PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

rodrigo
10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
so, Chile just won a game and its going to the world cup.

how are you your teams going?

straightXed
10-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Really really well here, we already qualified to go without losing a game, Unbeaten record was broke by the wonderful ukraine yesterday though. Winning streak of 8 games though, pretty damn promising squad at the moment.

Love the world cup, love seeing all these teams play at their best.

mouseman004
10-11-2009, 06:30 AM

From a Canadian men's perspective (women are pretty good actually) I may as well ask "whats the world cup?"

mouseman004
10-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Surprisingly I knew that! One of my housemates is from Chile and she has been following the team and talking about it.

D1988
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Fucking world cup, we don't even want to play in it anyway!!

straightXed
10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Fucking world cup, we don't even want to play in it anyway!!

Get behind another nation, its all fun!

SgtD
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
we fucked up, portugal kicked our asses, we now don't even have a mathematical choice to be there. i can't even tell when was the last time we qualified...hungarian football is poop

mouseman004
10-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Exactly! Once the tournament actually starts, I always pick a team to cheer for.

D1988
10-11-2009, 10:34 AM

I'll be getting behind any team that England is playing haha.

Besides, I am a big football fan and don't need to be supporting a specific team to enjoy the great games that will happen during the tournament. Having my country there would have made things 10000 times better, but oh well, 98 was so long ago :(

rodrigo
10-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Besides, I am a big football fan and don't need to be supporting a specific team to enjoy the great games that will happen during the tournament. Having my country there would have made things 10000 times better, but oh well, 98 was so long ago :(

last time chile classified was for france in 98, we were nowhere as happy as we are now =)

on the last cup i supported spain

rodrigo
10-11-2009, 10:50 AM
we fucked up, portugal kicked our asses, we now don't even have a mathematical choice to be there. i can't even tell when was the last time we qualified...hungarian football is poop

i am hoping portugal doesnt make it through!

straightXed
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Thats just dumb. You are just enforcing the scottish stereotype.

Its a shame Scotland aren't there, how do you feel about a team GB?

rodrigo
10-11-2009, 11:41 AM

that would be crucial!

D1988
10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Thats just dumb. You are just enforcing the scottish stereotype.

Exactly, I was only joking buddy :)

I am not keen on a team GB at all to be honest. I think for example, alot of the younger talented players coming through would have less of a chance to play at International level, I also think the team would primarily be made up of alot of English players as it is really apparent that English clubs are producing by far the better players in Great Britain.

straightXed
10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
that would be crucial!

You know i meant team great brotain not team gorilla biscuits right?

straightXed
10-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Exactly, I was only joking buddy :)

i know but the joke enforces the stereotype

I am not keen on a team GB at all to be honest. I think for example, alot of the younger talented players coming through would have less of a chance to play at International level, I also think the team would primarily be made up of alot of English players as it is really apparent that English clubs are producing by far the better players in Great Britain.

Yeah but thats mainly because england has like 10 times as many people in. you miss the point by worrying that scotland want get to represent itself...it won't be england overshadowing scotland it will just be a team that represents GBR without segregation...hopefully. I mean england is made up of players who were born in or around london so smaller cities don't get a look in! Its not really the point, i mean i think it works great to have team GBR in the Olympics and it gives the nation a much higher level of sporting achivement. But we are stuck with this archaic attitude of england and scotland in football having to compete and be seperate, there is definitely a lot of really unwarrented hatred within football and i think it serves no purpose. I'm also just really happy to see people actively trying to break down those walls. I mean sure you were joking but i have had the discussion with a few families that have married between scottish and english people and you hear some very strange comments. Only the other week i heard about an a scottish lass dating and english chap and the scottish mother said "he is such a nice lad but he's english so i don't think he's the one". It just bewilders me that we still have these thoughts going around. But yeah, as you can tell i am all for embracing scotland and wales into a team GBR.

rodrigo
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
You know i meant team great brotain not team gorilla biscuits right?

ofcourse i knew!

D1988
10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah but thats mainly because england has like 10 times as many people in. you miss the point by worrying that scotland want get to represent itself...it won't be england overshadowing scotland it will just be a team that represents GBR without segregation...hopefully. I mean england is made up of players who were born in or around london so smaller cities don't get a look in! Its not really the point, i mean i think it works great to have team GBR in the Olympics and it gives the nation a much higher level of sporting achivement. But we are stuck with this archaic attitude of england and scotland in football having to compete and be seperate, there is definitely a lot of really unwarrented hatred within football and i think it serves no purpose. I'm also just really happy to see people actively trying to break down those walls. I mean sure you were joking but i have had the discussion with a few families that have married between scottish and english people and you hear some very strange comments. Only the other week i heard about an a scottish lass dating and english chap and the scottish mother said "he is such a nice lad but he's english so i don't think he's the one". It just bewilders me that we still have these thoughts going around. But yeah, as you can tell i am all for embracing scotland and wales into a team GBR.

