PDA

View Full Version : Who's a gamer?

MrMcKeigue
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
You gonna give Left 4 Dead 2 a shot? It's definitely just the first game with added content, but I'm a sucker for zombie killing.

D1988
11-05-2009, 02:48 AM
I am. But I won't be getting Left 4 Dead 2, and I don't think I will be getting Modern Warfare 2 now either even though 2 weeks ago I was really looking forward to it.

Lifestyle_X
11-05-2009, 06:19 AM
I think I might pre-purchase L4D2

rodrigo
11-05-2009, 06:22 AM
i play mario kart on the ds, does that count?

Lifestyle_X
11-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Sure ! Any game is good. But rodrigo, you really should check out some Valve games !

rodrigo
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Sure ! Any game is good. But rodrigo, you really should check out some Valve games !

for the ds?

Lifestyle_X
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
That black (or white) box right next to your computer screen, the thing that's called a computer. We should play it sometimes ! Just had a blast on a game of versus with 7 other mates !

rodrigo
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
That black (or white) box right next to your computer screen, the thing that's called a computer. We should play it sometimes ! Just had a blast on a game of versus with 7 other mates !

i thought you needed a good machine to run those spiffy new games from these days and age

Lifestyle_X
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
L4D is one year old, how old is your computer ? and hey, you don't HAVE to play it on max settings

rodrigo
11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
L4D is one year old, how old is your computer ? and hey, you don't HAVE to play it on max settings
i couldnt run ultimate spiderman properly, and that game was from 5 years ago

Lifestyle_X
11-06-2009, 04:05 AM
What about a new computer ?

lo0m
11-06-2009, 05:51 AM
not a pc gamer much, but from time to time I play some old school DOS classics (now the mystery of my nickname is revealed :-) )

MrMcKeigue
11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
What about XBox?

rodrigo
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
What about a new computer ?

What about XBox?

what about you getting a ds? or a wii!

kid_ugly
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
i love valve and want l4d2 but my comp can barely run the demo and my video card isn't even supported so theres no point in me pre-ordering it even tho i want Bills Hat for TF2

Lifestyle_X
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
what about you getting a ds? or a wii!

You can't play L4D on a DS.

i love valve and want l4d2 but my comp can barely run the demo and my video card isn't even supported so theres no point in me pre-ordering it even tho i want Bills Hat for TF2

Bills Hat for TF2 ? Explain !

rodrigo
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
You can't play L4D on a DS.

but you can play mario kart and other games

Lifestyle_X
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
That's cool, but not over the internet I suppose ? I've got a PSP btw so I think I won't buy a DS. It's way cooler to shoot some zombies (or kill some survivors) in a game of L4D with your mates, go get a new pc, you'll need one anyway !

straightXed
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
That's cool, but not over the internet I suppose ?

wii and ds both have online capabilities

Lifestyle_X
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
wii and ds both have online capabilities

a PSP also has online capabilities but that doesn't mean you can play games over the internet.

straightXed
11-07-2009, 04:28 AM
a PSP also has online capabilities but that doesn't mean you can play games over the internet.

I swore PSP owners could play with other users online. Just as you can with wii and ds.

Lifestyle_X
11-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Never heard of it. I didn't know you could play online with the DS, I knew you could play on WLAN but... hey still, you can't play L4D !

straightXed
11-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Never heard of it. I didn't know you could play online with the DS, I knew you could play on WLAN but... hey still, you can't play L4D !

You could be right about the ds but i am sure i heard a friend talking about how he could use PSP's to game online...i know there are a multitude of things you can get PSP's to do. But hey, you still can't play mario kart!

straightXed
11-07-2009, 08:19 AM
You could be right about the ds but i am sure i heard a friend talking about how he could use PSP's to game online...i know there are a multitude of things you can get PSP's to do. But hey, you still can't play mario kart!

I just checked though and apparently i am right about the ds and the psp. i personally like games consoles for games, PC gaming doesn't grab my attention much nowadays.

rodrigo
11-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I just checked though and apparently i am right about the ds and the psp. i personally like games consoles for games, PC gaming doesn't grab my attention much nowadays.

we should play mario kart if you get a wii

straightXed
11-07-2009, 08:34 AM

I have one but lindsey has it because she needed to help animals catch butterflies and do dumb stuff.

rodrigo
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
i have one but lindsey has it because she needed to help animals catch butterflies and do dumb stuff.

lindsey!!!!!!

MrMcKeigue
11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I have Mario Kart. Lol

Lifestyle_X
11-07-2009, 12:05 PM

I actually don't wanna play Mario Kart if I have L4D on my pc.

Yeah I read something this afternoon on wiki about the DS and a function to play some online games, something about Nintendo hosting the servers for it.
About the PSP and playing online, is that for the new PSP Go or also for the 3000 ?

No no no ! You are getting it wrong, we all need to play L4D on a pc !

straightXed
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I actually don't wanna play Mario Kart if I have L4D on my pc.

i think Mario kart will be more fun, i'll leave my computer for the serious stuff!

