PDA

View Full Version : About vegitarism and veganism.

xsleepingxsunrisex
07-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I have just a couple questions about Vegitarianism and Veganism that I feel like asking people instead of googling. Not only does googling something sound awkward it just isn't the same as the opinions of people.

1. To those who have switched from being carnivorous beasts to peaceful herbivores, how difficult is the switch? I've often thought about making the switch, but I can't do it until I'm moved out on my own, and I'm often curious as to how rough it will be at first.

2. Are there more things than just Dairy products that are added to the no-no list when you go all the to Veganism?

3. Is it an expensive lifestyle? I mean of course the vegetables wouldn't be too expensive, but I mean like the replacement meats(i.e. garden burgers). I am the type of person who looks up the price of something that I would buy on a regular basis and think, eh 5 dollars for a box of 12 frozen veggie burgers isn't bad, but I'd bite it later when I find out too late there's a better way.

4. And to Vegans or Vegetarians who made the switch and weren't raised into the lifestyle; were there any specific tolls on your physical body at first?

Thanks in advance to whomever replies, and I'll probably thank you again anyway.

straightXed
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I have just a couple questions about Vegitarianism and Veganism that I feel like asking people instead of googling. Not only does googling something sound awkward it just isn't the same as the opinions of people.

1. To those who have switched from being carnivorous beasts to peaceful herbivores, how difficult is the switch? I've often thought about making the switch, but I can't do it until I'm moved out on my own, and I'm often curious as to how rough it will be at first.

I switched, found it relatively easy, there is plenty of food out there to sustain that type of diet but reading up a fair bit does allow you a lot more idea of things to buy thast you may not of thought of. I switched back to being a beast after 3 years, so i'm the enemy again now.

2. Are there more things than just Dairy products that are added to the no-no list when you go all the to Veganism?

yes, there are things like honey and obviously animal byproduce like wool, leather etc. To be honest you can go so far with it that it get ludicrous. Like processes that certain foods go through i.e. sugar and bone char or certain animal derivitives found in inks. It gets ridiculous, you could end up avoiding vegan food because it was transported in a vehicle that has some kind of animal by product issue!

3. Is it an expensive lifestyle? I mean of course the vegetables wouldn't be too expensive, but I mean like the replacement meats(i.e. garden burgers). I am the type of person who looks up the price of something that I would buy on a regular basis and think, eh 5 dollars for a box of 12 frozen veggie burgers isn't bad, but I'd bite it later when I find out too late there's a better way.

it can be expensive or relatively cheap, shopping around and avoiding buying things that aren't worth their cost is smart. Lots of things are more pricey due to convenience or quantity, the convenience may not be worth it, and as for quantities, its like rice. If i buy a small bag of rice i can often get a bag 5 times the size for the same price from a wholesaler. Think about where you buy your food and what you are paying for...this is true for shopping for a carniverous diet too, probably more so. Sometimes you are better of spending more however, or maybe i just like good quality food.

4. And to Vegans or Vegetarians who made the switch and weren't raised into the lifestyle; were there any specific tolls on your physical body at first?

I had none, i was very careful with eating a really balanced diet though, i ensured i was getting everything i needed. It is easy to be lazy with what you eat and unfortunately you don't really have that luxary with veganism.

Thanks in advance to whomever replies, and I'll probably thank you again anyway.

you are welcome, just saw it as my duty as a beast!

CarlaRant
07-11-2009, 12:57 PM
1. To those who have switched from being carnivorous beasts to peaceful herbivores, how difficult is the switch? I've often thought about making the switch, but I can't do it until I'm moved out on my own, and I'm often curious as to how rough it will be at first..

I didn't find the switch from omnivore to herbivore difficult because I never liked meat to start. However, my husband is fond of a steak, so he says that occasionally he wanted to drive through a Jack In The Box just because it was easier. Once he got himself a veggie fast food guide, he was fine.

2. Are there more things than just Dairy products that are added to the no-no list when you go all the to Veganism?.
No dairy, eggs, and obviously meat. Some vegans will avoid honey, and as a social thing, will refuse to wear leather, silk, or wool.

This is what I hear a lot of complaints about from new "converts". Yes, the faux meats can be expensive. I personally don't like to eat a ton of these items, but they're good to have around for quick meals (plus Hubby likes them). I make a lot of things from scratch and use the faux meats sparingly. Beans, rice, vegetables, fruits, lentils, and nuts make up 90% of our diet. Get a cookbook and get creative.