I see what you are saying Ed.

Our own "government" in Scotland once pushed for "independance" which doesn't help matters at all and instantly makes people think they want it without even thinking about it. Football is so huge in GB that it can influence such behaviour from people, it's crazy the things a sport can do to people, but there is so much passion and hatred created by the game.

Anderson
10-18-2009, 02:50 AM
i know but the joke enforces the stereotype

I have no problem at all with a British football team. My problem would be that to have a British team the F.A.s of the British nations would be weakened and possibly forced to merge by FIFA. I travel enough just to get to places like Plymouth or Carlisle. The last thing I want is having to go away to Aberdeen or Inverness.

straightXed
10-18-2009, 06:06 AM
I have no problem at all with a British football team. My problem would be that to have a British team the F.A.s of the British nations would be weakened and possibly forced to merge by FIFA. I travel enough just to get to places like Plymouth or Carlisle. The last thing I want is having to go away to Aberdeen or Inverness.

Why would it be weakened? It could easily become stronger with such a move. But if the best move for football to keep it growing in a positive way was to merge would you be against that? Your travel issues seem pretty irrelevent, perhaps you could elaborate on that some more because its a bit unclear what you are actually trying to get at.

Anderson
10-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Why would it be weakened? It could easily become stronger with such a move. But if the best move for football to keep it growing in a positive way was to merge would you be against that? Your travel issues seem pretty irrelevent, perhaps you could elaborate on that some more because its a bit unclear what you are actually trying to get at.

Each national footb all association enters a national football team into the world cup qualifiers. If the UK were to enter a merged UK football team would FIFA then insist that the national footballl associations also merge. Each association has it's own league. The last thing I would want to see is a merged UK league.

straightXed
10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Each national footb all association enters a national football team into the world cup qualifiers. If the UK were to enter a merged UK football team would FIFA then insist that the national footballl associations also merge. Each association has it's own league. The last thing I would want to see is a merged UK league.

But the national side is a completely different kettle of fish to league football. Merging all the leagues that the FA oversee would be inpractical, time consuming and expensive. If they were to to do it you can bet they would have a good reason to do it based on how much trouble it would be. But you still haven't explained your travel issue. Is that your only reservation or is there something more because so far you have just said you wouldn't like it because you'd have to travel a little...which is speculation to start with and even if it were to become that top tier football merged then yeah you'd have to travel a bit...that shouldn't actually be seen as such a bad thing. I mean people already have to travel a long way and in some cases this will provide more games at a closer proximity. I mean it seems you are thinking about your location and not much else...please let me know what other reservations you have if i am missing something here.

rodrigo
12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
so chile got to be on the same group as spain, switzerland and honduras.

it looks like a tough group for us, mainly because of spain...

straightXed
12-06-2009, 06:10 AM
so chile got to be on the same group as spain, switzerland and honduras.

it looks like a tough group for us, mainly because of spain...

Good luck, England have USA to begin with. Should be a good match.

rodrigo
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
first game!
who saw it?

any comments on it?
for the upcoming matches?

rodrigo
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
oh, and by the way, we just got HD television recently and it's awesome.

SgtD
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
i don't care about it at all. I've lost interest in watching football, or basically any sports.

xCrucialDudex
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Soccer is boring to watch.

xsecx
06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
first game!
who saw it?

any comments on it?

I'm looking forward to USA England match tomorrow. I really hope the USA wins so I can talk shit to my sister in law.

rodrigo
06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm looking forward to USA England match tomorrow. I really hope the USA wins so I can talk shit to my sister in law.

sounds like fun!

straightXed
06-12-2010, 02:46 AM

I'm looking forward to this match a lot, i think it will be a great game. I have been watching match build up for it since yesterday...rooney is fun in interviews, you can play the game of how many times does he say "erm", its alot!

straightXed
06-12-2010, 02:47 AM
first game!
who saw it?

any comments on it?

Really loved seeing SA do well i hope they continue to improve.

xsecx
06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm looking forward to this match a lot, i think it will be a great game. I have been watching match build up for it since yesterday...rooney is fun in interviews, you can play the game of how many times does he say "erm", its alot!

so bummed at the tie.

rodrigo
06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
so bummed at the tie.

i didnt get to see it, but i heard england's goalkeeper dropped the ball?

rodrigo
06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
i hope it picks up, because first games have not really been as fun as they could be

easy
06-13-2010, 07:05 AM
the games are on so early i feel like i wont get into it like i could =[

XDISENGAGEX
06-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Football bores me to death. I watch sex and the city instead.....and dream of prada handbags !!!! Oh er Mrs !!!!

straightXed
06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
germany were in great form i think.

