PDA

View Full Version : watch geekery

xsecx
02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
is anyone here into watches at all?

straightXed
02-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah, i have never spent a lot on a watch but i do like them. I like that my current watch syncs to the atomic clock...things like that make me happy with my watch!

rodrigo
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM

i like 'em, but i avoid expensive ones, cause they avoid being boughtable by my pocket

SgtD
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
did somebody call me?

xsecx
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
did somebody call me?

start talking bubba.

right now I have this:
http://lum-tec.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/M17web.17223205_std.jpg
http://lum-tec.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/M17lumeweb.17223332_std.jpg

it's got Rare twin barrel 21 jewel vintage automatic winding Soviet military movement. Slava 2427. it's a solidly awesome watch.

their new stuff is coming out soon and I really want:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/wis913/lum-tec%20studio%20shots/M42web.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/wis913/lum-tec%20studio%20shots/M42lumeweb.jpg

lo0m
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
they look really nice.. I like watches but also avoid expensive ones, as I'm kinda watch destroyer...

SgtD
02-04-2010, 03:09 AM
start talking bubba.

right now I have this:
http://lum-tec.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/M17web.17223205_std.jpg
http://lum-tec.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/M17lumeweb.17223332_std.jpg

it's got Rare twin barrel 21 jewel vintage automatic winding Soviet military movement. Slava 2427. it's a solidly awesome watch.

their new stuff is coming out soon and I really want:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/wis913/lum-tec%20studio%20shots/M42web.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/wis913/lum-tec%20studio%20shots/M42lumeweb.jpg

Yeah, I like the M42 better. I'm not too familiar with this brand though, I thought they had swiss movement.
The clasp, the strap and everything else is the same right? What I don't like about the M42 is there's no calendar window on it.
Does it have to be an automatic?
For this much I'd buy something totally different, then again, these watches are not my style.

D1988
02-04-2010, 03:42 AM
This is like that time we spoke about Swatches, Dusty bragged about having 4 X-Rated still in the OG packaging which got me excited. Then he never posted the pictures to make me even more jealous.......

xsecx
02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
This is like that time we spoke about Swatches, Dusty bragged about having 4 X-Rated still in the OG packaging which got me excited. Then he never posted the pictures to make me even more jealous.......

oh I still have those too. but I'm down to 3 since one broke.

xsecx
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I like the M42 better. I'm not too familiar with this brand though, I thought they had swiss movement.
The clasp, the strap and everything else is the same right? What I don't like about the M42 is there's no calendar window on it.
Does it have to be an automatic?
For this much I'd buy something totally different, then again, these watches are not my style.

some do. the new ones do. the one I have now has soviet movement. There's 3 straps. One leather, one rubber and a bracelet. I've got the bracelet on it now. The m17 is absolutely awesome and the pictures doesn't do it justice. They make a bunch that aren't automatic, I just prefer them. These watches are so much nicer than the tags and omega's I've seen and considerably less.

SgtD
02-04-2010, 09:14 AM
some do. the new ones do. the one I have now has soviet movement. There's 3 straps. One leather, one rubber and a bracelet. I've got the bracelet on it now. The m17 is absolutely awesome and the pictures doesn't do it justice. They make a bunch that aren't automatic, I just prefer them. These watches are so much nicer than the tags and omega's I've seen and considerably less.
yeah, i'm not feeling the vibe. i'd part with the omegas.
the m42 comes with the same bracelet/straps as the m17 though, right? so it's only the face that's changed and the pointers.
In that pricerange i would go with a Tissot for sure.
automatics don't keep time that well though, and you're supposed to service it every 3-5 years no matter what. quartz-s are so much easier to handle.
my dreamwatch is an omega seamaster, but i still can't decide if i wanted to get an automatic or not. Not like i was close to buying one, i'm fine with my Invicta.

xsecx
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah, i'm not feeling the vibe. i'd part with the omegas.
the m42 comes with the same bracelet/straps as the m17 though, right? so it's only the face that's changed and the pointers.
In that pricerange i would go with a Tissot for sure.
automatics don't keep time that well though, and you're supposed to service it every 3-5 years no matter what. quartz-s are so much easier to handle.
my dreamwatch is an omega seamaster, but i still can't decide if i wanted to get an automatic or not. Not like i was close to buying one, i'm fine with my Invicta.

these actually keep really good time. What makes you prefer tissot over the lum-tec?
and based on what I've read, the lum-tec's are cheap due to being new, not because of design or parts. The fact that they're a small company, with limited runs and a unique product makes me really like the company.

and if I had the money I'd just get a rolex. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a watch, no real point in getting an omega.

