PDA

View Full Version : question

haighy15
01-14-2010, 03:29 AM
im new to straightedge, but i have never drank, smoked or done drugs, so i feel it was a good choice for me

however, i was wondering, to become a proper straightedge does that mean i can no longer drink tea and coffee because it contains the recreational drug caffine? also, someone told me that chocolate has a recreational drug called theobromine init, does this also mean that chocolate is against straightedge?

thanks for your help,
jacob

straightXed
01-14-2010, 08:11 AM
im new to straightedge, but i have never drank, smoked or done drugs, so i feel it was a good choice for me

however, i was wondering, to become a proper straightedge does that mean i can no longer drink tea and coffee because it contains the recreational drug caffine? also, someone told me that chocolate has a recreational drug called theobromine init, does this also mean that chocolate is against straightedge?

thanks for your help,
jacob

Have you looked into how these drugs effect you and then measured that up against your reasons and ideas for not doing drugs? I ask this because it would be an awful shame to think you would stop doing something to simply fit the constraints of a label...i think it would be much more positive for you to decide where you stand on using those drugs/products before going any further. Hope that helps a little.

haighy15
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Have you looked into how these drugs effect you and then measured that up against your reasons and ideas for not doing drugs? I ask this because it would be an awful shame to think you would stop doing something to simply fit the constraints of a label...i think it would be much more positive for you to decide where you stand on using those drugs/products before going any further. Hope that helps a little.

ok, thanks for that. ive looked into it. i am not going to change, but i think im going to cut down.
thanks anyway

straightXed
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
ok, thanks for that. ive looked into it. i am not going to change, but i think im going to cut down.
thanks anyway

So out of interest what was the basis for your decision? For example, what made you feel caffeine was fine to continue using in relation to other drugs you are against using?

haighy15
01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
So out of interest what was the basis for your decision? For example, what made you feel caffeine was fine to continue using in relation to other drugs you are against using?

its personal, but my grandad became an alcoholic when my grandma died, he ended up dieing from it. i have never touched a drop and never will. but he told me to drink tea and coffee because it would keep me away from alcohol. (at the time, i was aware of caffiene in coffee, but not tea. i didn't know what it could do to the body though) thats why i feel that it is fine to take, because i dont want to even think about touching alcohol after what it did to him. i know what caffiene does to the body, but it keeps me sober and alive. i guess in a way, you can say that i drink coffee and tea because if i dont, i might get attracted to alcohol (which i know i wont, but theres always the doubt after what my grandad said) and end up dead.

xGagex17
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
its personal, but my grandad became an alcoholic when my grandma died, he ended up dieing from it. i have never touched a drop and never will. but he told me to drink tea and coffee because it would keep me away from alcohol. (at the time, i was aware of caffiene in coffee, but not tea. i didn't know what it could do to the body though) thats why i feel that it is fine to take, because i dont want to even think about touching alcohol after what it did to him. i know what caffiene does to the body, but it keeps me sober and alive. i guess in a way, you can say that i drink coffee and tea because if i dont, i might get attracted to alcohol (which i know i wont, but theres always the doubt after what my grandad said) and end up dead.

I believe that is a good choice i read through this conversation. I did the same I cut down to not drinking anything with caffeine in it, I do on occasion enjoy eating chocolate, I don't honestly believe that you should turn from those things. Straight Edge now and days has turned away from the original ways and that was that you shouldn't consider yourself breaking for drinking something with caffeine it was believe that it should be done in moderation which is the choice you made, which was cutting back on it.

straightXed
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Do you really believe the reason you dont drink alcohol is because you drink coffee?

CarlaRant
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi,

This was a hard thing for me to give up when I became straightedge-caffeine. I was literally drinking a minimum of 6 Dr Peppers a day. When I quit, it was a shock to my system (but not as much as the caffeine and sugar was doing to my central nervous system) and I shook and had horrible migraines as part of the withdrawl. In the end, it was worth it. When I was younger, I would even avoid chocolate because of the small amount of caffeine in it.

I haven't looked into the chocolate properties recently, but have fallen into the habit of eating dark, vegan chocolate around the holidays.