This is something that my family was concerned with at first. I come from Indiana as well, land of corn, so there was a lot of uninformed people I encountered. All that extra fiber and protein will most likely flush out your body. Some people have told me that they get very weak after switching, but then I would later find out they were only eating pasta. I strongly suggest you be very attentive to your diet for the first year. It will get easier as time passes.

blackrainbow
07-11-2009, 05:52 PM

i gradually switched (to vegitarian), which is the best way. i stopped eating most red meat first (except corned beef as i was obsessed with it), eating just chicken and fish for quite a few months, i had a few cravings for certain things like ham but you just need willpower. i then cut out chicken and a few months later fish. by this stage it was easy, i did not want to eat any meat/seafood at all and had no cravings for anything. it will be much easier living on your own. i live in a house of meat eaters which is probably why i got the cravings.

lots of sweets contain gelatine which is made from boild bones, skin and tendons of animals (usually pigs or cows). jelly (Jell-O) also contains it. there are alternatives (more info: http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html )
Also, some cheese is not suitable for vegetarians, as an enzyme taken from the cows stomach is used in the process of making it. this is an old method and i dont think its widely used anymore.
+ some bread is made with milk.
the best thing to do is just check the labels for suitable for vegetarians/vegans icons.

i dont really know tbh, as my parents do the shopping. you can make your own bean burgers which are delicious. and tofu is a good protein source.
there are also vitamins, which some people take. they might be pricey. your probably more likely to need them if your vegan than veggie though.

erm...i had meat cravings in the early stages of switching (as mentioned b4). i ended up eating alot more and put on quite abit of weight, probably because i wasnt eating enough protein replacement food. apart from that no not really, but it was a gradual process. i wouldnt recommend cutting out everything straight away.

it might be a good idea to go talk to your gp/doctor, they'll give you good advice on whether you need vitamins and whatnot.

xsleepingxsunrisex
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks very much to the three of you. I appreciate all the advice and will take it to heart quite literally. I often feel bad about animals and how they're treated in the food process, but this is more of a personal change than that. I'm trying to find ways to be more healthy and I always figured going veg would be efficient. Thank you very much for all of your advice. I'm gonna favorite this thread so I can go back through it at will.

I was also curious; aside from the aforementioned link, do any of you have any good internet sources I can use. I'm really bad at searching all the wrong things and getting nowhere except when it comes to music.

CarlaRant
07-12-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.vrg.org/

http://www.veganstore.com/

Pilaf
07-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Haha..I would hardly describe myself as "peaceful", for starters. I get called militant a lot, on a lot of issues..but I digress.

How difficult was the switch? For me, after watching the video 'meet your meat' it was extremely easy in a physical and moral sense, because I was horrified and could no longer justify my behaviors from a stance of ignorance. I knew what was up, and I could no longer contribute to it.

My family didn't exactly understand at first, but most of them have accepted it and my mom is even sort of a semi vegetarian now. So it's cool.

Vegans, by definition, abstain from eating, using or wearing all products derived from animals. A list of the obvious ones are - dairy products, eggs, honey, gelatin (vegetarians should also avoid gelatin. There's no way to extract an animal's cartilage without killing it obviously), honey, leather, wool, suede, silk.

There's others but those are the obvious ones.

A large percentage of vegans only eat organic foods, for different but related ethical reasons, and some avoid all products tested on animals. Some even go so far as to boycott companies owned by parent companies who test, but that, to me, is just taking it to an unrealistic step.

Is it expensive?

Um...yes and no.

Is vegetarian food a bit more costly than meat? Probably, especially for inexperienced vegetarians who try to eat meat substitutes at every meal, but eventually you'll learn to love simple, cheap foods like rice, corn, beans and potatoes, and make them staples of your diet.

Also, as health is wealth and in the long run vegans and vegetarians are much less statistically likely to suffer from the worst effects of heart disease, cancer and diabetes, as well as being physically healthier and more active over all, we'll probably be taking less or no medicine as senior citizens than the average omni with hypertension and other disabling diseases. I mean, I certainly spend less on my groceries than my sick elderly omni grandparents do on their meds to lower their blood pressure, which could easily be done by eating grains and walking every day.

Sure. It's called the detoxification period. It's probably more extreme if you jump from omni to pure vegan like I did. For up to a month your body purges all the toxins that have accumulated over the years. It can be painful, disorienting and actually make you feel like you've made a mistake - at first. It feels like a lesser version of what I've heardformer drug addicts going through withdrawal describe going through.

Not everyone experiences this to the same degree I did. For some it's much lesser. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, though. Once you completely detox and adjust your diet, making sure you get your nutrients, your body should have much more energy than ever before and you should hardly ever get sick.

I haven't been sick in five years. When my omni friends smirk and ask what my doctor thinks, I tell them "I dunno. I haven't seen him in a long time."

elmtree
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM

The first week or so was a bit difficult. Just getting used to it, but it has become second nature.

No dairy (including whey, casein...), eggs, honey, gelatin...

It's only expensive if you live off of omnivorous substitutes and frozen meals. Buy whole foods and cook fresh. I get a pack of garden burgers on occasion, but it's way cheaper to make and freeze your own.

