PDA

View Full Version : montreal

xsecx
07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
anyone been? anything worth checking out?

mouseman004
07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
anyone been? anything worth checking out?

I was there once a few years ago, I love the city (although driving in it is a pain in the ass. Quebecers are crazy drivers). The biggest suggestion I could make is to do dinner somewhere in old montreal. I can't for the life of me remember the restaurant I ate at, but it was amazing, and from what I have heard from a friend of mine who is a chef, old montreal is just full of great restaurants.

xsecx
07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I was there once a few years ago, I love the city (although driving in it is a pain in the ass. Quebecers are crazy drivers). The biggest suggestion I could make is to do dinner somewhere in old montreal. I can't for the life of me remember the restaurant I ate at, but it was amazing, and from what I have heard from a friend of mine who is a chef, old montreal is just full of great restaurants.

luckily not driving, and staying near old montreal so it should be good times. I'm looking forward to trying poutine.

mouseman004
07-13-2011, 02:24 PM
luckily not driving, and staying near old montreal so it should be good times. I'm looking forward to trying poutine.

You have never tried poutine before?? Is it strictly a Canadian thing? Because to me the thought of somebody having never tried it seems weird. Maybe it is just becuase it is everywhere here. It's delicious!

xsecx
07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
You have never tried poutine before?? Is it strictly a Canadian thing? Because to me the thought of somebody having never tried it seems weird. Maybe it is just becuase it is everywhere here. It's delicious!

yeah, it doesn't exist here at all.

mouseman004
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
yeah, it doesn't exist here at all.

Wow, pretty much every fast food burger place (except McDonald's) sells poutine up here. I guess I never really thought about that being specific to Canadian locations. Nevertheless, poutine is awesome, and actual Quebec poutine is even more awesome.

xsecx
07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, pretty much every fast food burger place (except McDonald's) sells poutine up here. I guess I never really thought about that being specific to Canadian locations. Nevertheless, poutine is awesome, and actual Quebec poutine is even more awesome.

yeah. I'm kinda scared of just how much food I'm probably going to eat. It's kind of scary how none of the places I've read about are anywhere near light or healthy.

mouseman004
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
yeah. I'm kinda scared of just how much food I'm probably going to eat. It's kind of scary how none of the places I've read about are anywhere near light or healthy.

That is definitely a legitimate fear. You are going to be in a province that thinks that french fries are an appropriate side for a steak. I remember ordering a steak expecting it to come with the vegetables that you usually see with a steak dinner and being very suprised when it came with fries with a side of mayo.

xsecx
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
That is definitely a legitimate fear. You are going to be in a province that thinks that french fries are an appropriate side for a steak. I remember ordering a steak expecting it to come with the vegetables that you usually see with a steak dinner and being very suprised when it came with fries with a side of mayo.

steak frites are good times. I'm also amazed at the amount of fois gras that appears to be everywhere.

mouseman004
07-14-2011, 07:00 AM
steak frites are good times. I'm also amazed at the amount of fois gras that appears to be everywhere.

Oh I enjoyed the fries that came with my steak, but it was the first time I had ever imagined the two things going together so it was surprising. Yeah the French love their fois gras. I never had the courage to give it a try when I was there though.

rodrigo
07-14-2011, 08:38 AM

that's like a traditional chilean dish, but you need to put a fried egg and some onions on it.

mouseman004
07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
that's like a traditional chilean dish, but you need to put a fried egg and some onions on it.

That sounds absolutely delicious!

xsecx
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Oh I enjoyed the fries that came with my steak, but it was the first time I had ever imagined the two things going together so it was surprising. Yeah the French love their fois gras. I never had the courage to give it a try when I was there though.
it's good. how it get to that point aside, it doesn't taste like liver at all and is just really tasty.

straightXed
07-14-2011, 05:48 PM

I thought steak with fries was pretty standard.

rodrigo
07-14-2011, 05:52 PM

they love it in argentina

mouseman004
07-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Maybe it is, I could be out of date with what is or what isn't considered standard cuisine. Montreal was just the first time I had ever seen the combination. The Mayo with the fries also seemed weird to me.

straightXed
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe it is, I could be out of date with what is or what isn't considered standard cuisine. Montreal was just the first time I had ever seen the combination. The Mayo with the fries also seemed weird to me.

I just know that here steak and chips (fries) go together like a burger in a bun!

rodrigo
07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I just know that here steak and chips (fries) go together like a burger in a bun!

or fries in a bun! ...apparently down here too.

straightXed
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
or fries in a bun! ...apparently down here too.

I dunno about that, we have chip butties but thats not as common as a burger in a bun

xsecx
07-14-2011, 08:07 PM

it is at french places, everywhere else, it's a baked potato in the US.

Lifestyle_X
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
There's an Olympic stadium there, maybe you can check that out.

mouseman004
07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
There's an Olympic stadium there, maybe you can check that out.

Yeah but I don't think anything really goes on there anymore. I think the last sports team to use it was the Montreal Expos before the team moved to Dusty's neck of the woods.

Lifestyle_X
07-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Oh, that's a bummer! But there's a tower there you can go into, you have a nice view up there. Again, I just heard..

linsee
07-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I just had to google poutine to see what it was, and now I want to eat it but it makes me think I'll probably have a heart attack from it.