PDA

View Full Version : a dilemma, just want to see what your opinions are

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
lets say i get really rich and famous for being a writer actor and director. which i will be one day. my work has no relation to sxe at all, but i stay straight edge, it all ways possible.

then when i am a shining media icon i mention that i am straight edge and i think its a great idea for kids to stay clear from drugs. then spend my extra hard earned cash on charities thats get kids off drugs, speak in any campaigns that tells kids to respect their virginity, and put anti-drug and pro-sxe messages in my work.

what would that appear to you people.
is it 'selling out'?
is it anti-sxe?
would you get pissed off with what was once a thing that you were proud of, everyone followed and you loose your individual mark?

any thing just say, i'm interested

xvunderx
01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
It's possible to promote those things without promoting sxe.

straightXed
01-09-2004, 04:12 PM
you don't need to influence people to follow the straightedge scene in order to live a drug free life.

Sean The Red
01-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by xvunderx
It's possible to promote those things without promoting sxe.

I agree.

flame_still_burns
01-10-2004, 08:54 AM
i don't know... i always said 'if i ever get a band that is on mtv or whatever i am going to be totally x'ed up!'

those were younger days... now it's almost like we want to keep it a secret because it's difficult if not impossible to promote straightedge through a non-hardcore outlet and have it remain a hardcore movement. does that make sense?

the reason that we are seeing kids who aren't hardcore claiming straightedge is that the ways that the word has gotten out have moved away from just hardcore or 'zines or whatever. so now i would not breathe a word about straightedge if i was super famous... but i agree promoting the drug free lifestyle would be excellent.

on a side note..i asked porcell once why none of judge was x'ed up in the 'where it went' video. he said it was that they were just busy and forgot or whatever and they weren't trying to tone down the edge for mtv. hmmmmm......

sabresnmets
01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
i would like it cause its for the kids, i just wouldnt want the straight edge thing being overdone, which it would.

Sean The Red
01-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by flame_still_burns
i don't know... i always said 'if i ever get a band that is on mtv or whatever i am going to be totally x'ed up!'

those were younger days... now it's almost like we want to keep it a secret because it's difficult if not impossible to promote straightedge through a non-hardcore outlet and have it remain a hardcore movement. does that make sense?

the reason that we are seeing kids who aren't hardcore claiming straightedge is that the ways that the word has gotten out have moved away from just hardcore or 'zines or whatever. so now i would not breathe a word about straightedge if i was super famous... but i agree promoting the drug free lifestyle would be excellent.

on a side note..i asked porcell once why none of judge was x'ed up in the 'where it went' video. he said it was that they were just busy and forgot or whatever and they weren't trying to tone down the edge for mtv. hmmmmm......

it makes perfect sense.