El Moro
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Spain of course.

Out of curosity how are the Brits taking the 1-1 draw?

straightXed
06-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Spain of course.

Out of curosity how are the Brits taking the 1-1 draw?

I think you mean the English.

rodrigo
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
yay!
honduras is not a really tough oponent, but a goal and a victory is a goal and a victory

Lifestyle_X
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Brussels was total chaos cause Brasil won. So many Brasilian flags, noise, people, ... a lot of cops trying to keep the crowd calm.

straightXed
06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Brussels was total chaos cause Brasil won. So many Brasilian flags, noise, people, ... a lot of cops trying to keep the crowd calm.

Part of me wants them to win as i drew them in the office sweep, so i guess that part of me is my wallet!

D1988
06-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Oh dear Spain.....

rodrigo
06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
chile won today's game against switzerland, woot!

Lifestyle_X
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
7 - 0 for Portugal against Korea, hard.

xsecx
06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
totally stoked at the last second goal and us advancing for the first time since the 30s.

rodrigo
06-23-2010, 02:43 PM
totally stoked at the last second goal and us advancing for the first time since the 30s.

didnt also england come second to the usa? that was interesting

rodrigo
06-25-2010, 04:09 PM
we made it!
awful game, but we made it!

xNicolasx
06-25-2010, 11:58 PM

wow i was going for italia :(

I´m disappointed.

they were playing really bad

xsecx
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
wow. england got an ass kicking.

xsecx
06-28-2010, 08:31 AM
how nervous are you today rodrigo?

rodrigo
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
how nervous are you today rodrigo?

i dont have high hopes, but it's still like 4 hours to the game

xsecx
06-28-2010, 09:04 AM
i dont have high hopes, but it's still like 4 hours to the game

are you going to wear a cape and run around and shout goal every time chile scores?

rodrigo
06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
are you going to wear a cape and run around and shout goal every time chile scores?

IF chile scores, sure.
and if we win, i'm going to the riots to see if i can score some free stuff from a chain pizza place

rodrigo
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
IF chile scores, sure.
and if we win, i'm going to the riots to see if i can score some free stuff from a chain pizza place

oh well, no free chairs today!

xsecx
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
oh well, no free chairs today!

so will there be riots now anyway?

rodrigo
06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
so will there be riots now anyway?

nah, nothing worthy of noticing... its what happens when you feel like you acomplished something but lost anyway

El Moro
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Sorry that Chile lost dude, but on the upside (for me) Spain won.

rodrigo
07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
alright

LETS FUCKING GO, SPAIN!

Lifestyle_X
07-08-2010, 05:24 AM
I guess you don't want to hear me say 'Hup Holland hup !' ? Oops.

El Moro
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Spain to the world cup!!!!

rodrigo
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
the crazy german octopus said spain, glad to have those creepy ass creatures on our side

Lifestyle_X
07-10-2010, 05:44 AM
the crazy german octopus said spain, glad to have those creepy ass creatures on our side

He has failed before, he needs to be replaced. And as my head is kinda like a squid, I'll predict the final.

rodrigo
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
fuckin' a!

straightXed
07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
fuckin' a!

football wins!

rodrigo
07-11-2010, 05:06 PM
football wins!

netherlands kung fu wasnt enough

Lifestyle_X
07-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Well that's just sad for me.

mouseman004
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Well that's just sad for me.

I was disappointed too, I wanted to see the Netherlands win. But on a positive note, I actually predicted Spain to win before the tournament started, and I am never actually right about these things.

Lifestyle_X
07-13-2010, 05:25 AM
I think both teams played really good, they gave 200 %. That's why it took so long for the first (and last) goal. In the end, someone had to win.. I think it's sad for the Netherlands, it's the third time or so they ended second in the world cup.

rodrigo
07-13-2010, 07:52 AM
I think both teams played really good, they gave 200 %. That's why it took so long for the first (and last) goal. In the end, someone had to win.. I think it's sad for the Netherlands, it's the third time or so they ended second in the world cup.

dude, you think beating the shit out of spanish players is playing good?

Lifestyle_X
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Finally some action !

El Moro
08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I told everyone Spain was going to win.

rodrigo
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I told everyone Spain was going to win.

did you win some money with it?