PDA

View Full Version : Those who Break Edge...

xBOBOx
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I know I am the new guy, but I thought I would throw this out there cause it has been a big discussion between my edge friends and I. Those who break: can they reclaim and if so why? I know Edge is not a fashion statement or just words...but do people have the right to reclaim without harassment? Or is this a juvenile thought in the sense that it shouldn't matter whether or not you break and reclaim...it's the fact that you choose that lifestyle and do your best to maintain regardless if you make a mistake every now and then. My personal view is that once you claim it...you never go back. Some say that if you claim and break...you never were in the first place. Just a thought. I have had people argue that you can reclaim. I am new to this community, but I wanted to contribute. This probably has been discussed already somewhere so I apologize if this is old news.

straightXed
03-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I know I am the new guy, but I thought I would throw this out there cause it has been a big discussion between my edge friends and I. Those who break: can they reclaim and if so why? I know Edge is not a fashion statement or just words...but do people have the right to reclaim without harassment? Or is this a juvenile thought in the sense that it shouldn't matter whether or not you break and reclaim...it's the fact that you choose that lifestyle and do your best to maintain regardless if you make a mistake every now and then. My personal view is that once you claim it...you never go back. Some say that if you claim and break...you never were in the first place. Just a thought. I have had people argue that you can reclaim. I am new to this community, but I wanted to contribute. This probably has been discussed already somewhere so I apologize if this is old news.

that whole if you are not now you never were makes me laugh so much. Its ridiculous. breaking edge is something that happens more often than not yet many of those that break edge have made amazing contributions to straightedge. many iconic bands, that made records that remain a prominent source of inspiration even today, are guilty of breaking edge. those records remain edge records, those times remain times where what those people were passionate about was straightedge. People break and sometimes its so odd when people come from being incredibly vocal about straightedge to then drinking a beer. It can feel like you dont know that person or at least not know them as well as you thought but its life, people change, ideas change, no one remains the same. I would personally argue that you can reclaim, you are free to feel that they are somehow no longer to be taken seriously and you are free to be non supportive of them in future but pressures can be tough and people can make mistakes even when they are edge and realise that and then reclaim. People have different approaches and different reasons and issues and unfortunately a lot of people will end up not being edge but thats always been the way. I personally make my judgements of those people and of all people based on more than simply being edge...i have no intention of changing your mind, i am happy for you to believe that straightedge is a one time deal and that people who break were somehow never edge. I have heard all the arguments for it and i am simply putting my angle in this thread so there is some form of contrast as its all too easy to get railroaded by single mindedness if there is no contrasting thought on the matter. Obviously i believe that my thoughts on this make more sense, i am happy in my reasoning on the matter and have never found a suitable or convincing argument for the one time deal or not now never were mindsets.

xBOBOx
03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
No I definitely hear what your saying. I have friends that just broke recently and it hasn't changed our relationship. I guess I am just saying just for me it has to be a one time deal...although I know mistakes are prevalent and I make them every day....that's just one thing I have had to stick to w/out wandering. But yea in general, I agree with what you are saying. Straight Edge doesn't define a person. I just know what I have to do for me, but I definitely do not impose that on others. I try to encourage it, but everyone chooses their own path and I just need to keep myself on track...that's all. Good words. Thanks!

Marion
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
that's a tough debate... but I have more or less the same opinion as straightXed. People change. And some people are just not strong enough to not make mistake. I think people usually deserve a second chance, so I guess it's the same thing here. You cannot deprive someone of the ability to claim straight edge, even if, for you, they're no longer (or never were) straight.

easy
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
i think of it this way... if my friend dusty breaks edge (he wont but play along) do i want him to not be a part of sxe anymore? or do i want him to realize the mistakes he has made and rededicate his life to sxe? i want what is best for dusty and i will support him in any way i can and not chastise him for his mistakes. i will even go as far as to encourage him to change his life and get back to the sxe that has meant so much to him in his life. i dont understand this one time only rule, i know people dont want people to go back and forth and give sxe a bad name but ultimately dont we want people to realize that living a life free from drugs and alcohol is always the best choice? i personally dont want to be part of an exclusive gang that only allows the most 'true' because doesnt that encourage that whole gang mentality which has led sxe off in the wrong direction??

