PDA

View Full Version : The word "like"

hatley
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Like, I think I just sat through like the worst conversation ever!

So, I decided to look up the word like, in the dictionary and see what the definition of it had become and to my surprise. There are 29 definitions of like, and 5 of them are informal and one of them is:

-conjunction, Informal . (used esp. after forms of be to introduce reported speech or thought): She's like, "I don't believe it," and I'm like, "No, it's true!"

It's a major pet peeve of mine along with um...but it seems that "like" has now been accepted by Websters.

Anyone else have words that are pet peeves that are now "accepted"?

Lifestyle_X
05-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Amazing, but no I don't have any accepted ones.

rodrigo
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
i probably use tons, to make it easier to explain myself while talking or writing in english.

CarlaRant
05-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I noticed that it's been accepted in conversation to repeat everything said in a previous conversation.

Pet peeves....I have a lot of them. I hate it when my students use "gay" or "retarded" as adjectives. I hear adults use them too, as well as wishy washy terms such as "practically," "kinda" and "sorta" which irritate me.

D1988
05-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it.

lo0m
05-05-2010, 06:19 AM
we should "totally" change the quote function to show: D1988 was like: "I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it."

xsecx
05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I noticed that it's been accepted in conversation to repeat everything said in a previous conversation.

Pet peeves....I have a lot of them. I hate it when my students use "gay" or "retarded" as adjectives. I hear adults use them too, as well as wishy washy terms such as "practically," "kinda" and "sorta" which irritate me.

I can understand the issue with gay, but not retarded. Do you have an issue with idiot, moron, imbecile, dumb, etc as well?

CarlaRant
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
we should "totally" change the quote function to show: D1988 was like: "I like totally like went down to the store and liked all the food in there, so I like bought it all, and now I'm like, eating it."
*eye twitch*

I can understand the issue with gay, but not retarded. Do you have an issue with idiot, moron, imbecile, dumb, etc as well?
No, I don't mind those words. In fact, I think those are more accurate adjectives. I'm probably more sensitive to "retarded" because I hear it tossed around in front of my mentally challenged students.

xsecx
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
No, I don't mind those words. In fact, I think those are more accurate adjectives. I'm probably more sensitive to "retarded" because I hear it tossed around in front of my mentally challenged students.

they're pretty much all antiquated terms to describe mentally challenged though, some of which were medical at the time.

CarlaRant
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
they're pretty much all antiquated terms to describe mentally challenged though, some of which were medical at the time.

This is true.

Look, it doesn't have be logical; it's a pet peeve. Pet peeves are not based on logic. I just finished reading The Four Agreements and its basic tenets will be something I will strive towards: Have impeccable speech, don't take things personally, don't make assumptions, and always do your best. Therefore, my pet peeves will be something I will try to eradicate from my psyche. :)