PDA

View Full Version : Team work

xCrucialDudex
06-08-2010, 04:10 AM
My co-workers have a bad habit of not making permanent changes in servers' configuration files and so when the system gets down for any reason a bunch of weird issues crop up on the consequent reboot that hardly anyone can really pin point quickly. I've been lately exposed to a great deal of issues that could've been prevented by simply not being a lazy ass. What a waste of time. Don't you people even care about your own time? Shoot.

xsecx
06-10-2010, 08:30 AM
My co-workers have a bad habit of not making permanent changes in servers' configuration files and so when the system gets down for any reason a bunch of weird issues crop up on the consequent reboot that hardly anyone can really pin point quickly. I've been lately exposed to a great deal of issues that could've been prevented by simply not being a lazy ass. What a waste of time. Don't you people even care about your own time? Shoot.

do you guys share logins or can you tell who did what? that's not so much an issue of teamwork as it is people not being conscientious of their work and just being sloppy.

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 07:04 AM
do you guys share logins or can you tell who did what? that's not so much an issue of teamwork as it is people not being conscientious of their work and just being sloppy.

Yeah, we share root logins and trust each other to make the whole process simpler but the downside of this is this situation when it's almost impossible to tell who did what. Anyway, I'm just appalled by the attitude. It's easy to forget what you did over time and chances are high you're going to face the very problem you had created yourself only because of the rash and sloppy working style.

xsecx
06-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, we share root logins and trust each other to make the whole process simpler but the downside of this is this situation when it's almost impossible to tell who did what. Anyway, I'm just appalled by the attitude. It's easy to forget what you did over time and chances are high you're going to face the very problem you had created yourself only because of the rash and sloppy working style.

install tripwire. or make everyone login with a unique login first and then sudo or su otherwise shit like this is going to keep happening.

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
install tripwire. or make everyone login with a unique login first and then sudo or su otherwise shit like this is going to keep happening.

There's of course a number of ways to approach this but being a new guy on a team as I am and people used to do their work this way for a decade - literally - I can hardly see changes happening any time soon, let alone instantly.

I think the work could be done the way it is done today quite effectively. People just need to learn to love being prudent and being able to realize the consequences of the described attitude and working style.

xsecx
06-11-2010, 09:30 AM
There's of course a number of ways to approach this but being a new guy on a team as I am and people used to do their work this way for a decade - literally - I can hardly see changes happening any time soon, let alone instantly.

I think the work could be done the way it is done today quite effectively. People just need to learn to love being prudent and being able to realize the consequences of the described attitude and working style.

not having an audit trail or knowing who did what will never be smart or effective.

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
not having an audit trail or knowing who did what will never be smart or effective.

I think all you need is careful, honest people to make it work but this doesn't account for a bad memory of course. Ultimately, you're absolutely right. Having an audit trail that's easy to find data in would be absolutely great.

xsecx
06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I think all you need is careful, honest people to make it work but this doesn't account for a bad memory of course. Ultimately, you're absolutely right. Having an audit trail that's easy to find data in would be absolutely great.

even the most careful and honest people make mistakes. that's why you put policies in place to make it so you don't have to rely on perfect people and so you know who either needs to get more training or fired when mistakes happen. The problem you're talking about is more about a total lack of structure than a matter of teamwork. Working somewhere like that would drive me nuts and just lead me to be resentful of the folks I work with without ever knowing who was making the mistakes.

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Working somewhere like that would drive me nuts and just lead me to be resentful of the folks I work with without ever knowing who was making the mistakes.

Yeah it's tough sometimes.