xBOBOx
03-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Agreed. I am all for the betterment of people. In the end it's about what I can do to help. So encouraging others to keep up the good work and not get down if they make a mistake is so imperative. If I didn't have anyone doing that for me...I would be in a bad place.

lo0m
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
i think of it this way... if my friend dusty breaks edge (he wont but play along) do i want him to not be a part of sxe anymore? or do i want him to realize the mistakes he has made and rededicate his life to sxe? i want what is best for dusty and i will support him in any way i can and not chastise him for his mistakes. i will even go as far as to encourage him to change his life and get back to the sxe that has meant so much to him in his life. i dont understand this one time only rule, i know people dont want people to go back and forth and give sxe a bad name but ultimately dont we want people to realize that living a life free from drugs and alcohol is always the best choice? i personally dont want to be part of an exclusive gang that only allows the most 'true' because doesnt that encourage that whole gang mentality which has led sxe off in the wrong direction??

excellent outlook...

xsecx
03-19-2010, 08:44 AM

but I loves the drugz.

xBOBOx
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
As long as you hide the track marks between your toes no one will notice!

xsecx
03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
As long as you hide the track marks between your toes no one will notice!

yeah. but seriously. easy's right. it is all about making the world a better place and not getting pissed off when people change.

xBOBOx
03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I guess I should reemphasize that for me I have to make it a one time choice; however, if I make a mistake I would go back and do my best to follow those guidelines. I should of added in the beginning that it's all about trying and doing your best to follow whatever helps you live a healthy clean lifestyle. It sucks when people break, but like I said, I have friends that just broke and I don't see them differently. It's important for a lot of people to realize that being Edge does not mean you can put yourself on a pedestal. I have friends that do that and I know a lot of Edge people that do that. But yea, totally agree with what you guys are saying!

straightXed
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I guess I should reemphasize that for me I have to make it a one time choice; however, if I make a mistake I would go back and do my best to follow those guidelines. I should of added in the beginning that it's all about trying and doing your best to follow whatever helps you live a healthy clean lifestyle. It sucks when people break, but like I said, I have friends that just broke and I don't see them differently. It's important for a lot of people to realize that being Edge does not mean you can put yourself on a pedestal. I have friends that do that and I know a lot of Edge people that do that. But yea, totally agree with what you guys are saying!

Sounds like with this post its not as much of a one time thing as you make out.

SXE_SMITTY
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I like the idea of.. if you break edge, you were never edge. therefore, fuck you. =]

straightXed
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I like the idea of.. if you break edge, you were never edge. therefore, fuck you. =]

Well articulated, you certainly prove it to be the stance of those that can use reasoning and put forward an elloquent and flawless argument.

hatley
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Just being on the other side of this:
I claimed when I was 14 and broke when I was 22. I claimed for all the wrong reasons, edge become a crutch for me...something for me to hide behind. At 14 I didn't know who I was, and while other kids were changing I didn't. I stood behind my wall of "F you" basically. Meanwhile instead of drinking, doing drugs, smoking like others I was cutting, suicidal, a pathological liar, and one of those crazy violent kids in the mosh pit, Sound familiar to any other edge kids you know? Cause I have known quite a few... though who knows where they are now in life.
My dad committed suicide and there was no turning back: time to take on the personal stuff, I was not going to be like him:
"wake up and live
it takes some motivation It takes some love for life
why just sit complacent and let life pass you by
boredom is a choice I choose not to make
unlock that door, strive for more
there's a better path to take" -Youth of Today
Found a better path...realized that I was using edge for all the wrong reasons. Its not a veil, it is a better path just not the path I needed to be on.

