PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm Straight Edge (sorta)

Skittles
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I've been drug free for as long as a can remember, and consciously avoided substance use since I was 15 years old. I've considered myself "edge" since I was fifteen, fully realizing the subculture associated with the word, but not participating in it, mostly because I couldn't find any truly straight edge people. That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me? Also, have I really been straight edge since I was fifteen, or am I just drug free, but dabbling in the straight edge movement?

straightXed
07-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I've been drug free for as long as a can remember, and consciously avoided substance use since I was 15 years old. I've considered myself "edge" since I was fifteen, fully realizing the subculture associated with the word, but not participating in it, mostly because I couldn't find any truly straight edge people. That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me? Also, have I really been straight edge since I was fifteen, or am I just drug free, but dabbling in the straight edge movement?

I think that once you are listening to the music you have begun supporting straightedge, i mean there really isn't a quota to fill on how much "dabbling" should be done before you consider it being involved but you certainly seem to enjoy the music and want to listen to more, you also seem to appreciate that the music and subculture around straightedge is an important factor. So with that in mind, if i was in your shoes right now, i would be considering my self straightedge.

Skittles
07-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I think that once you are listening to the music you have begun supporting straightedge, i mean there really isn't a quota to fill on how much "dabbling" should be done before you consider it being involved but you certainly seem to enjoy the music and want to listen to more, you also seem to appreciate that the music and subculture around straightedge is an important factor. So with that in mind, if i was in your shoes right now, i would be considering my self straightedge.

Thanks for the answer. I've been listening to punk and ska for some time now, and just got into hardcore after seeing a Slapshot concert video on Youtube. I can't find the cds at any store though, and I'd feel guilty if I just downloaded the music. I guess I'll go to Ebay...

xmichaelxlilunx
07-06-2009, 12:44 AM
That said I recently began listening to some actual edge bands (eg Minor Threat), and I'd like to listen to more actual edge music, could anyone recommend any good edge bands to me?

Have Heart, Verse, BAne, Champion etc (if u wnat the more modern hardcore sound)
xArmed For Battlex, Bleeding Through etc (if u want the more metal influenced sound)
Slapshot, 10 Yard Fight etc (if u like the old skl stuff)
i dont really know a lot of good ones i just got into hardcore for a few months

for non sxe hardcore i think Defeater, Bad Brains (Old material), The Carrier, Down to Nothing, Carpathian, Modern Life is War and ISHC are pretty good

straightXed
07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the answer. I've been listening to punk and ska for some time now, and just got into hardcore after seeing a Slapshot concert video on Youtube. I can't find the cds at any store though, and I'd feel guilty if I just downloaded the music. I guess I'll go to Ebay...

Ebay is good but i'm sure you can find other distribution websites or go directly to the site of the actual label the records you are looking for are on.

Pilaf
07-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Youth of Today is a great example of a classic straight edge band.

I guess Have Heart is a very popular contemporary one but they're breaking up pretty soon.

Earth Crisis is...Earth Crisis. Very polarizing apparently. I quite like them in all their incarnations.

lo0m
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
never fogret INSTED - one of the best old school bands :-) .. also you can use some punk eshop like http://interpunk.com/ .. you would pay lower postage than on ebay (from multiple sellers)..

straightXed
07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
never fogret INSTED - one of the best old school bands :-) .. also you can use some punk eshop like http://interpunk.com/ .. you would pay lower postage than on ebay (from multiple sellers)..

Isn't interpunk like awfully uncool?

Skittles
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM

I was actually going to use it to get a slapshot shirt. What's so uncool about interpunk?

rodrigo
07-09-2009, 11:35 AM

they give away free stuff on contests!

contests for free!

straightXed
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I was actually going to use it to get a slapshot shirt. What's so uncool about interpunk?

I just got the impression it was more like an online hot topic, driven soley by aggressive selling ethics, profit making with consideration for a diy music ethic taking a backseat. I priced a few things up compared to buying them direct from labels and there is definitely considerable mark up but also i wonder what that profit goes toward. I just always figured part of the DIY approach was to cut away from large companies using large amounts of money and buying power to monopolise on what we all share in and hold dear to us. We are able to distribute our own music and have done for years, we can communicate directly with people at the label responsible and can steer away from the colder less involved corperate companies that really just want your money. It just seems like a company just maximising on a market gap that we essentially chose to rid ourselves of with the way hardcore has worked. I have always loved buying direct from labels knowing full well any profit making is going directly to those involved in the hardcore scene, it just made me feel good about spending money in a way to support the scene.

This is just my view, maybe i'm old, maybe people don't think or feel like this anymore. I mean i am certainly not someone to tell you what is cool or not, i am guessing most people nowadays are happy with interpunk. Perhaps i am more removed from things than i thought, which makes me a little sad. But i hope you enjoy your shirt, i am actually inspired to put some slapshot on now.

Skittles
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from. I hadn't taken the time to think of it like that. And glad I could inspire someone to listen to Slapshot (Gotta love some Old Tyme Hardcore ;))

straightXed
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I totally understand where you're coming from. I hadn't taken the time to think of it like that. And glad I could inspire someone to listen to Slapshot (Gotta love some Old Tyme Hardcore ;))

I'm glad you understand, for a moment i thought i was wasting my time even typing it!