pop, none at all. Not even pop without caffine. I've tried doing it a while ago but I only lasted two days, just goes to show how weak I am. So any thoughts on how to get it out of the system for good?

You could try cutting down gradualy? I know alot of people have a hard time coming off caffiene, head aches, all sorts. But stick with it, and you'll be fine.

I used to drink alot of soda, not now so much. You could try substituting it with fruit juices, or smooties or something like that maybe?

ska_is_alive
01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm one of those people who is strongly addicted to it. I sound pathetic right? But I'm desperately trying to be fully straight edge one step at a time.

xsecx
01-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm one of those people who is strongly addicted to it. I sound pathetic right? But I'm desperately trying to be fully straight edge one step at a time.

your best bet is to think about in terms of health and not straight edge. I also used to drink a ton of soda. eventually I just started drinking more and more water. part of it was economic part of it was health. it gets kind of insane when you go out to dinner or lunch and end up adding a couple of dollars just for a drink. Now I only get a sprite maybe once a month if even that. With the caffiene side of it, if you're addicted, you're going to be having a rough time. Especially since you're in school right now, I'd probably wait and start when you have a break. because you will hve headaches. you will get grouchy and you will have issues with sleep.

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
01-23-2004, 03:24 PM
i still find it hard, and i gave it up months ago, just gettin tired in the mornings you need that artificial boost

but you find better things

sabresnmets
01-25-2004, 12:51 PM
i switched to snapple iced tea. i know that it has caffiene in it naturally but it has to be less than in soda. right?

xsecx
01-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by sabresnmets
i switched to snapple iced tea. i know that it has caffiene in it naturally but it has to be less than in soda. right?

depends. some ice tea has less some has more. it depends on how it's brewed.

linsee
01-25-2004, 09:37 PM
i still consume caffeine, and when i tried to stop cold turkey it gave me awful headaches. i have brought my intake down quite a bit, so hopefully i'll be able to totally stop soon.

sabresnmets
01-25-2004, 09:38 PM
well whatever im proud of myself for not drinking soda.

sabresnmets
01-25-2004, 09:46 PM
word!!! we should all try to stop together.

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I was forced into stoping drinking soda about a year or so ago...... and i was drinking a lot at the time.... but when i did stop i never got headaches or anger or anything...... caffeine never really had an effect on me when i was drinking it....... but i am so happy now.... i am so addicted tro Chai Tea.... but i always get the decaf at like a coffee house and it costs like 4 buckas for a medium...so now i found a store that sels it in the cartons for like 2 bucks.....im way happy.....

MrWizzle
02-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I find that frightening... I mean, we all start consuming caffeine when we're so young, what with most fizzy drinks containing it, coffee/tea, and it's natural occurance in chocolate (albeit, a very small amount - dark chocolate the most, then milk; none in white), and without realising, we're addicts. If you drink, you consciously choose to drink and become addicted to alcohol's effects, if you smoke, you consciously choose to smoke. These things are both recognised drugs, but very, very few people consider caffeine as a drug of any note at all. Now, when edgers like you or I choose to give it up, we suffer. I know, I know, we're all able to choose not to consume caffeine in the first place, but I very much doubt that there's anyone on the planet who realises as an eight year old that the cola they're drinking contains a drug that will one day cause them problems giving it up. Oh well. I'm getting there - dropped the coke and the tea (mmm... decaf - all the flavour, none of the shite) and I'm reducing the chocolate, but hey, one step at a time, eh? I gotta start eating more properly anyway :)

