PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

hatley
03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Name is Amanda. It's taken me a long time to get up the nerve to come here. But, straightedge has meant a lot to me in my life. I just didn't know what I had when I had it. I found it the way a lot of people don't: through the music when I was 14. Have always loved hardcore music: to this day I will argue that one of the best albums out there is "Walk Together, Rock Together" by 7 seconds.
What I also found was a site similar to this one, which is now defunct. I met a lot of awesome people on it. But, I was a stupid kid. Made a lot of stupid mistakes...none of them having to do with alcohol, drugs, sex or anything like that. Mine were all personal mistakes, of a really messed up kid that had no direction in life.
In the end I ended up losing 2 of the closest friends I had, who actually didn't even know me to start off with. But...fast forward 5 years...I took some positive philosophies I have learned, from none other than the people that I disappointed. Or at least they pointed me in the right direction. Got my personal life together, though in the process lost my edge....not sure if that is something that is meant to be, still learning. Life is always a learning process.
However, I do know that the music and ideals have always held a place for me, and that if I get to that point again where it seems right, that there might be that support out there?

rodrigo
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Name is Amanda. It's taken me a long time to get up the nerve to come here. But, straightedge has meant a lot to me in my life. I just didn't know what I had when I had it. I found it the way a lot of people don't: through the music when I was 14. Have always loved hardcore music: to this day I will argue that one of the best albums out there is "Walk Together, Rock Together" by 7 seconds.
What I also found was a site similar to this one, which is now defunct. I met a lot of awesome people on it. But, I was a stupid kid. Made a lot of stupid mistakes...none of them having to do with alcohol, drugs, sex or anything like that. Mine were all personal mistakes, of a really messed up kid that had no direction in life.
In the end I ended up losing 2 of the closest friends I had, who actually didn't even know me to start off with. But...fast forward 5 years...I took some positive philosophies I have learned, from none other than the people that I disappointed. Or at least they pointed me in the right direction. Got my personal life together, though in the process lost my edge....not sure if that is something that is meant to be, still learning. Life is always a learning process.
However, I do know that the music and ideals have always held a place for me, and that if I get to that point again where it seems right, that there might be that support out there?

hey there! welcome
that's my favourite 7 seconds album.
if i understood correctly you're saying that you're not straight edge but you used to be and if there's a moment when you feel like being edge is the way to go, then yeah, there will be support. as long as its a concious choice it'll be alright!

hatley
03-24-2010, 06:25 AM
hey there! welcome
that's my favourite 7 seconds album.
if i understood correctly you're saying that you're not straight edge but you used to be and if there's a moment when you feel like being edge is the way to go, then yeah, there will be support. as long as its a concious choice it'll be alright!

Great to know that there is someone who actually knows who 7 seconds is out there.

Yes. Exactly.

straightXed
03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Great to know that there is someone who actually knows who 7 seconds is out there.

Yes. Exactly.

I still prefered the crew but rock together was great!

Hi and welcome!

lo0m
03-24-2010, 07:21 AM
they both were very good, but i'm on the "Soulforce Revolution" side right now..

oh, and welcome Amanda!

hatley
03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Both are good, but I can't get away from the lyrics from "walk together, Rock together" and there are quite a few live songs on there...and they haven't done that with any of their albums. (but if its not easy to find on the net, then I haven't probably) I'm a sucker for live songs, especially with a long commute that I have every day. Stick on cruise control and rock out.

straightXed
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Both are good, but I can't get away from the lyrics from "walk together, Rock together" and there are quite a few live songs on there...and they haven't done that with any of their albums. (but if its not easy to find on the net, then I haven't probably) I'm a sucker for live songs, especially with a long commute that I have every day. Stick on cruise control and rock out.

You should pick up scream real loud or 7seconds live one plus one then, you should enjoy them!

hatley
03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
See...this is what Apple Genius will not tell you. And, when there isn't any music scene in both of the places I have lived for the past 5 yrs. You miss a little bit, both in the history and in the current.
Thanks.

Doux
04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm Josh from Claremore, Oklahoma and i'm 21 years old.

I just recently adopted the straight edge... i had to quit smoking first and it was kinda difficult but i'm not looking back.

Before the change of lifestyle i drank for 4 years and smoked for almost 2, never did real drugs though, had a cokehead friend and was repulsed by the idea of hard drugs. I prefer to be clean though, I'm alot happier and i feel stronger and healthier.

Are there many people here like me that used substances before finding the straight edge or have most people here always been clean?

I believe the straight edge to be a means by which to live one's life to make good decisions rather than a label or a clique. I don't like militant egders, to me they are just as bad as people who pressure someone to drink. Much like an agressive atheist (not to be confused with all atheists) who argues in a manner that is just as childish and dogmatic as any religious zealot.

I am in a local band called State of Revenge, I love old school punk and hardcore but i listen to most anything. I must admit I haven't heard of many sxe bands outside of Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, and SS Decontrol (i guess i never actually looked). I'm always looking for new bands to look into though.

Favorite bands that I'm listening to right now are Sick of It All and Donnybrook

My politics are based on my own personal common sense although most people have likened me to a libertarian.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people, if you all want to know more just ask.

Marion
04-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Hi! And welcome

I
Are there many people here like me that used substances before finding the straight edge or have most people here always been clean?

First got drunk at 15, last time at 18, I quitted smoking cigarettes at 14, and smoked some light drugs a couple of time. I was never near being "addicted", but I realized, even drinking "only" a couple time a year was stupid. I always felt really bad seeing all those friends getting drunk or high three times a week, even when I was an occasional drinker. Been totally drug-free for a year, though :)

Lifestyle_X
04-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the boards.

pryncessXxX
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey there,Amanda. I too,just got the courage to come here. I was doing crazy,stupid and harmful things very young. I did have an inferiority complex in which I told myself I had to do it. Smoking,drinking and some drugs. The way I'd justify it was that it was drugs,but nothing hard. Plus I missed out on cool things like spending money on books,cds,movies and education materials. If someone asked me if I wanted to go to see a movie,out to dinner,shopping,etc. I said I'd be just as happy with a pack of cigs Or a blunt or pills. I just got so careless to a point that I'd spend food and bill money for all my family and me on that soulless poison. Until the night I almost died. I was in a foster home,and a darned wreck. I remember not watching what or how many pills I'd been taking that day. All I could recall after the fact was,tons of people watching as I was pulled by gurney to ambulance,headache,vomiting and everything around me hazy. Last but not least [finally,LOL] I was being fed coal powder and fitted with IVs and breathing tubes. I wanted not to hand myself in to temptation after that,more important to be there for my family. And now til the day I die,I'm proudly straight edge!

CarlaRant
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I spent a year in a rehab treatment program at a very young age for my addictions. I think there's a good mix of experiences here.