PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Police Officer

funwithpinetrees
09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
In my experience I have found that lots of times people who are Straight Edge want to become, or are police officers.

Today I was thinking about being a police officer. It is rather whimsical, but does anyone know what you have to do with schooling and stuff to become one?

Yeah, I googled it, but I find it more informative to read people's thoughts about it when they are just talking in a way that is clear and specific to what I am interested in talking about. It makes me learn better.

mouseman004
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
In my experience I have found that lots of times people who are Straight Edge want to become, or are police officers.

Today I was thinking about being a police officer. It is rather whimsical, but does anyone know what you have to do with schooling and stuff to become one?

Yeah, I googled it, but I find it more informative to read people's thoughts about it when they are just talking in a way that is clear and specific to what I am interested in talking about. It makes me learn better.

In Ontario it is really really hard to become a police officer unless a) you know somebody in the force or b) you are an ethnic minority (that isn't me being racist...they actually fill quotas of visible minorities). Schoolwise here, the colleges offer something called police foundations where you learn about laws, guns etc. It isn't something you need to take though because normally police forces have their own academies where they train their own hires.

CarlaRant
09-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Most police departments want more than a high school degree nowadays, typically an associate's or bachelor's degree in criminal justice. You then need to pass a background test, civil service examination, physical exam and psychological evaluation. Then it's on to the police academy for training, aka police bootcamp. I know that many departments give preference to men and women who have military experience, which makes the waiting list even longer.

Shannon
10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
My friend became a Chicago police officer a little over a year ago.

There was a long drawn out process. He had to present college transcripts (he only took a few courses), get a ton of reference letters, go through a background check, and pass the civil servants test.

After all that was done he had to get accepted into the police academy and they only have so many a year and had to wait around almost a year just to start one. Once he finished training (which is very demanding from what he told me) he got on the force and I think they required a 3 year commitment to hire him.

I'm sure I could probably find out more details on the process that he went through if I asked.

lo0m
10-02-2009, 12:25 AM
where's my A.C.A.B. ? :-) ..

xGriffox
10-03-2009, 11:57 PM
where's my A.C.A.B. ? :-) ..

was waiting for some kinda response like this.
guess this is as good as we'll get on this board.

xsecx
10-04-2009, 07:30 AM

where's your DIY spirit?

lo0m
10-05-2009, 12:14 AM

that was just a joke :-) .. although it's really rare here for hc kids to become police officers..

xGriffox
10-05-2009, 11:11 AM
although it's really rare here for hc kids to become police officers..
that's a good thing. cops ain't punx after all.

Lifestyle_X
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
that was just a joke :-) .. although it's really rare here for hc kids to become police officers..

how come ?

lo0m
10-06-2009, 01:11 AM
because cops are repressive force and punx/squatters/hc kids are usually the first persecuted and attacked. not all cops (like city cops measuring speed, etc) of course..

D1988
10-06-2009, 03:26 AM
It's cool to hate the cops these days. So hating cops and fighting cops is super not punx.

Besides, all these silly rebelious kids who apparently really hate the cops are dumb and if they ever actually needed the cops to save or protect them they would soon change their tune. The only reason they are so stupid is because the majority of them have never had any dealings with or need to use a local police force and instead base an opinion on a video they seen on the Internet or some bullshit along those lines.

lo0m
10-06-2009, 05:22 AM
so you've never experienced derogatory behaviour from police officers because of your punk appearance or anything similar?

D1988
10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
so you've never experienced derogatory behaviour from police officers because of your punk appearance or anything similar?

The police only stare me down when I drive past them because I have a powerful car for someone my age. Apart from this I have never had any bad experiences with the police.

What have they done to you? Made fun of you? Or just assumed you were a criminal for the way you dress? These might piss you off but it doesn't do you any real harm if you are actually innocent, besides, all that aside, if you are in a situation where you are in dire need for the police to assist you then you're attitude towards them will be completely opposite.

mouseman004
10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
What have they done to you? Made fun of you? Or just assumed you were a criminal for the way you dress? These might piss you off but it doesn't do you any real harm if you are actually innocent, besides, all that aside, if you are in a situation where you are in dire need for the police to assist you then you're attitude towards them will be completely opposite.

Agreed.

SgtD
10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Personal experience: policemen behave differently towards punks, because they know they can get away with it. I've seen shit that policemen/women would be thrown into jail for. They probably would have done the same thing to another group of people, but that's what it all boils down to: people who abuse their powers shouldn't be in charge ever.

xGriffox
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Personal experience: policemen behave differently towards punks, because they know they can get away with it. I've seen shit that policemen/women would be thrown into jail for. They probably would have done the same thing to another group of people, but that's what it all boils down to: people who abuse their powers shouldn't be in charge ever.
And oftentimes being "in charge" leads one to abuse the power they hold. It's a vicious circle.

mouseman004
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM

I'm not suggesting that corrupt cops shouldnt be punished for what they do. But to assume that all cops are like that, and to make broad generalisations suggesting that cops are completely a bad thing, without acknknowleding the fact we need them, is what I disagree with.

SgtD
10-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm not suggesting that corrupt cops shouldnt be punished for what they do. But to assume that all cops are like that, and to make broad generalisations suggesting that cops are completely a bad thing, without acknknowleding the fact we need them, is what I disagree with.

obviously.

mouseman004
10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
obviously.