xsecx
02-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by MrWizzle
I find that frightening... I mean, we all start consuming caffeine when we're so young, what with most fizzy drinks containing it, coffee/tea, and it's natural occurance in chocolate (albeit, a very small amount - dark chocolate the most, then milk; none in white), and without realising, we're addicts. If you drink, you consciously choose to drink and become addicted to alcohol's effects, if you smoke, you consciously choose to smoke. These things are both recognised drugs, but very, very few people consider caffeine as a drug of any note at all. Now, when edgers like you or I choose to give it up, we suffer. I know, I know, we're all able to choose not to consume caffeine in the first place, but I very much doubt that there's anyone on the planet who realises as an eight year old that the cola they're drinking contains a drug that will one day cause them problems giving it up. Oh well. I'm getting there - dropped the coke and the tea (mmm... decaf - all the flavour, none of the shite) and I'm reducing the chocolate, but hey, one step at a time, eh? I gotta start eating more properly anyway :)

if you drink decaf tea why are you reducing the amount of chocolate you eat?

MrWizzle
02-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Err... I just have to start eating properly, that's all. Chocolate make me fat. A little off-topic, I guess.

xsecx
02-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by MrWizzle
Err... I just have to start eating properly, that's all. Chocolate make me fat. A little off-topic, I guess.

word. that makes sense.

xJebusx
02-19-2004, 08:28 AM
I am fourtunate I guess...My friend drank so much caffine that he got really hardcore kidney stones. That pretty much got me to stay away from soda period.

xsecx
02-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by xJebusx
I am fourtunate I guess...My friend drank so much caffine that he got really hardcore kidney stones. That pretty much got me to stay away from soda period.

one of the worst pains I have ever felt was the first and only time I passed a stone. I also didn't know I had it or what it was until after it came out.

straightXed
02-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by xsecx
one of the worst pains I have ever felt was the first and only time I passed a stone. I also didn't know I had it or what it was until after it came out.

i never want that to happen, i've heard enough horror stories.

ska_is_alive
03-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Okay, my mom got two 2 liters of cherry pepsi and they had to last for two weeks. Well I drank the one in a week and the second in less than a weekend. So now with only 1/3 left of the second bottle, she tells me that there's no pop left that's not diet. This just plain out sucks ass!

xsecx
03-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Okay, my mom got two 2 liters of cherry pepsi and they had to last for two weeks. Well I drank the one in a week and the second in less than a weekend. So now with only 1/3 left of the second bottle, she tells me that there's no pop left that's not diet. This just plain out sucks ass!

how many cavities do you have?

GIZMO
03-16-2004, 09:00 AM

PUSSY!!

Straightedgecat
04-13-2004, 01:37 PM
if you are conserned about not being able to drink your favorite beverage because it is caffinated.. then just get Caffiene Free pepsi it tastes the same and if you stilll want soda also just drink sprite.. i drink sprite and ginger ale. which are two non caffinated beverages... i dont know if they make caffiene free coke. so if you love coke then i guess you might be out of luck.. and if you need that boost in the morning just eat a bigger breakfast because that will give you a bigger boost in the morning without the downfall that you would get in the mid afternoon from caffiene.. i hope my advice helps..

xsecx
04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Straightedgecat
if you are conserned about not being able to drink your favorite beverage because it is caffinated.. then just get Caffiene Free pepsi it tastes the same and if you stilll want soda also just drink sprite.. i drink sprite and ginger ale. which are two non caffinated beverages... i dont know if they make caffiene free coke. so if you love coke then i guess you might be out of luck.. and if you need that boost in the morning just eat a bigger breakfast because that will give you a bigger boost in the morning without the downfall that you would get in the mid afternoon from caffiene.. i hope my advice helps..

just about every soda made caffienated (cola, mt dew, dr pepper) is also made caffiene free. the trick is however that they aren't available everywhere.

Straightedgecat
04-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
just about every soda made caffienated (cola, mt dew, dr pepper) is also made caffiene free. the trick is however that they aren't available everywhere.

yea iv never seen caffine free mountain dew but im sure that they sell it.. but i see caffiene free pepsi all of the time out here in New Jersey.. at the shop rite..

xgregx
04-13-2004, 04:27 PM
I haven't had any caffine in about 2 years. I just started drinking Sprite and other caffine free soda. But like Dusty said, over time, I just started drinking more and more water. I hardly ever have a Sprite or anything.

sabresnmets
04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
water sucks

straightXed
04-13-2004, 06:27 PM
water sucks

aww man, water is the best drink around.