D1988
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
oh I still have those too. but I'm down to 3 since one broke.

I hope you kept the broken one though?

I traded a broken one for like $50 + 3 TFS What We Know presses to some kid in Canada.

I sold my working one for like £140.

Also, pics! now!

SgtD
02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
these actually keep really good time. What makes you prefer tissot over the lum-tec?
and based on what I've read, the lum-tec's are cheap due to being new, not because of design or parts. The fact that they're a small company, with limited runs and a unique product makes me really like the company.

and if I had the money I'd just get a rolex. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a watch, no real point in getting an omega.
you still have to take any automatic watch for service every 3-5 years though to keep it that way.
I prefer Tissot because of the design and the prestige. Lum-Tec is great though.
You see, i like the seamaster better than the submariner! that's all, plus at that pricerange it wouldn't matter if you got a rolex or an omega.

Lifestyle_X
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Those watches are super ! Are those limited ? Too bad they cost like 400 euros..

straightXed
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
On second thoughts, this thread shows i'm not really into watches at all!!!

xsecx
02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
you still have to take any automatic watch for service every 3-5 years though to keep it that way.
I prefer Tissot because of the design and the prestige. Lum-Tec is great though.
You see, i like the seamaster better than the submariner! that's all, plus at that pricerange it wouldn't matter if you got a rolex or an omega.

that's true of just about every watch though. Taking something in for service twice a decade is really nothing.

Have you looked at the full product ranges of the lum-tec stuff? And have you seen the lum stuff in person? For a company that is getting a lot of support with watch people and the fact that everything is limited I think tissot isn't that prestigious in comparison to the lum tec's.

Omega's still a lot cheaper than a rolex and doesn't hold it's value as well.

xsecx
02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Those watches are super ! Are those limited ? Too bad they cost like 400 euros..

yeah but a good watch will last you the rest of your life.

SgtD
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
that's true of just about every watch though. Taking something in for service twice a decade is really nothing.

yep

Have you looked at the full product ranges of the lum-tec stuff? And have you seen the lum stuff in person? For a company that is getting a lot of support with watch people and the fact that everything is limited I think tissot isn't that prestigious in comparison to the lum tec's.
yeah, i still couldn't find one that i really liked. I haven't seen them in person though. Prestige comes with age thought too, and the company being well known or not. If i told anybody Tissot, they would know what i was talking about mostly, as for lum-tec, not so sure about that! Anyway, it's a stupid thing to choose a watch for. I love Tissot's designs though, almost as much as I love diver watches

Omega's still a lot cheaper than a rolex and doesn't hold it's value as well.
that's true, but i can't help it. I hate the coin bezels on Rolexes and James Bond had an Omega! They are more durable than a Rolex is though, as far as I know, and definitely keep better time and the new Rolex submariners have different movements now.

xsecx
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
yeah, i still couldn't find one that i really liked. I haven't seen them in person though. Prestige comes with age thought too, and the company being well known or not. If i told anybody Tissot, they would know what i was talking about mostly, as for lum-tec, not so sure about that! Anyway, it's a stupid thing to choose a watch for. I love Tissot's designs though, almost as much as I love diver watches

not really. they're not really a known brand here. It may be a europe vs america thing though. I like supporting small business. I like supporting people who are doing something different and really care about what they're doing. Plus the watch I have is awesome and I'm really looking forward into getting more from them.

that's true, but i can't help it. I hate the coin bezels on Rolexes and James Bond had an Omega! They are more durable than a Rolex is though, as far as I know, and definitely keep better time and the new Rolex submariners have different movements now.

new jack james bond. not classic bond. At this point I honestly couldn't see getting one of either even if I had the money to burn.

SgtD
02-05-2010, 01:38 AM
not really. they're not really a known brand here. It may be a europe vs america thing though. I like supporting small business. I like supporting people who are doing something different and really care about what they're doing. Plus the watch I have is awesome and I'm really looking forward into getting more from them.

new jack james bond. not classic bond. At this point I honestly couldn't see getting one of either even if I had the money to burn.
Tissot is well known around here for sure.
i'm only going to buy a new watch if my Invicta gives out. given how sturdy it is, that day might not come in this decade, and I really hope it doesn't. If i'm going to buy a new watch after this one, it'll be a better one. I wanna own a seamaster one day.