PDA

View Full Version : World War II - What were you taught?

xCrucialDudex
05-09-2010, 04:17 AM
9th May is a big day in Ukraine. It's an official day of celebration of victory over fascist coalition the Axis and specifically marks the capitulation of the Germany to Soviet Union.

Typically in a history, as academic discipline, there always seem to be happening some sort and degree of misinterpretation of the facts.

What I was taught in school and what I believe is still being taught about the World War I or II here in Ukraine is that USSR played a major role in this war and that it made the biggest sacrifice and contribution to defend its territory and defeat the enemies. Other countries' contributions are mentioned and highlighted but the emphasis is really, really strong on USSR.

I had a guy from Utah ask me if I believed the USA had played any significant role in this war this Friday. He also complained about the fact that most of the Ukrainians he talked to didn't think the USA made any significant contribution, comparatively I guess, in this war at all. He believes the USA played pretty significant role in the war.

This situation piqued my interest in this matter. I know there are people from different continents on this forum so I'm wondering what you were taught about World War I & World War II in school and college/university. What does seem to be a common believe in your country as to who made the biggest contributions and sacrifices in this war? What do you personally believe?

Teratus
05-09-2010, 04:35 AM
War is stupid

Greedy Arrogant men sending thousands of people off to fight and die just because they have a problem with another country

I hate it

nobody should fight or die for someone else's idea's

I would never fight for my country

xCrucialDudex
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
War is stupid

Greedy Arrogant men sending thousands of people off to fight and die just because they have a problem with another country

I hate it

nobody should fight or die for someone else's idea's

I would never fight for my country

We're on the same page here but what were you taught in school about this particular war?

Lifestyle_X
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
We were taught that our country suffered and was torn apart. USSR, UK, and North America all played a big role in this war. What I think is that I would speak German if we only had the USSR on our side. But I guess the same goes for if we only had the UK on our part. We have to thank both sides for our freedom. And oh, almost forgot the resistance.

StealthEdge
05-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Schools here teach you that the US did just about everything and other nations did some other stuff.

xCrucialDudex
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Schools here teach you that the US did just about everything and other nations did some other stuff.

I assume you're an American since you seem to come from Arizona... do you personally believe that "US did just about everything" is an accurate statement?

StealthEdge
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I assume you're an American since you seem to come from Arizona... do you personally believe that "US did just about everything" is an accurate statement?

No.

mouseman004
05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
9th May is a big day in Ukraine. It's an official day of celebration of victory over fascist coalition the Axis and specifically marks the capitulation of the Germany to Soviet Union.

Typically in a history, as academic discipline, there always seem to be happening some sort and degree of misinterpretation of the facts.

What I was taught in school and what I believe is still being taught about the World War I or II here in Ukraine is that USSR played a major role in this war and that it made the biggest sacrifice and contribution to defend its territory and defeat the enemies. Other countries' contributions are mentioned and highlighted but the emphasis is really, really strong on USSR.

I had a guy from Utah ask me if I believed the USA had played any significant role in this war this Friday. He also complained about the fact that most of the Ukrainians he talked to didn't think the USA made any significant contribution, comparatively I guess, in this war at all. He believes the USA played pretty significant role in the war.

This situation piqued my interest in this matter. I know there are people from different continents on this forum so I'm wondering what you were taught about World War I & World War II in school and college/university. What does seem to be a common believe in your country as to who made the biggest contributions and sacrifices in this war? What do you personally believe?

The USSR played a HUGE role in WWII and it was the opening of the second front with Russia that essentially ended the Nazis. Although credibility towards the "hero" status of the USSR kind of gets blown out the window seeing as they originally signed a non aggression pact and were willing to let Hitler do whatever he wanted until he decided to attack Russia.

Marion
05-10-2010, 01:17 AM
In France, we're taught that URSS indeed played quite an important role, but just as much as the UK, France, and of course, later, the US. I think we all agree, in France, that if it was not for the Americans (who came a bit too late, though, haha) we would probably have lost the war, but what happened before, with all these other countries, is very signifcant too.

Lifestyle_X
05-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Wasn't there also any resistance in the higher ranks of Hitler's officers who screwed things up for him ?

Teratus
05-10-2010, 04:20 AM
We're on the same page here but what were you taught in school about this particular war?

sorry man i really couldnt tell you

I have a appaulng memory :(
I remember very very little from school
and i litterally mean practically nothing

even though i used to have a big interest in History
I think Mythology kinda took over that though

xsecx
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
The USSR played a HUGE role in WWII and it was the opening of the second front with Russia that essentially ended the Nazis. Although credibility towards the "hero" status of the USSR kind of gets blown out the window seeing as they originally signed a non aggression pact and were willing to let Hitler do whatever he wanted until he decided to attack Russia.

this plus a bunch of stuff about how much of a prick stalin was. That and they didn't have much to do with the pacific.

hatley
05-12-2010, 12:15 AM
It wasn't until I went to the university and had a history class I learned exactly what World War meant.
There are definitely parts of the US, and I am from one of them, where they only teach what the US front did...and not necessarily the World front of what happened. Thus the blinders that are applied. So I can see how the guy from Utah would have said that. Especially being in Idaho right now (one state north)...this is one of those areas where blinders are applied.
I knew exactly what happened with the US, because that is what we needed to know to pass the standard tests but when it comes to around the world...lets just say that in some states the public schools lack.

xCrucialDudex
05-16-2010, 07:13 AM
It was very interesting to see everyone's opinion and perspective on this matter. Thank you for the answers.

Lifestyle_X
05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
No problemo. It's awesome to see that you are interested in all that stuff and ask other people about it.