I decided it was time to break with something I held onto, My first drink was when i was 22, with my husband on our anniversary. I still drink socially at business functions (and prefer not to do that). Never smoked, never done any drugs...its not me.

Claiming again, who knows: I want to be a positive role model for my future kids one day. Edge is a philosophy I want them to ask about. Or at least when they are rocking out to Minor Threat I want them to ask " Mommy, what is the Straight Edge?" , because it will be in their vocabulary. Coming from me, its a struggling choice that revolves around the business that I want to be in and the personal philosophy that I hold. I think that is a good enough reason to one day do it if I choose. I know what I lost and what I would be gaining back.

xCTx
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
For me, i consider breaking edge is when you go back to drinking, smoking, and drugs if you were ever into them in the first place. I think if someone just stops claiming edge they just stop claiming it thats it i don't consider that an edge break. And it's not exactly something to be ashamed of in my opinion but you can't jump on and off like a trampolin. I claimed at first when i was 15 but i cared what people though too much and didn't even know the TRUE meaning of Straight Edge and i was claiming for all the wrong reasons. Then i found it again at 18 and realized that is the type of life to live. Between those years i only drank a few times but was never drunk, high, and i never smoked cigarettes. To me there is a fine line between breaking edge and just choosing a different path in your life.

soulxedge
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
People do the best they can with what they have at that moment. People live, people learn. Some people don't live, some people don't learn.

If your not moving forward because of them, your being poisoned by them.

That shxt can be toxic.

soulxedge

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Once you claim Straight Edge that is for life. There is no coming and going, this isn't a revolving door. This mind set is what differs our lifestyle from every other fad way of living out there in the world right now. IF you break Straight Edge every now and again your just a dude or gal who drinks every now and again or whatever you do. Your not a Straight Edge dude or gal who had a mistake. If you can not handle this lifestyle then maybe you should walk away and not waste all of our time. Thinking an individual may break Edge and then return is an insult to all of us who lead this lifestyle everyday and keep it alive. If your just a poser and think this life choice is just cool at the time you are not welcome. This is how I was brought up as a young Straight Edge kid. Once Straight Edge always Straight Edge and if you sell out well don't let me see you again. That was made clear when I discovered this way of life. If you sell out youll be sorry that you ever claimed and heaven forbid you have any ink and you sold out. Thats all I have to say about that.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Once you claim Straight Edge that is for life. There is no coming and going, this isn't a revolving door. This mind set is what differs our lifestyle from every other fad way of living out there in the world right now. IF you break Straight Edge every now and again your just a dude or gal who drinks every now and again or whatever you do. Your not a Straight Edge dude or gal who had a mistake. If you can not handle this lifestyle then maybe you should walk away and not waste all of our time. Thinking an individual may break Edge and then return is an insult to all of us who lead this lifestyle everyday and keep it alive. If your just a poser and think this life choice is just cool at the time you are not welcome. This is how I was brought up as a young Straight Edge kid. Once Straight Edge always Straight Edge and if you sell out well don't let me see you again. That was made clear when I discovered this way of life. If you sell out youll be sorry that you ever claimed and heaven forbid you have any ink and you sold out. Thats all I have to say about that.

so you go around and give shit to pretty much every member of every edge band that ever existed?

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
If that is the route they chose, then yes. I can not even believe people would accept sellouts back into the SE community. And if your SE and allow others to break SE and come back then your not SE. And you probably should not be on this website.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
If that is the route they chose, then yes. I can not even believe people would accept sellouts back into the SE community. And if your SE and allow others to break SE and come back then your not SE. And you probably should not be on this website.

So who have you given shit to? Who have you confronted? I mean, there are a lot of really well known second rounders that I'm sure you've seen play live. I'm just curious to know what you've actually done since you're deciding who can and can't be edge.

