PDA

View Full Version : sXe tat

sabresnmets
01-02-2004, 02:46 PM
ok when i was considering getting a sXe tat i had an idea to get a chinese symbol above it and she said it was a bad idea, cause other straightedge people say its not straightedge. whats your opinion.

straightXed
01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sabresnmets
ok when i was considering getting a sXe tat i had an idea to get a chinese symbol above it and she said it was a bad idea, cause other straightedge people say its not straightedge. whats your opinion.

Get a chinese symbol when chinese is relevent to the meaning of the tattoo not because it looks cool, thats my shortened take but do what you like. Is she the tattooist? you should listen to what they have to say as they are a wealth of knowledge.

sabresnmets
01-02-2004, 04:00 PM
it means to sober up, wake up or realize

sabresnmets
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
no my sister is not an artist. she just thinks that chinese symbols are too trendy and that would be against all hardcore meanings.

straightXed
01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
it means to sober up, wake up or realize

But how is chinese relevent? You can say those words in english and i think they would be more powerful in english. If the subject of the tattoo is inherently chinese i would understand but it just seems dissjointed unless you yourself have personal chinese ties?

A lot of people get these chinese symbols and a lot of them don't mean what they think they mean, i mean have you researched your chinese, their language is very different and the translation, if correct will more than likely be very much out of context. The symbol will more than likely be applied to a particular situation in chinese life and may make little sense when read by chinese, its meaning probably won't mean what you think. Its your choice but a friend of mine has a symbol for vow and in chinese it relates to a womans promise to her family or something. Believe me there are a lot worse storys than that. His vow was nothing to do with china so why he got it in chinese is beyond me but i guess he won't be getting more.

Plus so many people have it, its just cheesey.

straightXed
01-02-2004, 04:18 PM
no my sister is not an artist. she just thinks that chinese symbols are too trendy and that would be against all hardcore meanings.

ooo, you made another thread.

Well shes right in the sense it isn't relevent to hardcore.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
But how is chinese relevent? You can say those words in english and i think they would be more powerful in english. If the subject of the tattoo is inherently chinese i would understand but it just seems dissjointed unless you yourself have personal chinese ties?

A lot of people get these chinese symbols and a lot of them don't mean what they think they mean, i mean have you researched your chinese, their language is very different and the translation, if correct will more than likely be very much out of context. The symbol will more than likely be applied to a particular situation in chinese life and may make little sense when read by chinese, its meaning probably won't mean what you think. Its your choice but a friend of mine has a symbol for vow and in chinese it relates to a womans promise to her family or something. Believe me there are a lot worse storys than that. His vow was nothing to do with china so why he got it in chinese is beyond me but i guess he won't be getting more.

Plus so many people have it, its just cheesey.

ok its like this its on my forearm and most people dont know what straight edge is, i work at a day care and people are very nosey. i got it for me cause im proud of me and i need to remember why i stopped everything. if its in another language, people dont know what it means, i do.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
ooo, you made another thread.

Well shes right in the sense it isn't relevent to hardcore.

yeah i dont know what i did, i feel like an idiot.

straightXed
01-03-2004, 06:29 AM
ok its like this its on my forearm and most people dont know what straight edge is, i work at a day care and people are very nosey. i got it for me cause im proud of me and i need to remember why i stopped everything. if its in another language, people dont know what it means, i do.

But do you know for sure what it means and why don't you want other people to know? and if most people don't know what straightedge is whats the problem? you say you are proud but not proud enough to display it.

You could have gotten anything tattooed and let it mean what straightedge is to you, you don't have to explain your tattoos to people if you don't want to its just odd that you would use chinese to code its meaning. But its your arm dude and its up to you what you ink on it, i'm just giving you my opinion and one i know a fair few people share.

straightXed
01-03-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah i dont know what i did, i feel like an idiot.

i think its funny:)

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 10:57 AM
i apreciate your opinion. like i said i work at a day care and the last thing i need is parents going to the director and taking their child out cause their bus driver is a drug addict. if its in chinese, i can at least pick the people i want to tell.

straightXed
01-03-2004, 12:04 PM
i apreciate your opinion. like i said i work at a day care and the last thing i need is parents going to the director and taking their child out cause their bus driver is a drug addict. if its in chinese, i can at least pick the people i want to tell.

