PDA

View Full Version : ace of cakes

rodrigo
06-26-2011, 09:13 PM
i've been watching the show a lot recently, i used to not care that much about it but somehow it got me hooked now with massive craves of cake, but i noticed that sometimes they make em with polystyrene (the material, not the punk). is that a normal thing? it seems handy for when it's just for showing, but it also seems pretty fake to build a cake that's not an actual cake.

anyway, i like the show, it's funny.

straightXed
06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
i've been watching the show a lot recently, i used to not care that much about it but somehow it got me hooked now with massive craves of cake, but i noticed that sometimes they make em with polystyrene (the material, not the punk). is that a normal thing? it seems handy for when it's just for showing, but it also seems pretty fake to build a cake that's not an actual cake.

i liked that show too, they made some cool cakes.

xsecx
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

for the most part it's just a sculpture, so whether it's out of cake or something else I don't think it really matters that much.

rodrigo
06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
for the most part it's just a sculpture, so whether it's out of cake or something else I don't think it really matters that much.

well i'd imagine it's harder to make a sculpture out of cake cake than polystyrene, specially since you can get some real hard and tough polystyrene.

xsecx
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
well i'd imagine it's harder to make a sculpture out of cake cake than polystyrene, specially since you can get some real hard and tough polystyrene.

I'd imagine most are about the same density.

straightXed
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM

I think its more to do with cost, people actually buy dummy cakes but personally i will always want cake you can eat and not just cake you look at.

rodrigo
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I think its more to do with cost, people actually buy dummy cakes but personally i will always want cake you can eat and not just cake you look at.

i just read that they do that on weddings, since they sometimes take away the cake to cut it, nobody sees the fake cake

straightXed
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
i just read that they do that on weddings, since they sometimes take away the cake to cut it, nobody sees the fake cake

It makes sense...if you want a big fancy cake but only need a certain amount of actual cake for guests or what ever. But still, i want it all to be cake!!

rodrigo
06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
It makes sense...if you want a big fancy cake but only need a certain amount of actual cake for guests or what ever. But still, i want it all to be cake!!

is that your take as a dude who likes to make cakes? 'cause if i remember you're not a big cake consumer.

straightXed
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
is that your take as a dude who likes to make cakes? 'cause if i remember you're not a big cake consumer.

It is my take, yes, perhaps it should be noted that whilst i am not inclined to gorge myself on cake i am even less likely to gorge myself on polystyrene! Besides i like being able to share cake, thats why i like to make them, i don't fancy sharing fake cake!

mouseman004
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

The cake show I like to watch is called Cake Boss and its about an italian family in Jersey who make cakes. The cakes are crazy and they are always 100% edible.

rodrigo
06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
It is my take, yes, perhaps it should be noted that whilst i am not inclined to gorge myself on cake i am even less likely to gorge myself on polystyrene! Besides i like being able to share cake, thats why i like to make them, i don't fancy sharing fake cake!

you're a good man, ed.

The cake show I like to watch is called Cake Boss and its about an italian family in Jersey who make cakes. The cakes are crazy and they are always 100% edible.

we dont have that over here, but it makes me wonder wich is a higher title, a cake boss or an ace of cakes

straightXed
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
you're a good man, ed.

Thank you rodrigo

linsee
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm hungry now. I want cake.

I used to love Ace of Cakes, but I feel like it got less entertaining and the cakes didn't seem as awesome.

The Cake Boss dude drives me nuts.

I love watching the cake challenges on Food Network!

Psyche
07-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm hungry now. I want cake.

I used to love Ace of Cakes, but I feel like it got less entertaining and the cakes didn't seem as awesome.

The Cake Boss dude drives me nuts.

I love watching the cake challenges on Food Network!

I never really got into Ace of Cakes but I love Buddy on Cake Boss... why don't you like him?
Have you ever watched Cupcake wars?

linsee
07-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I never really got into Ace of Cakes but I love Buddy on Cake Boss... why don't you like him?
Have you ever watched Cupcake wars?

He just irritates me at times. I can't really pinpoint it.

Yeah I watch Cupcake Wars, I love it!

xXxsweetheart
07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I started my (very small)cupcake company after watching shows like that it really helps a lot! I REALLY am trying to be on Cupcake Wars, that would be so freakin AMAZING! I just started working on fondant cakes, normally it doesnt taste good, but i found a recipe with marshmellows thats SO good. I hope to start make huge cakes like they do on those shows but we will c.

rodrigo
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I started my (very small)cupcake company after watching shows like that it really helps a lot! I REALLY am trying to be on Cupcake Wars, that would be so freakin AMAZING! I just started working on fondant cakes, normally it doesnt taste good, but i found a recipe with marshmellows thats SO good. I hope to start make huge cakes like they do on those shows but we will c.

if you do, you should post what you make here, i really like looking at cakes.

xXxsweetheart
07-21-2011, 01:00 AM
if you do, you should post what you make here, i really like looking at cakes.
This website has a slideshow it has some of my special order cupcakes hoping to post my Fondant cakes soon http://treatheartscupcakes.weebly.com

xvunderx
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
One of my skirts actually appeared on an episode of Cake Boss! (very briefly)

UzUUCte9p6M&feature=player_embedded#at=11
(at 1:55 the girl in the middle with the pink and black skirt, it was an old design from when I used to do lolita clothes)

still didn't quite win me over, I preferred Ace of Cakes because I found a lot of the people who worked there entertaining, I think they reminded me a lot of of the kids I went to art school with.

Psyche
08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
This website has a slideshow it has some of my special order cupcakes hoping to post my Fondant cakes soon http://treatheartscupcakes.weebly.com

Your Heaven cupcakes sound delish!

xXxsweetheart
08-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Your Heaven cupcakes sound delish!

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!