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Furthermore: if you join this community of SE with the mind set that one day I might sellout or break edge however you wanna say it. Then you should have never became SE. Because if that thought of drinking or smoking or whatever it is you do is in your mind then your not ready to be SE. I am all for helping poeple to overcome there dependency on substances, but that person must be completly free of the thoughts or temptations to start claiming thereselves SE. Because if that thought or want is still in there system then the crutch is still there. They must walk free before they will be accepted.

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Im not directing anything I do not go out of my way to confront people, what they do is there buisness. And second-rounders? I dont know what SE crew or community you grew up in but second rounder? Please.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Im not directing anything I do not go out of my way to confront people, what they do is there buisness. And second-rounders? I dont know what SE crew or community you grew up in but second rounder? Please.

Then tone down the rhetoric. Either you're going to let people do their thing and it's their business or you're going to confront them. Which is it? Are you denying that second rounders exist? I grew up in DC. I've been edge for around 2 decades. I've seen people sellout. I've seen people make mistakes and then get sober. I don't see any point in taking a sanctimonious attitude and saying to that person that they're not edge because at some point in the past they decided to use. The point is sobriety and encouraging people to live drug free not rhetoric about how if you're not now you never were and if you once were you never can be again. It's bullshit and pointless.

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 09:46 AM
In my book second rounders do not exsit. And I do confornt people however I do not go out of my way to do it. Like I said its there buisness. They can make mistakes and get sober good for them, but your not SE. You used to be SE and you used, now your not SE. Its simple. Its not rhetoric, I am dissappointed that people claim my way of life then sell out and come back. This isnt a religion where you can go out and make all the mistakes you want and then ask for forgivness. You choose this and are SE for life. And I am not here for a pissing contest the dude asked for an opinion and I gave it and now you mant me to name people I confronted? Come on. And to answer a question from earlier if an Edge band sell out, then guess what they are just another Hardcore, Punk metal (or whatever type of music they play) band. I support SXE bands and when they stop supporting me I stop supporting them.

x_dannyb_X
04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
true til death is what makes us and our community different than everyone else. its not true til maybe friday and then im SE again. no. its a commitment. a life long commitment. thats whats wrong with a lot of people these days. we dont hold people to there word. now people are walking around and saying how loyal or how dedicated they are and then drop out. im not saying we should hunt down the no believers. but what we have to do, not just in the se world, but everyday life is hold people accountable for their actions. this goes from every thing to lying to stealing to people who go back on their word. for me, i say what i mean and there is no beating around the bush. i would like to see everyone have this same mentality and hold their selves accountable for their actions.

the two things i hold in high regard in my life is integrity and loyalty. i am loyal to those i love and no matter who you are, i will never tell you a lie.

rodrigo
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
In my book second rounders do not exsit. And I do confornt people however I do not go out of my way to do it. Like I said its there buisness. They can make mistakes and get sober good for them, but your not SE. You used to be SE and you used, now your not SE. Its simple. Its not rhetoric, I am dissappointed that people claim my way of life then sell out and come back. This isnt a religion where you can go out and make all the mistakes you want and then ask for forgivness. You choose this and are SE for life. And I am not here for a pissing contest the dude asked for an opinion and I gave it and now you mant me to name people I confronted? Come on. And to answer a question from earlier if an Edge band sell out, then guess what they are just another Hardcore, Punk metal (or whatever type of music they play) band. I support SXE bands and when they stop supporting me I stop supporting them.

i guess you're gonna have to change a lot of this then

Bands: xAFBx, xLooking Forwardx, Bane, Have Heart, Throwdown, xBishopx, xTyrantx, Eighteen Visions, Earth Crisis and lots more

Last record I bought: Straight Edge as Fuck Vol1 and 2(compilation)

4 bands to play together: Youth of Today, Minor Threat, xAFBx, Earth Crisis

x_dannyb_X
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
i guess you're gonna have to change a lot of this then

question. which one of those bands are not straight edge anymore? honest question.