But there is no conclusive evidence saying you are a drug addict, and in fact you are the oppisite are you not, you in fact are putting out a positive message against the use of drugs. Someone elses ignorance should not dictate your decissions and i do appreciate how hard that can be at times with work and things but the reasons for your tattoo are becoming less and less about you and more to keep other people happy in how you display what means a lot to you, could you post pics of the tattoo? I mean after all the talk it would be nice to see it.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 12:11 PM
yeah i agree but some people dont understand and will never understand, im happy with it cause i know what it means, and i tell who i want.
i got a digital camera for christmas and im still new at the computer thing so if you can tell me how ill try.

straightXed
01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
yeah i agree but some people dont understand and will never understand, im happy with it cause i know what it means, and i tell who i want.
i got a digital camera for christmas and im still new at the computer thing so if you can tell me how ill try.

You got any web space? Find some, or a free image hosting site, search around for them. When you have a url for your uploaded image use the IMG button up there^^^ when you reply.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 12:40 PM
hey on the post reply page, where it says attach file, can i attach a pic?

straightXed
01-03-2004, 01:45 PM

well it says 1 byte maximum so i guessing not

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 01:59 PM
ok your speaking another language.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 02:03 PM
ok well i tried and it was too big, you were right.

xsecx
01-03-2004, 02:04 PM
attachments won't work for security reasons. you'll have upload it to a webpage and link them.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 02:11 PM
ok security, gottcha. web page, completly lost me.

xsecx
01-03-2004, 04:14 PM
ok security, gottcha. web page, completly lost me.

you have to find somewhere online that will let you put your pictures up on it that is reachable via the web. A lot of broadband accounts come with webspace. There are also free places that do it, but since I've never needed one, i couldn't tell you where to go.

sabresnmets
01-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
you have to find somewhere online that will let you put your pictures up on it that is reachable via the web. A lot of broadband accounts come with webspace. There are also free places that do it, but since I've never needed one, i couldn't tell you where to go.

thank you. the way you described that was so nice, that i could just imagine what comments you were saying as you were typing that. ie: "how the fuck does he not know how to do this?"

xsecx
01-03-2004, 06:15 PM
thank you. the way you described that was so nice, that i could just imagine what comments you were saying as you were typing that. ie: "how the fuck does he not know how to do this?"

I used to do low level technical support in a previous life.

straightXed
01-03-2004, 07:00 PM
the problem with the free image hosting places is they are crap, more specifically you don't get much space when its free, they go down a lot and most give up having free accounts.

But try finding one by typing something like 'image hosting' into google.

Optic
01-09-2004, 07:06 AM
People ask me what my X means everyday.. I just tell them it means straight edge - if they ask what's that, I tell them it basicly means I don't drink or smoke for the purpose of always having a clear mind and controll in my life. Simple. I feel nothing to be ashamed of, and if people judge you for it, do you really want to be around ignorant ones anyway?

As for the chinese lettering.. that's a no-no for tattoos ;x As said, they can have so many diferent meanings when translated over, and how do you know they didn't just get some lettering off a rice bag or something and tell you it means "wisdom" -shrugs-

keithxXx
01-04-2006, 12:22 AM
http://myspace-734.vo.llnwd.net/00403/43/75/403505734_l.jpg

xRodboi!x
01-05-2006, 03:39 PM
just to get an idea,coz i want a tatoo for my 18's birthday,does it hurts bad when you get tatooed?

straightXed
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
just to get an idea,coz i want a tatoo for my 18's birthday,does it hurts bad when you get tatooed?

depends on your pain threshold and where on you that you have it.

keithxXx
01-06-2006, 01:35 PM
i say it hurts.. but its bareable.