Straightedgecat
04-13-2004, 06:51 PM
peach flavored water is the shit.. so is just plain water

xgregx
04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
peach flavored water is the shit.. so is just plain water

thats fucking gross

sabresnmets
04-13-2004, 11:00 PM
i hate water, its so plain

straightXed
04-14-2004, 05:05 AM
i hate water, its so plain

thats a good thing really, because most other drinks are full of crap. All those weird man made sugars and shit, plus when you are really thirsty water does the job properly.

Straightedgecat
04-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by xshadowsfallx
thats fucking gross

no respect for the peach flavored water.?!? try it before you criticise it.. its good stuff..

xgregx
04-14-2004, 04:17 PM
no respect for the peach flavored water.?!? try it before you criticise it.. its good stuff..

oh trust me I have...my hockey team was in canada once, and they gave those to us...I wasn't too fond of it...

sabresnmets
04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
i still hate water, unless i am sick, or its summer and im really hot.

straightXed
04-14-2004, 05:55 PM

weirdo

Straightedgecat
04-14-2004, 07:24 PM

why are you so anti water.. it happens to be the most pure best drink for you..

Straightedgecat
04-14-2004, 07:25 PM
oh trust me I have...my hockey team was in canada once, and they gave those to us...I wasn't too fond of it...

well at least you tried it.. i thought you were just trashin it, because i admit the name dosnt sound to tasty..

xgregx
04-14-2004, 09:44 PM
well at least you tried it.. i thought you were just trashin it, because i admit the name dosnt sound to tasty..

I thought it had an extremely nasty after flavor.

Straightedgecat
04-15-2004, 07:01 AM
I thought it had an extremely nasty after flavor.

i agree it does have a nasty after taste.. but it tastes like peaches and peaches are good..

ArmyPunkDylan
04-17-2004, 10:54 PM
I know its hard giving up caffine, even im trying to do it.

Not only is it generally bad for you, but it also dehydrates you.

NO in my line of work, i am told to consume large ammounts of water, for good reason. If im not doing PT (Physical training), which involves 2-3 mile runs every monday, wednesday, and thursday, im working out in the sun, doing random details. But still, waking up at 5 am every weekday morning is hard, and classes are hard as well, especially to stay awake ( I am a sat-com tech, so the classes are long and boring) every once in a while i slip back and have a cup or two of java in the morning, but at school, its really hard, and i usually drink a few cups.

Coffee is a hard thing....

Straightedgecat
04-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by ArmyPunkDylan
I know its hard giving up caffine, even im trying to do it.

Not only is it generally bad for you, but it also dehydrates you.

NO in my line of work, i am told to consume large ammounts of water, for good reason. If im not doing PT (Physical training), which involves 2-3 mile runs every monday, wednesday, and thursday, im working out in the sun, doing random details. But still, waking up at 5 am every weekday morning is hard, and classes are hard as well, especially to stay awake ( I am a sat-com tech, so the classes are long and boring) every once in a while i slip back and have a cup or two of java in the morning, but at school, its really hard, and i usually drink a few cups.

Coffee is a hard thing....

I see caffiene as not even an option for me.. because it is a drug..

xgregx
04-18-2004, 07:10 PM
I see caffiene as not even an option for me.. because it is a drug..

thats what I feel like.

Straightedgecat
04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
thats what I feel like.

WORD.. its just as much of a drug as anything else, the effects are jsut not as extreme.. but a drugs a drug

DcDuckee
04-27-2004, 09:38 PM

those things kick. i love peach flavored everything. mmm propel

i <3 peach flavored propel

-danielle

Straightedgecat
04-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DcDuckee
those things kick. i love peach flavored everything. mmm propel

i <3 peach flavored propel

-danielle
You Know where its at!! finnally somone who has respect for the peach flavored water

sabresnmets
05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
i think they all suck

Straightedgecat
05-02-2004, 12:22 PM
i think they all suck
you think all what sucks? when you dont quote its hard to know what your talking about..