Yeah I read something this afternoon on wiki about the DS and a function to play some online games, something about Nintendo hosting the servers for it.
About the PSP and playing online, is that for the new PSP Go or also for the 3000 ?

All PSP's as far as i am aware.

No no no ! You are getting it wrong, we all need to play L4D on a pc !

The wii idea seems more fun! Everyone should get a wii and mario kart and have a sxe.com championship!

Lifestyle_X
11-07-2009, 02:34 PM
i think Mario kart will be more fun, i'll leave my computer for the serious stuff!

All PSP's as far as i am aware.

The wii idea seems more fun! Everyone should get a wii and mario kart and have a sxe.com championship!

#1: Maybe for a short time, but overall L4D will be more fun. Ever played the game btw ?

#2: I know you can go online with it, browse the internet, listen to internet radio, ... but I never knew you can go online with a game and play against other ppl.

#3: Yes it seems like fun ! But still, I wanna play L4D with you guys too !

straightXed
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
#1: Maybe for a short time, but overall L4D will be more fun. Ever played the game btw ?

Dude, mario kart has been fun to play since the early 90's and it has major staying power...the first installment is still great to play today so i think you have to rethink your assertion of the longevity of the game.

#2: I know you can go online with it, browse the internet, listen to internet radio, ... but I never knew you can go online with a game and play against other ppl.

well apparently theres quite a few games but not much server support...at least in the EU

#3: Yes it seems like fun ! But still, I wanna play L4D with you guys too !

Buy me a new computer then....

Lifestyle_X
11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Dude, mario kart has been fun to play since the early 90's and it has major staying power...the first installment is still great to play today so i think you have to rethink your assertion of the longevity of the game.

I mean I can't play Mario Kart for 3 hours in a row but it's obviously a big hit. And, played L4D ?

well apparently theres quite a few games but not much server support...at least in the EU

Can you link me a list or something ? Maybe I have one of those games.

straightXed
11-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I mean I can't play Mario Kart for 3 hours in a row but it's obviously a big hit. And, played L4D ?

we used to play the original mario kart for hours on end, that and MKII and SFII...good times.

Can you link me a list or something ? Maybe I have one of those games.

www.google.com there you go! I suggest searching for a list of psp online games or something similar!

rodrigo
11-08-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm Rodrigo and I support this message.

Lifestyle_X
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm Rodrigo and I support this message.

I guess you won't support the L4D idea ?

rodrigo
11-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I guess you won't support the L4D idea ?

you haven't said anything about L4D except that we should buy a new computer and get the game.

Lifestyle_X
11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
you haven't said anything about L4D except that we should buy a new computer and get the game.

We should all play it together, most fun would be in a game of versus, 4 survivors vs 4 infected ! You can play as Zoey.

rodrigo
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
We should all play it together, most fun would be in a game of versus, 4 survivors vs 4 infected ! You can play as Zoey.

that doesnt sound as fun as a sxe.com mario kart championship!

straightXed
11-09-2009, 07:48 AM
that doesnt sound as fun as a sxe.com mario kart championship!

It would be so awesome if this happened!

D1988
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
The L4D thing sounds terrible seeing as the game rules until you have played it for 2 hours and then realise it's the same shit over and over again. No variety.

xsecx
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
The L4D thing sounds terrible seeing as the game rules until you have played it for 2 hours and then realise it's the same shit over and over again. No variety.

this is why everyone should just get xbox's and modern warfare 2.

D1988
11-10-2009, 03:18 AM

Forza Motorsport 3 >

I was going to get MW2 for PC but Infinity Ward can stick that game up their ass.

Lifestyle_X
11-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Infected is fun as hell !

If I get an xbox it's only for Tony Hawk Ride and Skate.

xsecx
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Forza Motorsport 3 >

I was going to get MW2 for PC but Infinity Ward can stick that game up their ass.

why, what'd they do to you this time?

D1988
11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
why, what'd they do to you this time?

Ported the game from consoles to PC.

No dedicated servers.

No mods.

Max players is 9v9.

Fuck them.

xsecx
11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Ported the game from consoles to PC.

No dedicated servers.

No mods.

Max players is 9v9.

Fuck them.

pc gaming is dying for everything except mmo's. you may want to start coming to terms with it, since valve, who you also have a problem with, are pretty much the only ones committed to it. So you're pissed that they're putting out the same product across all platforms and not treating pc's special?

D1988
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
pc gaming is dying for everything except mmo's. you may want to start coming to terms with it, since valve, who you also have a problem with, are pretty much the only ones committed to it. So you're pissed that they're putting out the same product across all platforms and not treating pc's special?

PC gaming is dying? Do you have anything to show this?

Gaming as whole is growing and is absolutely massive. In my opinion it seems PC gaming is just as big as ever, but because online console gaming is so huge these days, PC gaming is classed as a minority or dying when it in fact is growing itself.

xsecx
11-10-2009, 11:37 AM
PC gaming is dying? Do you have anything to show this?

