PDA

View Full Version : FAO Carla & Anyone Interested

D1988
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi Grammar Queen, I mean Carla ;)

I made a post on my blog, since I am a perfectionist I need to make sure everything is correct and as it should be. I have multi read this, checked spelling and grammar but I can't do that to the same level as you can. If you have the time, please check this over for me. It is quite long, so don't worry if you cannot.

http://d1988.blogspot.com/

Post titled "Social Acceptance".

Everyone else, read and comment on the blog here possible. It can be discussed here, but on the blog would be nice as well since nobody gives a shit about it.

I don't usually voive my opinion/thoughts in this way, but I am trying to help myself in new ways and this is some sort of attempt.

I hope it is of interest to some of you. Thanks for reading.

xCrucialDudex
09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
dude what a shameless and sneaky way to promote your blog! you could be more subtle about it really lol

j/k ;)

D1988
09-15-2009, 08:30 AM
dude what a shameless and sneaky way to promote your blog! you could be more subtle about it really lol

j/k ;)

Damn, you caught me!

Nah, people here know about my blog, I hope it isn't seen like that. If it is, Dusty can remove the topic, it's cool.

xCrucialDudex
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Damn, you caught me!

Nah, people here know about my blog, I hope it isn't seen like that. If it is, Dusty can remove the topic, it's cool.

But I guess not everyone knows you have two of them plus MySpace AND Facebook lol

rodrigo
09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Damn, you caught me!

you're from the message board, dude. you can promote whatever you want!

D1988
09-15-2009, 08:40 AM
But I guess not everyone knows you have two of them plus MySpace AND Facebook lol

haha yeah, I'm not the coolest of people.

you're from the message board, dude. you can promote whatever you want!

Stand back! Stand back! It's OK, I'm from da message board!

xCrucialDudex
09-15-2009, 08:43 AM
haha yeah, I'm not the coolest of people.

What do you mean by that? If you mean to say that you're somehow "weird" just because you have two blogs, MySpace and Facebook I will strongly disagree with you.

D1988
09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
What do you mean by that? If you mean to say that you're somehow "weird" just because you have two blogs, MySpace and Facebook I will strongly disagree with you.

Read the blog and you will understand how it ties in :)

xCrucialDudex
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Read the blog and you will understand how it ties in :)

There you go again! lol

CarlaRant
09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey man,

Thanks for the props. I would say the piece is very good and obviously took some thought. I could relate to it personally, which is why it is interesting.

The only thing that popped out to me as needing some rewriting is this:
"Maybe it's time for some of the ignorance to be ignored for a while and for some people to open up their own minds and look at things from a different perspective?"

It's passive and awkward. "It's time for some of the ignorance to be ignored, and for people to open up their minds to see a different perspective" would work better in my humble opinion. :)

D1988
09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey man,

Thanks for the props. I would say the piece is very good and obviously took some thought. I could relate to it personally, which is why it is interesting.

"Maybe it's time for some of the ignorance to be ignored for a while and for some people to open up their own minds and look at things from a different perspective?"

It's passive and awkward. "It's time for some of the ignorance to be ignored, and for people to open up their minds to see a different perspective" would work better in my humble opinion. :)

Thank you very much Carla.

I have edited my post as I agree with what you said, words better that way.

So do I get an F or an A?? :P

straightXed
09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey man,

I just spent a few minutes pondering the idea of ignoring ignorance!

CarlaRant
09-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Thank you very much Carla.

I have edited my post as I agree with what you said, words better that way.

So do I get an F or an A?? :P

95% ;) Good word choice, clarity, conventions, ideas, flow...

D1988
09-17-2009, 04:14 AM
95% ;) Good word choice, clarity, conventions, ideas, flow...

Sweet! Thanks Carla.

I just spent a few minutes pondering the idea of ignoring ignorance!

Well, if you think it's silly or doesn't make sense, help me word it better. I am not very good at this type of thing and would appreciate the help.

straightXed
09-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Well, if you think it's silly or doesn't make sense, help me word it better. I am not very good at this type of thing and would appreciate the help.