Alright then. I am glad we agree!

lo0m
10-07-2009, 12:40 AM

they beat me (not much, but my "rude" friend was beaten pretty hard), they made me stand 8 hours in cold just in shorts.. for no other reason that i was attending a punk rock concert which was attacked by nazi skinheads.. nothing more, i was never really arested but that was enough for me to make a picture... i've seen two police cars passing by a bus stop where local nazi skinhead with connections in police department was beating up a little gipsy boy.. i have seen they were looking in that direction yet they did nothing, luckily some Ukranian(?) guys made their job.. their response time to violent acts in the night is very long yet when i called them about some asshole shooting pigeons when i was younger they were there in 2 minutes...

don't get me wrong.. i'm definitely not saying that all cops are assholes.. my gf's cousin is a cop and now is my neighbour also and he's really nice guy willing to help anytime we ask.. i just wonder if that would change if he wouldn't know me and we would meet under different circumstances.. i honestly don't know.. i guess it's similar to army here.. even intelligent people will become assholes in collective of assholes..

lo0m
10-07-2009, 12:40 AM
and oftentimes being "in charge" leads one to abuse the power they hold. It's a vicious circle.

+1

xCrucialDudex
10-07-2009, 12:55 AM
they beat me (not much, but my "rude" friend was beaten pretty hard), they made me stand 8 hours in cold just in shorts.. for no other reason that i was attending a punk rock concert which was attacked by nazi skinheads.. nothing more, i was never really arested but that was enough for me to make a picture... i've seen two police cars passing by a bus stop where local nazi skinhead with connections in police department was beating up a little gipsy boy.. i have seen they were looking in that direction yet they did nothing, luckily some Ukranian(?) guys made their job.. their response time to violent acts in the night is very long yet when i called them about some asshole shooting pigeons when i was younger they were there in 2 minutes...

don't get me wrong.. i'm definitely not saying that all cops are assholes.. my gf's cousin is a cop and now is my neighbour also and he's really nice guy willing to help anytime we ask.. i just wonder if that would change if he wouldn't know me and we would meet under different circumstances.. i honestly don't know.. i guess it's similar to army here.. even intelligent people will become assholes in collective of assholes..

Sounds like Ukraine man.

SgtD
10-07-2009, 11:30 AM

my experience with czech cops:
on our first tour we played in Brno, the second band was playing and i went out to make a phonecall from the booth, next thing i know the venue is full of cops, and identifying everybody. the promoter's girlfriend, this skinhead girl had a baton on her, which is illegal in hungary, but the cops didn't take it away from her. i saw somebody with brass knuckles, and the cops didn't take them away either. i thought it was weird. they put a guy in the car, because he was fucked up on drugs, and left, the show continued.
last tour in february: we played in squat milada -which is now defunct-, the first band was playing and these riot cops came in with dogs, and their hands on their pistol holsters. i don't know czech, but i saw them getting made fun of by the crowd, and the singer. they didn't take away anybody, they left after like 5 minutes, and one of the organizers told me this is common over there, and that one of the cops commented the band on their music.
that's all i know of czech cops, i would have never guessed something like that happen in your country.

Lifestyle_X
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
it's really weird to read all those things about cops in other countries. i don't like all the cops over here, but i never seen something seriously corrupt. and almost never trouble at music events.. they do what they have to do.

lo0m
10-08-2009, 02:11 AM
my experience with czech cops:
on our first tour we played in Brno, the second band was playing and i went out to make a phonecall from the booth, next thing i know the venue is full of cops, and identifying everybody. the promoter's girlfriend, this skinhead girl had a baton on her, which is illegal in hungary, but the cops didn't take it away from her. i saw somebody with brass knuckles, and the cops didn't take them away either. i thought it was weird. they put a guy in the car, because he was fucked up on drugs, and left, the show continued.
last tour in february: we played in squat milada -which is now defunct-, the first band was playing and these riot cops came in with dogs, and their hands on their pistol holsters. i don't know czech, but i saw them getting made fun of by the crowd, and the singer. they didn't take away anybody, they left after like 5 minutes, and one of the organizers told me this is common over there, and that one of the cops commented the band on their music.
that's all i know of czech cops, i would have never guessed something like that happen in your country.

that was prague and brno, big cities, the incindent i was talking about was in a little village nearby my hometown where propably lived some "important person".. i dunno.. my other experiences with cops on concerts (here in budweis) are somehow similar to yours, they are saying things like: "i will punch you in your face if you'll keep staring at me" but most of the time they'll leave after few minutes. it's little bit different when the concert should end at 10 PM and the band plays just a minute longer. then controling IDs begins but i'm fine with that as we all knew that we should end at 10 PM.
i'm glad you've mentioned Milada squat.. there was an attempt to squat an abandoned building in centre of Prague some weeks later after the violent eviction of Milada by a security company full of nazis and there police again showed that it's mere political force with all the disinformation, threatening press, bullying and stuff..
anyway - hope you liked touring czech rep. and will come back soon...

SgtD
10-08-2009, 04:51 AM
that was prague and brno, big cities, the incindent i was talking about was in a little village nearby my hometown where propably lived some "important person".. i dunno.. my other experiences with cops on concerts (here in budweis) are somehow similar to yours, they are saying things like: "i will punch you in your face if you'll keep staring at me" but most of the time they'll leave after few minutes. it's little bit different when the concert should end at 10 PM and the band plays just a minute longer. then controling IDs begins but i'm fine with that as we all knew that we should end at 10 PM.
i'm glad you've mentioned Milada squat.. there was an attempt to squat an abandoned building in centre of Prague some weeks later after the violent eviction of Milada by a security company full of nazis and there police again showed that it's mere political force with all the disinformation, threatening press, bullying and stuff..
anyway - hope you liked touring czech rep. and will come back soon...

i was watching the events through an online stream...it was strange. to watch it happen online, and what happened as well.
i hope there's going to be another squat, it was a cool place.

we're gonna go on tour starting on the 21st till the 25th, we'll hit austria, slovakia, czech republic, germany and poland this time around, i'm not sure about the czech venue, it coudl be brno or prague, or yihlava, i forgot, the other band we're going with are putting up the show there.