PDA

View Full Version : new caffeine study

xsecx
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65138U20100602

straightXed
06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65138U20100602

Makes sense to me, i actually find a good drink of water does a fair ammount to make me more alert when i am fatigued at work.

SgtD
06-03-2010, 03:27 AM
not surprising at all.

xCrucialDudex
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Makes sense to me, i actually find a good drink of water does a fair ammount to make me more alert when i am fatigued at work.

Water's the best, indeed.

Pilaf
06-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I've only drank water, soymilk, juice and herbal tea for like a month and I feel a shit ton better. It's really true what they say. Sodas are a terrible fucking drug. I still dunno if I'd include those in things that violate straight edge, but they're sure as hell not good for you in any way shape or form.

CarlaRant
06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
When I quit soda years ago, I experienced violent shaking and severe migraines. Now...I used to drink seven Dr Peppers a day plus daily black tea. Did you experience a mild version of this?

xsecx
06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I've only drank water, soymilk, juice and herbal tea for like a month and I feel a shit ton better. It's really true what they say. Sodas are a terrible fucking drug. I still dunno if I'd include those in things that violate straight edge, but they're sure as hell not good for you in any way shape or form.

you kinda contradicted yourself. if you think it's a terrible fucking drug, then how could the consumption of it fit within a straight edge mindset?

xCrucialDudex
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
you kinda contradicted yourself. if you think it's a terrible fucking drug, then how could the consumption of it fit within a straight edge mindset?

Is this personal or are you just bored to death and have nothing better to do than pick on the guy's words that have a leeway in their meaning?

xsecx
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Is this personal or are you just bored to death and have nothing better to do than pick on the guy's words that have a leeway in their meaning?

neither. the guys words don't really make sense and do contradict each other.

Lifestyle_X
06-10-2010, 09:26 AM

I understand you, but I can't blame Dusty.

Anyway, I drink liters of water. Sometimes some fresh made fruitjuice or some coco.

Pilaf
06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
neither. the guys words don't really make sense and do contradict each other.

My personal definition of straight edge is the avoidance of recreational intoxication. Furthermore, a drug can be defined as any substance which alters the chemical composition of the body. Food could be classified as a drug, since many foods alter our moods and obviously alter our bodies by keeping them alive. Dopamine, a natural hormone your body releases to reward you for doing good things like exercising could be considered as a drug. It's possible to get addicted to working out, although that's obviously healthier for you than getting addicted to, say, heroin. I have a very logical, pragmatic view of straight edge and of positive hardcore values. It's about keeping a clear mind so I can live a better life. Caffeine is shitty, but nobody ever got raped at a party or drove their truck into a light pole and died because they had one coca cola too many. That happens with beer, but not caffeine.

I dunno. Maybe you're right and my definition is too liberal. I won't be drinking any more caffeine regardless. I'm done with it. I went back and forth a few times but I just feel so much better without it. I wouldn't consider giving it up to be a straight edge thing as much as a general health/feeling better thing. Maybe I was a hypocrite for drinking it and calling myself edge in the first place. If I was, no big deal. It's only a label, not some sacred almighty thing. I personally do consider myself edge and consider my giving up of caffeine to be a logical extension of those values, just like stopping eating meat or starting to recycle more or re evaluating the way I feel about women or homosexuals is a logical extension. Those are obviously not part of straight edge but they fit with it rather well, don't you think? So yeah. PMA.

xsecx
06-10-2010, 08:30 PM
My personal definition of straight edge is the avoidance of recreational intoxication. Furthermore, a drug can be defined as any substance which alters the chemical composition of the body. Food could be classified as a drug, since many foods alter our moods and obviously alter our bodies by keeping them alive. Dopamine, a natural hormone your body releases to reward you for doing good things like exercising could be considered as a drug. It's possible to get addicted to working out, although that's obviously healthier for you than getting addicted to, say, heroin. I have a very logical, pragmatic view of straight edge and of positive hardcore values. It's about keeping a clear mind so I can live a better life. Caffeine is shitty, but nobody ever got raped at a party or drove their truck into a light pole and died because they had one coca cola too many. That happens with beer, but not caffeine.