rodrigo
04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
question. which one of those bands are not straight edge anymore? honest question.
i didnt really say this about bands being straight edge or not. but the "support" part

x_dannyb_X
04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
i didnt really say this about bands being straight edge or not. but the "support" part

oh. ok. damn it, thats one thing i hate about message boards, you can never fully understand what people mean. every thing gets blown out of proportion or underrepresented

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I can't support Straight Edge Bands? I do not understand what you are refering too? If they sell out do I stop listening to there old stuff when the message was SE.....not at all. Do I like non-SE bands of course. So what about the support?

rodrigo
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I can't support Straight Edge Bands? I do not understand what you are refering too? If they sell out do I stop listening to there old stuff when the message was SE.....not at all. Do I like non-SE bands of course. So what about the support?

I support SXE bands and when they stop supporting me I stop supporting them.

well, most of the bands you named dont support anybody because they dont exist anymore

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
So I have to stop listening to them? Because they do not exsist. They still support the scene, the music still supports the scene. The message still gets out there.

rodrigo
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
So I have to stop listening to them? Because they do not exsist. They still support the scene, the music still supports the scene. The message still gets out there.

so does old bane songs and they are not a straight edge band anymore. and they still play those songs.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM

but they're still sellouts. So why wouldn't you stop listening to them? Why wouldn't you give them shit?

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Why wouldn't I give them shit? Do I buy there records or appereal anymore no. But Do I listen to the original music....yes. So I do not give them shit. And only the drummer is not SE.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Why wouldn't I give them shit? Do I buy there records or appereal anymore no. But Do I listen to the original music....yes. So I do not give them shit. And only the drummer is not SE.

Why wouldn't you stop listening to the original music? It seems inconsistent to me that you're saying that it's a one time thing and you won't let people make a mockery of straight edge, but then you'll still listen to songs made by sellouts? How is this any different?

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
It is a one time thing its not a revolving door. What they do now doesnt change what was cut into that record in the past. The message is still on that record. And I will listen to it. And I will like it.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
It is a one time thing its not a revolving door. What they do now doesnt change what was cut into that record in the past. The message is still on that record. And I will listen to it. And I will like it.

Except that a bunch of those dudes are second rounders now. And some of the time, were second round when those songs were recorded. Why aren't they making a mockery of things? Why are you saying you're completely against sellouts, but giving this a pass because you like the tunes?

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I do not know the deep SE history of all the bands I listen too. Would I like to yes. So if I contradict myself because I am unfamliar with the past of some of the bands I listen too then I am guilty.

xsecx
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I do not know the deep SE history of all the bands I listen too. Would I like to yes. So if I contradict myself because I am unfamliar with the past of some of the bands I listen too then I am guilty.

there pretty much has never been a band that has ever existed where all of the members are still straight edge.

xplan_Bx
04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
And your point is..........

xsecx
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
And your point is..........

that you need to start burning your records and breaking your cds.

funwithpinetrees
05-10-2010, 09:40 PM

if you be my body guard
I will be your long lost pal

this is what paul simon said and he wa a fucking G

XDISENGAGEX
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Ive never sold out. Always stayed true. And always will. It pisses me off when bands claim they will be edge for life and then arnt. Chain of strength being the worst !!!(but were they ever really edge in the first place !) Remember Erba out of Face Value? That shit he said. We are never gonna sell out. We are never gonna change? But this shit is just human nature. I still love Chain of strength and still love old Face Value. Still love all those edge bands that sold out. Cos, the music still remains. Its whats going on in your head that counts the most. Stay true to yourself.......and thats all you can do. I love AC DC. But they aint edge. Music is music. How many people on here who have been edge for say 6 months are still gonna be edge in 30 years? Worry about yourself first. Then start thinking about sell outs. Ive been edge 24 years. And tbh. Have never actually drunk or smoked or done drugs in my life. So I guess its easy for me to stay true till death. I don't know. Who gives a fuck what someone who bought the Chain of strength 7" when it first came out thinks anyway !!! Im old. I should shut up :)