PDA

View Full Version : bloody ignorant people

FloggingMurphys
01-02-2004, 12:26 AM
ach, okay, so i've been edge for a while, and i love it. i think its a wonderful statement for anyone to make. however, when people say "i'm sXe" and they dont know what theyre talking about, it drives me *crazy*. then when i try to explain how they dont understand what sXe is, they think im getting all haughty. now dont get me wrong, im realy not an elitist - im sure there are people who would say that i dont fully understand sXe - but here are some examples: my friend, who was for the longest time against drinking and smoking, started hanging out with some older friends (who do drink and smoke) and started to consider it. He eventually didnt, saying "no, im still sXe" - then he went on to ask if he could be a "middle man" for a pot dealer i know, because he thought it'd be fun (and obviously because he thought it would make him cool). i told him that meant he wasnt sXe as he claimed, but he swore to it because he doesnt drink or smoke. bollocks to him. and *then*, my other friend (who drinks on a semi-regular basis) was like "i think, after new years, im gonna be sXe" and i was like "no, youre not" and she said "well i dont smoke, and im gonna quit drinking, so im sXe". grrrrr.... Has anyone had similar issues? People sometimes....

xsecx
01-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by FloggingMurphys
ach, okay, so i've been edge for a while, and i love it. i think its a wonderful statement for anyone to make. however, when people say "i'm sXe" and they dont know what theyre talking about, it drives me *crazy*. then when i try to explain how they dont understand what sXe is, they think im getting all haughty. now dont get me wrong, im realy not an elitist - im sure there are people who would say that i dont fully understand sXe - but here are some examples: my friend, who was for the longest time against drinking and smoking, started hanging out with some older friends (who do drink and smoke) and started to consider it. He eventually didnt, saying "no, im still sXe" - then he went on to ask if he could be a "middle man" for a pot dealer i know, because he thought it'd be fun (and obviously because he thought it would make him cool). i told him that meant he wasnt sXe as he claimed, but he swore to it because he doesnt drink or smoke. bollocks to him. and *then*, my other friend (who drinks on a semi-regular basis) was like "i think, after new years, im gonna be sXe" and i was like "no, youre not" and she said "well i dont smoke, and im gonna quit drinking, so im sXe". grrrrr.... Has anyone had similar issues? People sometimes....

this is what happens when straight edge turns into a synonmyn for not doing something rather than a subculture.

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Ive had friends that do that...... but when they set a date to say " alright guys today im now sXe." thats not right..... I mean if they think it out for a long while, not a day where they plan it, and truely decide its for them, then i dont see a problem.....

straightXed
01-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
Ive had friends that do that...... but when they set a date to say " alright guys today im now sXe." thats not right..... I mean if they think it out for a long while, not a day where they plan it, and truely decide its for them, then i dont see a problem.....

why can't you make that decission in a day?

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-04-2004, 01:38 PM
I mean.... i think that making a decision like that should take at least some thought, especially if you're coming from drinking or smoking...... but if someone can make that decision in a day and not look back, then more power to them.....but to wake one morning and say..... "Im sXe now" i dont think they thought about it enough....... but then again thats just me......

straightXed
01-04-2004, 01:48 PM
I mean.... i think that making a decision like that should take at least some thought, especially if you're coming from drinking or smoking...... but if someone can make that decision in a day and not look back, then more power to them.....but to wake one morning and say..... "Im sXe now" i dont think they thought about it enough....... but then again thats just me......

well the thing is you can think about it forever and there will always be a different tommorow to take into account which will just keep perpetuating making a choice, sure i think you need to understand what it is you are claiming though. But when you know what you are claiming you can make that decission quick because it can be something that just fits you like a glove.

The problem arises when kids take forever to make there decision and still don't know what it is they are claiming.

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
i agree with that completely, all i was saying is that people who go get drunk one day, and wake up the next and decide to be sXe, i dont know, cause obviously there is something there that would change their mind and to jump from one extreme to other , i think, needs more thought..... thats all

straightXed
01-04-2004, 02:01 PM
i agree with that completely, all i was saying is that people who go get drunk one day, and wake up the next and decide to be sXe, i dont know, cause obviously there is something there that would change their mind and to jump from one extreme to other , i think, needs more thought..... thats all

maybe, but there will be a cut off point and if someone keeps drinking when they aren't really into it until they have had enough their choice is valid but we are all different right and arrive at our choices differently

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-04-2004, 02:18 PM
yes youre right..... all im saying is for people to take their time with decisions...no need to rush into things you may not understand completely

xvunderx
01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
But then again even if you think about it for a month, there will still be the day you get up and decide to be a part of straightedge.

T3aRs 0f ScRl3t
01-04-2004, 05:22 PM
i know..... but there will be that month they spent thinking about the one day the actually become it.....