PDA

View Full Version : Louis Theroux - Westboro Baptist Church

SgtD
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
i wish i had the time to watch this. i'm sharing it for everybody's viewing pleasure, and check it out later. only saw the first two minutes, it was mindblowing.

http://vodpod.com/watch/453706-louis-theroux-westboro-baptist-church

straightXed
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
i wish i had the time to watch this. i'm sharing it for everybody's viewing pleasure, and check it out later. only saw the first two minutes, it was mindblowing.

http://vodpod.com/watch/453706-louis-theroux-westboro-baptist-church

Louis theroux is cool, i have seen this show a few years back. He does some other good ones. It certainly great to watch how these ignorant condemn themselves everytime they open their mouths to speak to louis but ultimately frightening that these people exist.

funwithpinetrees
11-27-2009, 08:41 PM
i want to give them a hug

CarlaRant
11-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I watched this video in its entirety this morning. Theroux asked a very poignant question to the matriarch of this church, "Do you think you're involved in a cult?" The family evades the question and other questions, dismissing them as base. Yet, several of the family members have been shunned for asking the same questions and leaving the church.

The 21-year-old daughter reveals so much about the church by having to ask permission to get coffee with Theroux and his crew, only to be refused. She also states that her generation will not be allowed to marry because the world is in its end times, so such things would be frivilous.

I also found it interesting that there was another (Libertarian) documentary filmmaker that converted to this church years ago. He is a master of circumlocation; as are most religious zealots.

I am not surprised these people exist. The world holds all sorts of racist, homophobic, sexist, Holocaust-denying, and stupid people.

funwithpinetrees
11-30-2009, 01:32 AM
This groups comes up frequently in various groups of people. To me, however they are not an issue, or anything that is really important. The WBC is a group that is composed of about 70 people who are are in this cultish group. I really feel bad for them, I want o help them escape.

One thing that is just unconscionable is this new Ugandan law which where homosexuality is punishable by death. This to me is really terrible, I don't know how people are not protesting this. There are about 6 countries or something where this is true, and in many other countries people can go to jail for a bit.

Yo that is not right. It is almost genocidal. It certainly is the institutional destruction and persecution of a group of people.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/29/uganda-death-sentence-gay-sex

SgtD
11-30-2009, 07:35 AM
i finally had the time to watch this. totally mindblowing. i guess it showed how ignorance can be taught. I felt disgusted. These people don't even know what they are talking about. for example the meaning of adultery. I have to admit it though, I laughed really hard at this conversation:
Louise looking at a 'fags eat poo' sign asking:
- where does the bible say that?
- Fags eat feces? THAT'S A FACT, HUN!

One thing that is just unconscionable is this new Ugandan law which where homosexuality is punishable by death. This to me is really terrible, I don't know how people are not protesting this. There are about 6 countries or something where this is true, and in many other countries people can go to jail for a bit.

Yo that is not right. It is almost genocidal. It certainly is the institutional destruction and persecution of a group of people.

it seems like the vast majority of their society supports this, at least that was the impression the article gave me. i wouldn't want to live in a country like that, that's for sure...

xsecx
11-30-2009, 10:26 AM
This groups comes up frequently in various groups of people. To me, however they are not an issue, or anything that is really important. The WBC is a group that is composed of about 70 people who are are in this cultish group. I really feel bad for them, I want o help them escape.

they're just following the bible though. I mean, how as a christian can you really criticize them for simply following your gods word? god was all about killing gays.

funwithpinetrees
12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
so i just read something interesting about Fred Phelps. His mother died of throat cancer when he was five, he aunt died in a car accident also when he was young.
That is interesting