Gaming as whole is growing and is absolutely massive. In my opinion it seems PC gaming is just as big as ever, but because online console gaming is so huge these days, PC gaming is classed as a minority or dying when it in fact is growing itself.

yeah dude. look at the sales numbers. Look at retail space. How much of it is devoted to pc gaming? This is like when the mp3 players came out and people talked about how cd's were the way of the future. The reality is that pc gaming is way smaller than it was 10 years ago and is a shrinking, not expanding market.

D1988
11-11-2009, 05:48 AM
yeah dude. look at the sales numbers. Look at retail space. How much of it is devoted to pc gaming? This is like when the mp3 players came out and people talked about how cd's were the way of the future. The reality is that pc gaming is way smaller than it was 10 years ago and is a shrinking, not expanding market.

Well it sucks. Console gaming blows in comparison but obviously the cheaper, easier and more convinient alternative is going to sell more and I guess kill off proper gaming.

xsecx
11-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Well it sucks. Console gaming blows in comparison but obviously the cheaper, easier and more convinient alternative is going to sell more and I guess kill off proper gaming.

why do you think one is proper gaming over the other? a mouse and a keyboard?

D1988
11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
why do you think one is proper gaming over the other? a mouse and a keyboard?

No, more or less the fact that competitive play was majority PC based so that's where the best players could be found.

Also dedicated servers allow a much more level playing field for serious gamers.

straightXed
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Cheaper, easier and more convenient sound like reasons that is doesn't blow to me...i mean who wants inconvenience and to be skint?

xsecx
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
No, more or less the fact that competitive play was majority PC based so that's where the best players could be found.

Also dedicated servers allow a much more level playing field for serious gamers.

was, now with mlg, it's definitely involving consoles as well.

how do you figure your second statement, when as a rule, consoles are locked down a shitload more and the servers are maintained and monitored by a neutral party?

I get that you like the pc, but I get the impression that you aren't really capable of looking at this objectively.

xsecx
11-15-2009, 09:18 AM
and yeah, mw2 is pretty great.

kid_ugly
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM

but most sales reports never account for steam or other d/l services, and i've read Valve makes a killing when they put their games on sale. plus im pretty sure it's only grown over the past ten years as there wasnt millions of WoW addicts or thousands of casual gamers playing flash based "games" on a place like facebook ten years ago

linsee
11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't understand most of this thread.

xsecx
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
but most sales reports never account for steam or other d/l services, and i've read Valve makes a killing when they put their games on sale. plus im pretty sure it's only grown over the past ten years as there wasnt millions of WoW addicts or thousands of casual gamers playing flash based "games" on a place like facebook ten years ago

wow addicts don't tend to play other games, and even taking all that into account, the pc install base is way way smaller than consoles at this point.

straightXed
11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't understand most of this thread.

Basically, PC gaming used to be the way to go for a reason but consoles have bridged many gaps so that those reasons have become minimal. The current state of the gaming world reflects this in many ways. The thread seems to be people disputing that but in a non convincing way.

kid_ugly
11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
the pc install base is way way smaller than consoles at this point.

research done by this guy who works at Intel estimates that there's over 100 million regular pc gamers but he does notes that tracking the number of pc gamers is a total crapshoot cuz its hard to define

heres the link
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/03/just-how-many-pc-gamers-are-there

and microsoft claims they have 30million 360s sold (20million on xbox live). im pretty sure there's less ps3's sold and a boat load of more Wii's sold so not exactly "way way smaller"

xsecx
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
research done by this guy who works at Intel estimates that there's over 100 million regular pc gamers but he does notes that tracking the number of pc gamers is a total crapshoot cuz its hard to define

heres the link
http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/03/just-how-many-pc-gamers-are-there

and microsoft claims they have 30million 360s sold (20million on xbox live). im pretty sure there's less ps3's sold and a boat load of more Wii's sold so not exactly "way way smaller"

dude's basing his numbers on shit like video cards. That's not accurate or reliable. I have a high end pc that my wife uses for graphic design and I have a high end laptop that I use for work. Neither are used for gaming. The only reliable measure would be game sales, and those numbers speak for themselves

dude is assuming 100 million units of pc games sold world wide a year. There's 12 million consoles games sold a week.

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php

Basically that article is bullshit, but it's to be expecting, intel isn't exactly an unbiased group.

El Moro
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Anyone play the Tekken series?

Slapshot666
01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
My favorite video games are probably Doom, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, Myth, Lode Runner, and Ikaruga. It annoys me the way people associate this form of entertainment with mind-rotting button-mashing. They're actually quite cerebral in approach: A basic concept, but difficult to master. There's a lot of strategy and quick thinking involved. My favorite kinds of games are arcade games really, but with varying layouts/structures throughout the levels. Those are my kind of games. None of this over-socialized surrogate reality bullshit (World of Warcraft, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Maple Story, etc).

MrMcKeigue
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I return to find that this topic is somehow still active!

Anyway, I definitely prefer PC shooters because you can whip your mouse around for headshots and DLC is cake... not to mention mods and other modifiable content. Consoles are good I guess for someone is satisfied with just the game. One advantage would be that you don't have to fuck with the installation.