PeroxideQueen
05-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I didnt know u couldnt drink things without caffine! surely a morning cup of coffee is ok? and surely a its better to have a glass of coke in a club than a rum and coke?

straightXed
05-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by PeroxideQueen
I didnt know u couldnt drink things without caffine! surely a morning cup of coffee is ok? and surely a its better to have a glass of coke in a club than a rum and coke?

and surely its better to have a caffiene free coke as opposed to a regular coke, or perhaps a water.

PeroxideQueen
05-22-2004, 02:42 PM
But its impossible to get caffene free coke in clubs gigs and bars and it does help keep you awake throughout the night to an extent. What harm does it cause? It doesnt make a person behave in a different way or do major damage to the body(in moderation that is)

straightXed
05-22-2004, 03:28 PM
But its impossible to get caffene free coke in clubs gigs and bars and it does help keep you awake throughout the night to an extent. What harm does it cause? It doesnt make a person behave in a different way or do major damage to the body(in moderation that is)

you just mentioned the behavioural effects of the stimulant caffiene, it keeps you awake, there are plenty of other things it does to your body also. Is it okay to take a little speed in order to stay awake? So long as its in moderation?

If it's immpossible then you get something else like water or lemonade but that won't keep you up so it turns out you are drinking coke for its caffiene value. I manage fine keeping awake without caffiene and i feel a lot better for not drinking it.

sabresnmets
05-22-2004, 04:15 PM
you think all what sucks? when you dont quote its hard to know what your talking about..

sorry i meant the flavored waters.

straightXed
05-22-2004, 04:42 PM
sorry i meant the flavored waters.

they rule

sabresnmets
05-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by straightXed
they rule

i gotta say...no they dont.

xgregx
05-23-2004, 07:58 PM
i gotta say...no they dont.

want to throwdown essay?!(female latino voice just to continue stereotypes)

xsecx
05-23-2004, 09:02 PM

ese

Armypunk
05-24-2004, 11:54 AM
I'M JUST RECENTLY WEN'T BACK TO BEING STRAIGHT EDGE I FELL AWAY FOR A WHILE DUMBASS ME. BUT NOW IM BACK BUT I HAVE THE HARDEST TIME OF ALL NOW QUITTING I GAVE UP PO AND ALCOHOL EASILY. BUT MY DEPENDENCE ON TOBACCO IS WHAT IS KILLING ME. IN MY FIELD OF WORK SMOKING IS THE WAY TO REMOVE STRESS THAT BUILDS UP AFTER THE DAY DEALING WITH STUPID PEOPLE AND THEIR PROBLEMS. I JUST WANTED TO GET IT BACK OUT THERE THAT I AM BACK

Straightedgecat
05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Armypunk
I'M JUST RECENTLY WEN'T BACK TO BEING STRAIGHT EDGE I FELL AWAY FOR A WHILE DUMBASS ME. BUT NOW IM BACK BUT I HAVE THE HARDEST TIME OF ALL NOW QUITTING I GAVE UP PO AND ALCOHOL EASILY. BUT MY DEPENDENCE ON TOBACCO IS WHAT IS KILLING ME. IN MY FIELD OF WORK SMOKING IS THE WAY TO REMOVE STRESS THAT BUILDS UP AFTER THE DAY DEALING WITH STUPID PEOPLE AND THEIR PROBLEMS. I JUST WANTED TO GET IT BACK OUT THERE THAT I AM BACK
straight edge isnt somthing that you can just go away from and come back to , its not like that.. its supposed to be a dedication, not just somthing that you can leave and comback to.. but if you think now that you are more into it and back for life then i guess thats ok but i dont feel that is somthing that you can leave and come back to.. that shows immense lack of disaplin

