PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge In Schools?

xSingingFoxesx
08-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Today, I went to my high school for a welcoming orientation. The parents and students were talked to separately, and my mother said that a guest speaker mentioned straight edge in his speech. I was mildly appalled by the misconception he had of straight edge.

He said that straight edge is people who choose to abstain from drugs and alcohol (correct) but do not necessarily have to be hardcore. He also said that straight edge is most commonly associated with religion, and that the music is religious. The hell? That couldn't be farther from the truth!
Is anyone's school out there preaching this same, altered version of edge?

xsecx
08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Today, I went to my high school for a welcoming orientation. The parents and students were talked to separately, and my mother said that a guest speaker mentioned straight edge in his speech. I was mildly appalled by the misconception he had of straight edge.

He said that straight edge is people who choose to abstain from drugs and alcohol (correct) but do not necessarily have to be hardcore. He also said that straight edge is most commonly associated with religion, and that the music is religious. The hell? That couldn't be farther from the truth!

I'd go find this person, give them a copy of the minor threat discography and ask them to listen to filter over and over and over again.

Segadoway
08-07-2009, 12:36 AM
What is this i dont even

JoeyX
08-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Oh this bugs me beyond belief. One thing that bothers me more than anything, is a parent taking something they think they know and trying to make their own view and/or ideal of it. I would have stood up and told him he is completely and utterly wrong, except for the drugs and alcohol part. Especially when they try and bring religion into it, I hate religion, I hate talking about it, I hate everything about religion. I do not believe in any god.

I swear if straight edge ever becomes a positive school ideal for kids to be a part of, like a christian club or something lame like that, I will start kind of organization or something haha, to protest this and show the truth.

kid_ugly
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
that's a little better then believing we're all violent thugs or calling sXe a cult. but someone having heard of it and knowing it's beliefs is better then having someone with no clue what it is.

MrMcKeigue
08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Very interesting. It would appear I was wrong about sXe being separate from religion just because a man at a podium told me so.

CarlaRant
08-08-2009, 09:01 AM
that's a little better then believing we're all violent thugs or calling sXe a cult. but someone having heard of it and knowing it's beliefs is better then having someone with no clue what it is.

I agree. I've worked at two schools in PHX now where they have "gang training" and fortunately they never brought up straight edge--which has to do with the low population of punk/hardcore kids. This is quite a contrast from Midwest school training....

straightXed
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree. I've worked at two schools in PHX now where they have "gang training" and fortunately they never brought up straight edge--which has to do with the low population of punk/hardcore kids. This is quite a contrast from Midwest school training....

Gang training doesn't conjur up the best image, they should call it something different i think.

xSingingFoxesx
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd go find this person, give them a copy of the minor threat discography and ask them to listen to filter over and over and over again.

My thoughts exactly!

JoeyX
08-08-2009, 02:38 PM

It might be a better ideal point of view, but the fact is.....its a wrong point of view. It is only partially correct.

CarlaRant
08-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Gang training doesn't conjur up the best image, they should call it something different i think.

Eh, the official meeting title was something different...Crisis Prevention and Intervention, but that's what everyone called it. It just boils down to being able to recognize gang symbols, colors, clothing styles, etc and how to handle tha in the classroom.

straightXed
08-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Eh, the official meeting title was something different...Crisis Prevention and Intervention, but that's what everyone called it. It just boils down to being able to recognize gang symbols, colors, clothing styles, etc and how to handle tha in the classroom.

Yeah i figured that would be the case but gang training sounds like they teach you to sell cooked cocaine, launder money, throw gang signs and do shakedowns!!!