If i thought that i would have said that! I have no idea why you think you aren't very good at this type of thing?

D1988
09-17-2009, 04:56 AM
If i thought that i would have said that! I have no idea why you think you aren't very good at this type of thing?

OK, I just took your post the wrong way then man, sorry.

I find it hard to put what I think into words and express myself properly. I don't think I am "good" at anything, I just get by and do the best I can.

straightXed
09-17-2009, 05:39 AM
OK, I just took your post the wrong way then man, sorry.

I find it hard to put what I think into words and express myself properly. I don't think I am "good" at anything, I just get by and do the best I can.

Thats a bad way to look at it. I think i am good at plenty of things...i am pretty sure you are good at plenty of things too. I'm not sure what you are measuring yourself against but i am pretty sure its giving you false readings. If you are doing the best you can then its pretty much a given that your best will continue to get better and better, you might just not notice it...kinda like the karate kid learning karate without realising it by painting fences and shit!

D1988
09-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Thats a bad way to look at it. I think i am good at plenty of things...i am pretty sure you are good at plenty of things too. I'm not sure what you are measuring yourself against but i am pretty sure its giving you false readings. If you are doing the best you can then its pretty much a given that your best will continue to get better and better, you might just not notice it...kinda like the karate kid learning karate without realising it by painting fences and shit!

Thanks Ed.

straightXed
09-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks Ed.

Mr. Miagi to you!

D1988
09-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Mr. Miagi to you!

http://www.martialartstalent.com/uploads/editor/karate_kid_movie_still.jpg

straightXed
09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.martialartstalent.com/uploads/editor/karate_kid_movie_still.jpg

Exactly, now paint my fence, sand my floors, wax my cars, paint my house and then stand on a post for a bit and you will be a karate master. Or you could just give yourself some credit for what you can do and i will just use the car wash.

D1988
09-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Exactly, now paint my fence, sand my floors, wax my cars, paint my house and then stand on a post for a bit and you will be a karate master. Or you could just give yourself some credit for what you can do and i will just use the car wash.

I'd actually say I am not bad at cleaning cars. My car is always spotless, I have washed it twice this week so far with intentions to wash it at the weekend haha.

straightXed
09-18-2009, 06:07 AM
I'd actually say I am not bad at cleaning cars. My car is always spotless, I have washed it twice this week so far with intentions to wash it at the weekend haha.

I keep my car fairly clean but i think washing it 3 times a week seems a little obsessive!

D1988
09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
I keep my car fairly clean but i think washing it 3 times a week seems a little obsessive!

I got nothing better to do! I love my car, it's awesome.

straightXed
09-18-2009, 08:07 AM
I got nothing better to do! I love my car, it's awesome.

I thought you hated everything! My car is stupid, i'm looking at getting something else.

D1988
09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I thought you hated everything! My car is stupid, i'm looking at getting something else.

I do hate everything. Except some things.

What is your budget for a new car? Are you looking for something with good MPG, or are you gonna spend some money and get a boys toy???

straightXed
09-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I do hate everything. Except some things.

What is your budget for a new car? Are you looking for something with good MPG, or are you gonna spend some money and get a boys toy???

fuel ecconomy and general ecconomy, comfort, style and reliability are the criteria it needs to fill, performance is optional but obviously preferential. I would sacrafice style but when i say style i refer mainly to the interior as thats what i see most of. budget is open at the moment, i am prepared to spend the right ammount for the right car...i won't be getting much for my current car.

D1988
09-19-2009, 12:27 PM
fuel ecconomy and general ecconomy, comfort, style and reliability are the criteria it needs to fill, performance is optional but obviously preferential. I would sacrafice style but when i say style i refer mainly to the interior as thats what i see most of. budget is open at the moment, i am prepared to spend the right ammount for the right car...i won't be getting much for my current car.

Sounds like you need a Honda. Look into the Civic's, you get a nice diesel version which will do high MPG but at the same time, they look really nice in and out, are very confortable. And yeah, Honda reliability speaks for itself, Honda is one of the most reliable brands of car you can buy in this country.