To be honest: Gas, but you get immune to it after the first week or so. There are only benefits! (as long as you eat right!)

lo0m
07-13-2009, 01:34 AM

not difficult at all. i switched to vegetarian first but even then i tried to live as vegan as i could.. there were some problems with pastry with me (as pastry here doesn't have labels on it)

google "vegan E additives list" and you'll end up with some really good lists of hidden animal ingredients.. also, i don't use honey (it's a bee's milk really - it's for the little bees) and leather..

it depends.. it can be really expensive and it can be really cheap.. i guess it depends on how much time you would sacrifice to it...

i have gained weight a little as i was in love-on-first-sight with seitan and i've propably ate it too much, but nothing serious ...

beave
07-13-2009, 09:02 AM
1- Well hi, I'm a newbie to vegetarianism (made the switch 3 months ago) but it was not just a spur of the moment thing. I had been considering it for years and then after seeing some of the absolute inhumanities demonstrated to innocent animals. I have never been hugely carniverous but the thing that always hindered me was about how hard it would be for my family at mealtimes because I am the only vegetarian.
The hardest thing was just my mother getting onto me about how she had to work around me because she couldn't just cook a chicken stirfry or whatever. But I showed her I was willing to pitch in to help and cook my own foods and now it is a lot easier.

2- I don't know too much about veganism yet but it is quite restricted as it refers to not consuming any product produced by an animal and clothing that is from animals. I am vegetarian and I still wear leather (because I have had those clothes for years and it would be a waste to dispose of them) but I am pretty sure I havn't bought any clothing made from animals. Depending on why you go vegetarian/vegan the clothing may not be an issue so make it work around you.

3-uh well from what I have seen I don't think it is too much more expensive but i havn't tried any of those faux meats yet so I can't be sure of their costs. Not burgers, veggie patties and lentil burgers are ok (I love veggie patties) but I am not sure of their prices. Veggie patties do cost a lot from where I get them but realistically they shouldn't be very hard to make so be willing to experiment with cooking and you can save some money.

4- Well I can't honestly tell you if I have felt effects. I went cold turkey. There have been days when I have been tired but I also felt like that sometimes when omni so it may not be related. I have also been feeling depression (although a lot is happening) and that is a sign of low protein so I will be wary , but just to let you know that if you feel depressed that might be an indicator of low protein or an imbalance.

But overall I have been feeling good and I know I want to make it stick. Since I made the switch I tend to be having healthier lunches and am more wary about what I am consuming and the effects that I need to be aware of.
Watch out for cheese- make sure non animal enzymes (rennet) are used.
And Gelatine- unfortunately about 3 weeks in I had a yogo and then I looked at the pack and saw it had it and then I am sure it made me feel a bit ill, just the thought of it haha. Gelatine can be found in yoghurts, cheesecake, cream, some margarines and butter.

Make sure that you read into it first and find out about iron, vitamins, folate, protein and what foods have it and what are the consequences of not receiving them. Oh yeah and something I found out last night- have a source of vit. C (citrus) with and iron source because the vit. C aids iron absorption. I was told by another longtime vego friend of mine to go and get blood tests to find out how well your body stores iron and other vit.s and minerals so that you can be aware if supplementing is required.
Oh and if u are a girl (sorry can't check right now lol)- during menstruation make sure you eat well, because your body loses a lot of iron and other important substances, so make sure that you try to eat foods that are high in important substances to replace the losses.

Go to this site- It has good information about vitamins and minerals and also in relation to vegetarian diets.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Vitamin_and_Mineral_Supplement_Fact_Sheets.aspx

Sorry thats a lot of info but I hope you get something useful from there.

elmtree
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Oh yes, I forgot things that you wear. Vegan's don't wear leather, wool, angora, silk, fur.

MrMcKeigue
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM

To be honest: Gas, but you get immune to it after the first week or so. There are only benefits! (as long as you eat right!)

What are a few farts compared to the suffering of countless animals? :]

straightXed
07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
What are a few farts compared to the suffering of countless animals? :]

A few farts could mean the suffering of countless other animals, depending on what they had been eating and where they were.

schuller96
08-09-2009, 07:59 PM
i am actually in the transition myself as we speak. its not easy, but id try eliminating a certain type of meat first, and once u no longer hav the desire to eat that meat, or the temptation is easy enough to controll, eliminate another. so far i have eliminated everything but chicken and pork, and pork is next to go. i find its easier this way. it actually took me about a year to giv up red meat b/c roast beef was my favorite food. now i find that it absolutely disgusts me and i hav no desire to even be in the room while it is being cooked or eaten, led alone eat it myself. it can be hard to transition, but it can also be quite easy, depending on ur take on meat. its different w/ every1.

i hope that u find this information useful, and if not, i understand. i hope u find that its easier to become vegitarian than i did. good luck!