PDA

View Full Version : So what did you do for this Halloween to reflect that you're celebrating?

xCrucialDudex
10-31-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm not really into this holiday but I have a friend that is so pumped for it he infected me with his passion. He and I made some changes to our В Контакте profiles today (it's a social networking web-site, much like Facebook, that is popular in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and other Russian speaking countries).

I've had this picture and status (see below) for over two month:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/999/pixelatedsmiley.jpg

My status line was: Single and disease free.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of making a screenshot before I updated my profile but here's a SpeedDial thumbnail of the page before the update that remained in cache (lower left corner):

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1151/defaulthalloween.png

And here's the current look of my profile (I switched language to English so it would look more friendly for you guys :) ):

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6818/halloweenx.png

I did this myself, of course!

So what did you do special for this day?

linsee
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
My friend that lives a good 9 hour drive away from me came into town with her family, we went went to a party in the neighborhood that she had lived in before they moved, at a friend's house. I got to take her kids trick or treating with her in an amazing area that goes all out for halloween. I have a bunch of photos, but during the party after trick or treating I got a little excited and threw my camera across the room and broke it. There was a DJ van with speakers spanning half a block. I drank apple cider and ate pumpkin squares. We sat around a fire all night telling hilarious stories and watched Halloween. No elaborate plans, but it was a really great time.

rodrigo
11-01-2009, 07:18 PM
me and my friends scared little kids who came to ask for candy acting as if we were drunk and pissed off

JustEmily
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
i taught my mother how to play poker after ditching bottle& booth service at the most 'hip' club in toronto.
not quite festive, but satisfying in its own right.

mouseman004
11-01-2009, 11:33 PM
i taught my mother how to play poker after ditching bottle& booth service at the most 'hip' club in toronto.
not quite festive, but satisfying in its own right.

What club? In my experience there are no hip clubs in toronto, haha.

And I went to a club here in Kingston with a group of friends and I dressed as Shredder. Let me tell you how hard it is to manouevre through a crowded club wearing a costume covered in spikes!

xGriffox
11-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Played a bunch of Youth of Today, Minor Threat, Cro-Mags, and Misfits covers at a whacky halloween show in brooklyn. Pictures will be posted when i find some.

D1988
11-02-2009, 02:53 AM
What version of Kubuntu are you using? If it is even Kubuntu?

xCrucialDudex
11-02-2009, 06:21 AM
What version of Kubuntu are you using? If it is even Kubuntu?

It's Debian actually and it's KDE3 (I spent truckload of days to figure out that visual style - which I really do like - and that I have been using for a couple of years now. It's just perfect for me but sometimes I, of course, get bored by it and try to find something new to replace it but nothing so far beats this look and feel. I have a lot of nifty stuff like Yakuake (which itself is scripted to run multiple "tabs" and programs in each tab if need be), kpf plug-in you can see, etc etc. In fact, I've been pondering over writing a detailed article on how to reproduce the look and feel of my K desktop environment. Maybe someday I'll do it but I'm not sure if anyone except me needs this so I'm a little hesitant about it.)

xCrucialDudex
11-02-2009, 06:22 AM

And I went to a club here in Kingston with a group of friends and I dressed as Shredder. Let me tell you how hard it is to manouevre through a crowded club wearing a costume covered in spikes!

Oh man you should've posted some pictures! Do it!

xCrucialDudex
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Comic/cartoon characters

Clowns and the like represent whimsy, playfulness and youth, Foster said. People want to leave their serious natures behind on this holiday.

Some cartoon characters have very cultural significance and may even represent archetypal personality types (for example Bugs Bunny as a confident trickster), according to Suler. And some adults wear more sophisticated cartoons, such as anime. The psychological tone of these costumes tend to be more seductive, whimsical or mysterious.

