PDA

View Full Version : myths about atheists

xsecx
02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/spirited_atheist/2010/02/atheists_--_naughty_and_nice_--_should_define_themselves.html#more

This was actually a really well thought out article and the comments are really telling. Last night I was talking to Vivien about this. Most christians in america have no problem/give no thought to sharing their religion with you. People will put bible versus in facebook statuses or in email signatures. They'll automatically assume you're christian. Most are also really threatened/offended when they find out you're an atheist. This is primarily the reason I don't talk about my beliefs at work, even though others do. Mostly because I know it'll get ugly, not end well and will end up with people being bent out of shape about it.

straightXed
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/spirited_atheist/2010/02/atheists_--_naughty_and_nice_--_should_define_themselves.html#more

This was actually a really well thought out article and the comments are really telling. Last night I was talking to Vivien about this. Most christians in america have no problem/give no thought to sharing their religion with you. People will put bible versus in facebook statuses or in email signatures. They'll automatically assume you're christian. Most are also really threatened/offended when they find out you're an atheist. This is primarily the reason I don't talk about my beliefs at work, even though others do. Mostly because I know it'll get ugly, not end well and will end up with people being bent out of shape about it.

This is something i have noticed too although it seems to appear much more over there. I sometimes keep my beliefs to myself for those reasons but sometimes i just have to say what i think and it might be wrong of me but i do sometimes enjoy saying what i think and believe. Then again, how is it wrong to enjoy saying what i believe in response to what someone else believes.

annex_punk
02-26-2010, 01:22 AM
i sorta see where the 2 of you are coming from, but i find i dont always make public my religious or political beliefs as not to offend the other parties involved. i dont really care how people perceive me, but i feel bad when, a christian for instance, says some thing like, "how was church yesterday?" and i respond with something like; "christianity was invented by the romans to quell civil unrest" or "you know jesus never actually existed right? not even as a mortal human being". the look on there faces is sometimes too much. so i keep quiet. its sort of like if you had to tell someone they have a terminal illness and they dont know yet. the person deserves to know, but it will most likely crush them.
anyways, if you have some time, heres a really good film on politics and religion, very interesting and thought provoking;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197#

xCrucialDudex
04-06-2011, 05:00 AM
i sorta see where the 2 of you are coming from, but i find i dont always make public my religious or political beliefs as not to offend the other parties involved. i dont really care how people perceive me, but i feel bad when, a christian for instance, says some thing like, "how was church yesterday?" and i respond with something like; "christianity was invented by the romans to quell civil unrest" or "you know jesus never actually existed right? not even as a mortal human being". the look on there faces is sometimes too much. so i keep quiet. its sort of like if you had to tell someone they have a terminal illness and they dont know yet. the person deserves to know, but it will most likely crush them.
anyways, if you have some time, heres a really good film on politics and religion, very interesting and thought provoking;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197#

And that is a great problem with people. We need to be raising people throughout the world to accept that a change, a profound change of their lives, views and ideas they may have is possible, and will most likely happen many times in the course of their lives. That nothing is absolute and constant, and that logical inquiry should be embraced, not frightened.

xKAMRONx
04-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm deist, but a shitload of my friends are atheist. I just can't look at things like DNA and say there isn't a God. Deism is WAY different than Christianity, though.

xsecx
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm deist, but a shitload of my friends are atheist. I just can't look at things like DNA and say there isn't a God. Deism is WAY different than Christianity, though.

what about dna makes you think that it exists because of a god?