If you look into petrol versions you also get the Type S and the best one the Type R, but you are talking less than 25mpg in that baby, but it would be by far the most fun to drive.

There is so much cars you could look into, I am a Honda fan though as I own one.

straightXed
09-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like you need a Honda. Look into the Civic's, you get a nice diesel version which will do high MPG but at the same time, they look really nice in and out, are very confortable. And yeah, Honda reliability speaks for itself, Honda is one of the most reliable brands of car you can buy in this country.

If you look into petrol versions you also get the Type S and the best one the Type R, but you are talking less than 25mpg in that baby, but it would be by far the most fun to drive.

There is so much cars you could look into, I am a Honda fan though as I own one.

Sounds like i need a new car. The new civics look a lot worse, really don't like the new shape, it bothers me that the rest of the world has decent shaped civics and we get that thing. Still they are pretty cheap but the civic handling is poor and not best for comfort...i quite like the accords though, proper comfort, a diesel with 50+ MPG, unfortunately servicing costs eat into overall economy so its not a no brainer. It is a model i am looking at but there are other cars i am looking at in that range of vehicle. If i were to even consider the civic it would be a 5 door and the 5 door versions just look like they forgot to put the rear doors on! I'm glad you like your honda and i think they should put you on the books as you are giving a great sales pitch for them!!

xCrucialDudex
09-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Speaking of cars I'd really love to get me new Dodge Challenger.

D1988
09-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Sounds like i need a new car. The new civics look a lot worse, really don't like the new shape, it bothers me that the rest of the world has decent shaped civics and we get that thing. Still they are pretty cheap but the civic handling is poor and not best for comfort...i quite like the accords though, proper comfort, a diesel with 50+ MPG, unfortunately servicing costs eat into overall economy so its not a no brainer. It is a model i am looking at but there are other cars i am looking at in that range of vehicle. If i were to even consider the civic it would be a 5 door and the 5 door versions just look like they forgot to put the rear doors on! I'm glad you like your honda and i think they should put you on the books as you are giving a great sales pitch for them!!

Yeah I totally agree with you on the new Civics. I only really like the Type S and Type R, the other ones are growing on me a little but they aren't the best looking. Reliable, good performers and comfortable they will be.

I have the last model of Civic Type R, which I think is a great looking car. It looks better, it is quicker and the handling is alot better than the new shape Type R. So I am happy with that haha.

Other cars I would look at dude, Seat Leon's. My next door neighbour has one and it is really nice. It's a diesel, he hasn't told me the MPG he gets but I guess about 50mpg. It has 5 doors too and is really quick and comfortable car. There are quite a few models to choose from as well, they do sporty diesel ones which I think you should definitely look into :)

Also, VW Golf's. Specifically the TDI model. Very reliable cars as you will know as I believe you have a Passat? VW's hold their value as well more than alot of cars which is always a good thing for the future.

EDIT - my baby :)

http://i2.bebo.com/049b/13/large/2009/09/12/18/6610410006a11582105546l.jpg

D1988
09-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Speaking of cars I'd really love to get me new Dodge Challenger.

You live in Europe man and that's the type of car you would want? Crazy.

straightXed
09-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah I totally agree with you on the new Civics. I only really like the Type S and Type R, the other ones are growing on me a little but they aren't the best looking. Reliable, good performers and comfortable they will be.

They aren't that comfortable!!! Small cars rarely are.

I have the last model of Civic Type R, which I think is a great looking car. It looks better, it is quicker and the handling is alot better than the new shape Type R. So I am happy with that haha.

Yeah the older ones look more like cars.

Other cars I would look at dude, Seat Leon's. My next door neighbour has one and it is really nice. It's a diesel, he hasn't told me the MPG he gets but I guess about 50mpg. It has 5 doors too and is really quick and comfortable car. There are quite a few models to choose from as well, they do sporty diesel ones which I think you should definitely look into :)

Not a fan of leons either, again, not comfortable and not greatly reliable. Its like a hotch potch VW.