Armypunk
05-24-2004, 12:35 PM
its hard in my line of work to go without tobacco. im in the army and it is hard to deal with the stress of stupid people

Armypunk
05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
I AM GOING TO KICK THE HABBIT IM GOING TO KICK IT NOW IM GOING TO GO SET MY PACK ON FIRE AND NOT INHALE THE SMOKE
THEN IM GOING TO GO GET MY TAT

xsecx
05-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Armypunk
its hard in my line of work to go without tobacco. im in the army and it is hard to deal with the stress of stupid people

stress isn't unique to the army. neither is dealing with stupid people. we all have stress but it all comes down to what you chose to do with that stress to deal with it.

Armypunk
05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
im choosing to deal with it naturally and the edge way

sabresnmets
05-24-2004, 11:19 PM

dude this is the second time ive been called out on this website in less than a week, i will kick your ass!!!!!

xvunderx
05-25-2004, 07:38 AM

Caffine is adictive, and it is also a drug. If you need it to wake up in the morning, is that really any different than needing tobaco to relax?

In moderation alcohol doesn't do any harm, they even say a glass of red wine every once in a while is good for your heart.

If your edge because you are against drugs, caffeine is a drug.

I've been edge for a good few years now. I used to work in a club, and go out to pubs and clubs an average of 2 a week, often more. I never had any problem finding stuff to drink, there are fruit juices, lemonade and sometimes other sodas, there wierd drinks you mix up out of juices and mixes at the bar, there is a tone of stuff other than coke.

xgregx
05-25-2004, 05:30 PM
dude this is the second time ive been called out on this website in less than a week, i will kick your ass!!!!!

hahahaha BRING IT!

sabresnmets
05-29-2004, 11:00 PM
hahahaha BRING IT!

dude you dont want none of this, think it over!!!!

DoglikeSpleen
06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by xvunderx
You could try cutting down gradualy? I know alot of people have a hard time coming off caffiene, head aches, all sorts. But stick with it, and you'll be fine.

I used to drink alot of soda, not now so much. You could try substituting it with fruit juices, or smooties or something like that maybe?

Yeah i quit caffeine cold turkey, and i was a usual drinker, I drank soda (dew) at least 2-3 cans a DAY.. so now i am SO SO tired because my body is trying to get used to not having caffeine to stay awake on. I have MASSIVE headaches that dont stop, but i cant take excederine.. it has caffeine.. i should have weened myself off of it, but im a moron, and just wanted to get it done..

mmmm pizza...

iXhateXHXC
06-29-2004, 11:45 AM
You're all retarded. Caffeine won't kill you, cutting your wrists will. Give up the whole sXe thing, not caffeine.

xsecx
06-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by iXhateXHXC
You're all retarded. Caffeine won't kill you, cutting your wrists will. Give up the whole sXe thing, not caffeine.

well since you put it that way...

iXhateXHXC
06-29-2004, 11:57 AM
now hopfully all you RETARDS will get drunk off your own semen, and stop cutting your wrists.

DoglikeSpleen
06-29-2004, 12:18 PM
yeah but caffeine isnt what causes people to cut their wrists, its a mental thing.. not a drink.. keep that in mind.

iXhateXHXC
06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
11010001 01011101 01010101 01110100 01001010 11010100 11001010 10110100 10001010 00010100 01000100 01101001 01010010 10100010 10101010 01010101 01010010 10101010 10100101 01001010 00100101 00101001 00110101 11010111 10100001 01011101 01100110 01110010 01110110 11010010

which means I'm a spoiled brat and mom and daddy left me alone. why don't they love me?

DoglikeSpleen
06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Ñ]UtJÔÊ´ŠDiR¢ªURª¥J%)5ס]frvÒ ??

sabresnmets
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
dude stop saying retards or im gonna let linsee out and you dont want that.

XrandomideazX
07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
word.Fuck that dude!