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/146205_costumes.html

D1988
11-02-2009, 07:17 AM
It's Debian actually and it's KDE3 (I spent truckload of days to figure out that visual style - which I really do like - and that I have been using for a couple of years now. It's just perfect for me but sometimes I, of course, get bored by it and try to find something new to replace it but nothing so far beats this look and feel. I have a lot of nifty stuff like Yakuake (which itself is scripted to run multiple "tabs" and programs in each tab if need be), kpf plug-in you can see, etc etc. In fact, I've been pondering over writing a detailed article on how to reproduce the look and feel of my K desktop environment. Maybe someday I'll do it but I'm not sure if anyone except me needs this so I'm a little hesitant about it.)

Good stuff, it looks good man.

Debian is one dist I never spent much time using.

Lifestyle_X
11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
i did nothin' actually

CarlaRant
11-02-2009, 06:04 PM
3 lame parties, then bed.

mouseman004
11-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh man you should've posted some pictures! Do it!

Haha I will. I dont have my own camera so I am waiting on others to upload the pics. But once they do I will put them up for sure.

xCrucialDudex
11-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Good stuff, it looks good man.

Debian is one dist I never spent much time using.

I've been only running it for like maybe half a year. Before I've run mostly non-so-popular distros like Slackware, Source Mage, Arch Linux and some other LiveCD editions of BLIN, System Rescue CD (based on Gentoo which is awesome for doing administrative tasks), etc.

I personally don't like Debian that much although it's fairly good. Arch Linux is what I would readily switch to right this moment if I wasn't reluctant to start over again. Arch is really good and I will switch to it when the right time for this comes.

I strongly dislike *buntu family since I'm somewhat more of a Power User and I like to set up many things manually and to my liking, which often times isn't in line with *buntu maintainers' philosophies.

lo0m
11-03-2009, 07:33 AM
i'm not into the main Ubuntu line also, but I really like some Debian/Ubuntu ideas and am into Crunchbang (ubuntu remix) on my notebook right now(as it's user friendly even for gf)...

didn't try Arch yet but i'm looking forward to...

JustEmily
11-03-2009, 08:47 PM

ohhh man thats so awesome! i tried to go one year as donatello with my pet rat as splinter, but my parents stopped me for fear or losing said rat / it freezing to death.

and i bailed on circa.. have you gone? its a weird enough place without tacky costumes.

mouseman004
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
ohhh man thats so awesome! i tried to go one year as donatello with my pet rat as splinter, but my parents stopped me for fear or losing said rat / it freezing to death.

and i bailed on circa.. have you gone? its a weird enough place without tacky costumes.

Haha you picked the best ninja turtle too! The rat idea was brilliant!

Yeah I have been to Circa. I almost got into a fight in the bathroom because I saw two guys peeing in the same urinal and they didn't appreciate it when I told them it was kinda wierd. And there are far too many floors and rooms and pointless escalators. I can't imagine trying to navigate through that place on Halloween. I lost my friends for a solid hour on a night without costumes.

MrMcKeigue
11-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Took my bro trick-or-treating and visited an old love interest for the first time in months.

I wasn't feeling very adventurous. Next year I probably will, though.

xCrucialDudex
11-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Speaking of costumes this one is amazing:

QIzKK2tVrsQ

Lifestyle_X
11-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Speaking of costumes this one is amazing:

QIzKK2tVrsQ

That's amazing !!!

xCrucialDudex
11-14-2009, 06:59 AM
That's amazing !!!

That's what I said! :D :D :D

Lifestyle_X
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
That's what I said! :D :D :D

Awesome dude !!!

xCrucialDudex
11-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Awesome dude !!!

This is a really cool costume. I wonder if the dude has to get out of it to pee or perhaphs this costume has got some kind of removable part to let the user to get his thing out and do the business. Hm that would open a door to possibility of having sex in transformer costumes too.

Lifestyle_X
11-16-2009, 01:27 AM
It's like in the first transformers movie, the autobot pees on the dog, no ?

xCrucialDudex
11-17-2009, 12:07 AM
It's like in the first transformers movie, the autobot pees on the dog, no ?

Exactly.