Also, VW Golf's. Specifically the TDI model. Very reliable cars as you will know as I believe you have a Passat? VW's hold their value as well more than alot of cars which is always a good thing for the future.

They face a number of problems in reliability and the reputation of good reliability is not one i ever take at face value. Most VW's end up with electronic issues, nice cars but the golfs are not comfort cars...the new passats are an option but i am very doubtful about getting another VW.

EDIT - my baby :)

http://i2.bebo.com/049b/13/large/2009/09/12/18/6610410006a11582105546l.jpg

Its a nice car but i am looking for a bigger car that is built with comfort in mind more, these cars are nippy and often lean more towards sport which of course is counter to the idea of comfort.

xCrucialDudex
09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
You live in Europe man and that's the type of car you would want? Crazy.

What do you mean to say here exactly?

rodrigo
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
What do you mean to say here exactly?

that you should get a honda

xCrucialDudex
09-20-2009, 12:33 PM
that you should get a honda

lol maybe but I think he was referring to fuel consumption (?)

D1988
09-20-2009, 03:02 PM
No, I don't mean you should get a Honda. I am meaning you have so much better choice than an American car.

mouseman004
09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
No, I don't mean you should get a Honda. I am meaning you have so much better choice than an American car.

I love American cars.

straightXed
09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I love American cars.

I like some american cars.

xCrucialDudex
09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Okay I'm not sure if I love or like american cars but this one in particular thrills my mind. This is exactly one car I'd buy right away not giving it a second thought.

D1988, so what do you mean by "so much better choice"? I still have no idea what you mean exactly.

mouseman004
09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Okay I'm not sure if I love or like american cars but this one in particular thrills my mind. This is exactly one car I'd buy right away not giving it a second thought.

D1988, so what do you mean by "so much better choice"? I still have no idea what you mean exactly.

He means he doesn't like American cars so doesn't know why you would want a challenger when there are better cars out there.

D1988
09-21-2009, 03:21 AM

So much more cars over here look better, perform better, are built better and are therefore much more reliable.

Japanese cars are where it's at to be honest.

xCrucialDudex
09-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Guys just let the dude explain what he said =)

xCrucialDudex
09-21-2009, 03:30 AM
So much more cars over here look better, perform better, are built better and are therefore much more reliable.

Japanese cars are where it's at to be honest.

I see but seriously there are things in life you just see and realize you must have them. This is the case. Challenger's looks is my idea of a cool, great car. I'm not into super cars that are super pricy. I think cars like McLaren, Lamborghini, Pagani Zonda etc. - this is really more about showing off than driving.. but I'm not into "average looking" and "everything-else-average" cars either if you see what I mean...

straightXed
11-14-2009, 08:23 AM
The silver lining to my awful Friday the 13th was more a metalic galaxy grey colour in the shape of a new car...a honda none the less!

Lifestyle_X
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Just get a Mercedes.

straightXed
11-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Just get a Mercedes.

why? Expensive to run and keep, prone to problems unless you buy a much older model. For me, someone who is looking to buy a car used and more than likely out of manufacturers warranty, its not a great purchase. A friend of mine works for mercedes and as a result i have driven or ridden in some of the newer models, they are without doubt usually very good cars at the high end. As you get cheaper and more realistic the current models are not really worth the price tag. There is a lot of buzz saying that mercedes are getting back to their once unrivaled relaibilty but they are far from the company they were 10 - 20 years ago. If i had the money to afford top end models then sure maybe i would opt for a merc, as it stands its not a wise buy at all.

D1988
11-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Not Friday the 13th but my car spent the last few hours of Saturday the 14th in a ditch :(

xsecx
11-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Not Friday the 13th but my car spent the last few hours of Saturday the 14th in a ditch :(

you shouldn't drink and drive.

xsecx
11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
The silver lining to my awful Friday the 13th was more a metalic galaxy grey colour in the shape of a new car...a honda none the less!

please tell me it's a civic si with a big exhaust.

