PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NYC.

staysober
12-02-2009, 10:08 AM
My name is Jacqueline and I'm 13,soon to be 14. Recently I've discovered this whole world of straight edge kids and the local hardcore scene. I don't know anyone who has any interest in this so I suppose this is a good online outlet. I haven't yet made the commitment to be edge and stay drug and alcohol free. I take it super seriously and don't want to slip up if I do decide to do it. I have no one to talk about my views or my opinions on alcohol and drug use. My friends think its cool to show up to school high out of their minds and my parents dont want me listening to hardcore music. So I just want some advice from people who have been edge for a while. I don't want to live my whole life feeling like I missed out on something. Yet I don't want to put those poisons in my body.

On a less serious note my whole life is music, photography, and... school. So there we go. ;D

xsecx
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
My name is Jacqueline and I'm 13,soon to be 14. Recently I've discovered this whole world of straight edge kids and the local hardcore scene. I don't know anyone who has any interest in this so I suppose this is a good online outlet. I haven't yet made the commitment to be edge and stay drug and alcohol free. I take it super seriously and don't want to slip up if I do decide to do it. I have no one to talk about my views or my opinions on alcohol and drug use. My friends think its cool to show up to school high out of their minds and my parents dont want me listening to hardcore music. So I just want some advice from people who have been edge for a while. I don't want to live my whole life feeling like I missed out on something. Yet I don't want to put those poisons in my body.

On a less serious note my whole life is music, photography, and... school. So there we go. ;D

why don't your folks want you listening to hardcore?

staysober
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
why don't your folks want you listening to hardcore?

I don't even know. I try to explain things to them but they just think its crap. I'm rarely allowed to go to shows too.

SgtD
12-02-2009, 03:04 PM

hi! hope you'll enjoy your stay.

My parents hated the music i listened to, they still don't get it , but they are better off because i don't live at home anymore. they just think it's angry people shouting and making loud noise. they kinda got used to it, they had 10 years to do so. haha
i'm glad you've found this site, it's a good way to connect.

staysober
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
hi! hope you'll enjoy your stay.

My parents hated the music i listened to, they still don't get it , but they are better off because i don't live at home anymore. they just think it's angry people shouting and making loud noise. they kinda got used to it, they had 10 years to do so. haha
i'm glad you've found this site, it's a good way to connect.

Thanks ;)

If I were only so lucky!
Four years and I'm out of this place.

CarlaRant
12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Jacqueline. I'm so happy that you found this online forum; there is a lot of diversity here. There are also many "old-timers" in edge. In fact, I've been straightedge as long as you've been alive, which really freaks me out. :)

Regarding your question about "missing out" on experiences, I think many people feel this way at one time or another. Please take it from someone who has been there and done that, it's not worth it. The choices that you make as a young person can affect the rest of your life. Particularly with the immediate access to technology, you need to be careful. Employers and college administrators look at the online history of applicants nowadays. One picture posted online with you in a vulnerable (or stupid) position can haunt you for the rest of your life.

I'm sad to hear about your friends making these poor choices, especially at school. However, I am not surprise. I am a high school teacher and have caught some of my students coming to class under the influence. I know that they are young and easily influenced by friends, but it's a grave, slippery-slope mistake.

Hope you stick around and ask a lot of questions.

xGriffox
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey, there is a pretty decent hardcore/punk scene in NYC right now so be sure to check out The Stolen Sleeves Collective (http://www.myspace.com/thestolensleevescollective) as well as ABC No Rio (http://www.abcnorio.org/pcgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=category&website=default&category_id=103&set=1&session=3d233b47563f5f8f) for shows if you can make it out to them.

There are a lot of diverse folks who are straight edge in NYC and shows are a great place to get to know folks. Hopefully your parents will lighten up and allow you to explore and experience the punk side of the city!

staysober
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Jacqueline. I'm so happy that you found this online forum; there are a lot of diversity here. There are also many "old-timers" in edge. In fact, I've been straightedge as long as you've been alive, which really freaks me out. :)

Regarding your question about "missing out" on experiences, I think many people feel this way at one time or another. Please take it from someone who has been there and done that, it's not worth it. The choices that you make as a young person can affect the rest of your life. Particularly with the immediate access to technology, you need to be careful. Employers and college administrators look at the online history of applicants nowadays. One picture posted online with you in a vulnerable (or stupid) position can haunt you for the rest of your life.

I'm sad to hear about your friends making these poor choices, especially at school. However, I am not surprise. I am a high school teacher and have caught some of my students coming to class under the influence. I know that they are young and easily influenced by friends, but it's a grave, slippery-slope mistake.

Hope you stick around and ask a lot of questions.
Thank you :D

Yeah, I find that most kids my age don't think about how their future will be affected by the decisions they make now.
I barely know anyone who's in to hardcore music. So I love going to shows.
Being surrounded by people, good people, who accept you is always great.

staysober
12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey, there is a pretty decent hardcore/punk scene in NYC right now so be sure to check out The Stolen Sleeves Collective (http://www.myspace.com/thestolensleevescollective) as well as ABC No Rio (http://www.abcnorio.org/pcgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=category&website=default&category_id=103&set=1&session=3d233b47563f5f8f) for shows if you can make it out to them.

There are a lot of diverse folks who are straight edge in NYC and shows are a great place to get to know folks. Hopefully your parents will lighten up and allow you to explore and experience the punk side of the city!

Oh wow.Thanks.;D
I actually asked them about going to a few shows and they will "consider" it. I recently saw this Staten Island band He Among Us. They're getting pretty big. But I'll totally try to look in to it. It'd be nice to meet some new people at different shows.