I dunno. Maybe you're right and my definition is too liberal. I won't be drinking any more caffeine regardless. I'm done with it. I went back and forth a few times but I just feel so much better without it. I wouldn't consider giving it up to be a straight edge thing as much as a general health/feeling better thing. Maybe I was a hypocrite for drinking it and calling myself edge in the first place. If I was, no big deal. It's only a label, not some sacred almighty thing. I personally do consider myself edge and consider my giving up of caffeine to be a logical extension of those values, just like stopping eating meat or starting to recycle more or re evaluating the way I feel about women or homosexuals is a logical extension. Those are obviously not part of straight edge but they fit with it rather well, don't you think? So yeah. PMA.

Everything you've said can be applied to caffeine, but because of solicitation you present it as different. You don't think anyone has died from using caffeine? That people haven't used it as a crutch to keep awake when they should be sleeping and had negative things happen? That caffeine has no negative side effects. I don't see how you can talk about something being about not getting intoxicated but then say that something that does intoxicate isn't related to straight edge.

I just find it mind blowing that people have no issue with people drinking a bunch of caffeine is totally in line with straight edge but drinking a beer or smoking a joint isn't. I don't see how caffeine is a logical extension, when it's a drug and therefore isn't an extension at all? You talk about how your view of straight edge as logical and talking about keeping a clear mind, but I fail to see how that's possible if someone uses caffeine recreationally?

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 07:10 AM
I understand you, but I can't blame Dusty.

So, you felt that strange vibe in the dude's reply too.

Lifestyle_X
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
So, you felt that strange vibe in the dude's reply too.

Vibe ? Dude ?

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Vibe ? Dude ?

Your questions?

x.Xmiss_SmogX.x
07-04-2010, 09:19 AM
at my last job i used to always see everyone constantly drinking coffee, tea, coke etc during the day to keep them going. However in the toilets there was a big poster that explained the main reasons for fatigue felt at work was due to dehidration and explained the benefits of drinking plenty of water during the day. i used to constantly have a big bottle of cold water at my desk an found whenever i fould start eeling tired and grumpy id feel better after a drink. There are so many more natural, healthy ways to make you feel better when working that overdosing on caffeen.

DawgWizard
07-30-2010, 05:28 AM
I chose to be straight edge like a week ago and it was by far the best choice I've ever made and I just cut caffeine cold turkey two days ago and I've already started to feel better after having a huge migraine yesterday

xsecx
07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I chose to be straight edge like a week ago and it was by far the best choice I've ever made and I just cut caffeine cold turkey two days ago and I've already started to feel better after having a huge migraine yesterday

that's awesome dude!

DawgWizard
07-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Day 3 of no caffeine and still feeling great but what about tea cuz the caffeine is found naturally in the leaves so is that still breaking edge?

xsecx
07-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Day 3 of no caffeine and still feeling great but what about tea cuz the caffeine is found naturally in the leaves so is that still breaking edge?

tea can have more caffeine than soda or coffee. you should be able to decaf for pretty much all of it though.

CarlaRant
07-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah, decaf green tea is excellent. You want to be careful using the "natural" argument, because shrooms and pot are both "natural."

DawgWizard
07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Ya I get where ur comin from I haven't drank any tea in a while cuz I just wanted to make sure thx

CarlaRant
07-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Oh! And rooibos tea (red tea) is delicious. My friend gave me some hazelnut rooibos loose leaf tea. It's a pain to make some time, but sooo good.

xsecx
07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh! And rooibos tea (red tea) is delicious. My friend gave me some hazelnut rooibos loose leaf tea. It's a pain to make some time, but sooo good.

tea baskets are the way to go. most of tea we drink is loose leaf

pryncessXxX
08-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Green tea has no caffeine right or earl grey?

rodrigo
08-11-2010, 10:21 AM

as far as i know, green tea does have caffeine.

wouldnt know about earl grey, dont know it.

xvunderx
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Green tea has some caffeine but not as much as black tea, Earl Grey is black tea infused with bergamot oil, and so has the same amount of caffeine as regular black tea.

Rooibos (or red) is totally caffeine free, and white tea has very little caffeine, and with the exception of oolong and similar it's easy to find most teas in decaf form.

Interested thing i looked into was that if you brew tea for 30 seconds, throw out the water and then re-brew the leaves to strength, about 80% off the caffeine is removed. I looked into why and apparently the caffeine is the most soluble part in tea, and so it comes out fastest. I don't know if that might be something you'd want to think about/look in to for yourself

Hopefully this helps! (can you tell i love tea?)

pryncessXxX
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah it helps me tons,thanks! :)