D1988
11-15-2009, 08:36 AM
you shouldn't drink and drive.

Totally. The police dude did not believe me when I told him I did not drink, he actually laughed at me. I told him I hadn't had a drink in about 4 years then he breathealised me and shook his head at the reading. I said "what, 0? Like I said it would be?" and he just said yeah and shut up after that.

straightXed
11-15-2009, 08:42 AM

i can't, sorry.

xsecx
11-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Totally. The police dude did not believe me when I told him I did not drink, he actually laughed at me. I told him I hadn't had a drink in about 4 years then he breathealised me and shook his head at the reading. I said "what, 0? Like I said it would be?" and he just said yeah and shut up after that.

what'd you do?

straightXed
11-15-2009, 08:46 AM

I never figured you for a boy racer!

Lifestyle_X
11-15-2009, 09:03 AM
why? Expensive to run and keep, prone to problems unless you buy a much older model. For me, someone who is looking to buy a car used and more than likely out of manufacturers warranty, its not a great purchase. A friend of mine works for mercedes and as a result i have driven or ridden in some of the newer models, they are without doubt usually very good cars at the high end. As you get cheaper and more realistic the current models are not really worth the price tag. There is a lot of buzz saying that mercedes are getting back to their once unrivaled relaibilty but they are far from the company they were 10 - 20 years ago. If i had the money to afford top end models then sure maybe i would opt for a merc, as it stands its not a wise buy at all.

My parents bought an A-class 4 years ago, they opted once again for a Mercedes because of the safety. I have to say, never had any problems with it, perfect car, runs smooth.

straightXed
11-15-2009, 09:18 AM
My parents bought an A-class 4 years ago, they opted once again for a Mercedes because of the safety. I have to say, never had any problems with it, perfect car, runs smooth.

I definitely wouldn't want an a class for both its looks and the price compared to what it actually is. But regardless of what your parents experiences are if you look at the data that monitors car reliabilty mercedes have posted continuously low for the last 5-10 years and reliabilty was one of my main criteria. Mercedes do make a smooth drive so they do fit my comfort criteria but ecconomy and reliabilty...they don't come through on. I'm not saying they aren't nice cars they just aren't what i was looking to put money on with regards to my criteria...as it is i took a hit on comfort with the honda.

linsee
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM

no it has this exhaust:
http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/hello-kitty-exhaust-pipe.bmp

D1988
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Driving around a roundabout, back end stepped out on the car. I managed to correct it but it threw me the other way and I spun off the road into a ditch.

Front anti roll bar link is only thing broken, everything else is fine and all the scratches except 2 had polished out so the car is absolutely fine thank goodness.

Recovery driver the next day told me on the phone that there were 2 crashes at the back of me on the same roundabout and the police think diesel may have been spilled on the roundabout. I was pissed but OK now that my car is alright.

linsee
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Driving around a roundabout, back end stepped out on the car. I managed to correct it but it threw me the other way and I spun off the road into a ditch.

Roundabouts are silly. I almost died going through one in the state of Kansas over here because I was the only one that knew how to drive in it.

D1988
11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Roundabouts are silly. I almost died going through one in the state of Kansas over here because I was the only one that knew how to drive in it.

I still find it weird how we have thousands of them and some Americans have never even seen one with there own eyes.

linsee
11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I still find it weird how we have thousands of them and some Americans have never even seen one with there own eyes.

It was really really exciting when I was in Kansas and there was one, and then everyone was impressed with my roundabout driving skills.

The first time I was in England I almost barfed from roundabouts, and I have never gotten carsick before.

straightXed
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I guess the similar truth for americans would be the concept of "right on red"

xCrucialDudex
11-19-2009, 12:41 AM
It was really really exciting when I was in Kansas and there was one, and then everyone was impressed with my roundabout driving skills.

The first time I was in England I almost barfed from roundabouts, and I have never gotten carsick before.

Haha I can relate. When my family moved to the Crimea, the part of it with highlands, I first encountered roundabouts and I actually did barf the first time. I got used to roundabouts pretty fast, though.