PDA

View Full Version : Decaf Tea

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
So when a tea has been pronounced decaf. it has had chemicals added to it to take away the caffeine effect.... but isnt the caffeine still there....or am i wrong on this?

xvunderx
01-07-2004, 07:37 AM
a/ it's normaly (at least with loose leafe tea) had the caffine kinda "flushed" out with water, no chemicals involved. Also you can apparently DIY Decaf your teas by brewing it for about 30secs, then pouring out that water and starting again with the same leaves and new water. Apparently about 85% of the caffine comes out in the first 30 secs of the brewing process.

b/ I should imagine there would be maybe some trace caffine in decaf tea, mucch the same as in the case of decaf coffee.

c/ There are lots of compleatly caffine free teas, most herbal teas are caffine free, Rooibos or red bush tea is 100% caffine free, it tastes a bit different, and can be drunk plain, or with milk just like regular tea, it's also super healthy and has about 30 times more antioxidents in it than green tea. White tea (i think this might only apply to loose leaf white) is caffine free, or maybe containes about as much as a decaf black tea.

One of personal favourites is rooibos tropical tea and chysanthemum flowers, thats a nice cup of tea!

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Thank you.....

xvunderx
01-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
Thank you.....

No problem, any excuse to talk about tea!

xDOUGxDIGGLERx
01-08-2004, 01:01 PM
herbal teas go down a treat, i think they taste nicer too