PDA

View Full Version : Soy-free and Gluten-free

CarlaRant
05-02-2009, 09:40 AM
My nutritionist wants me off soy and gluten because it's affecting my thyroid, thus my ability to shed the pounds. Has anyone seen a vegan soy & gluten free cookbook? I can find one combination, but not the other (vegan & soy free or vegan & gluten free). I did find a blog, but I'm a romatic that likes actual cookbooks.

SgtD
05-02-2009, 06:09 PM
no book suggestion here, just wondering:
you could eat seitan, am i right? you pretty much can do everything you did with soy.

CarlaRant
05-03-2009, 09:55 AM
no book suggestion here, just wondering:
you could eat seitan, am i right? you pretty much can do everything you did with soy.

I love that stuff, but the main ingredient is vital wheat gluten. :/ Thus not gluten-free. I've been making a lot of my own recipes with beans and nuts as protein, which isn't that different from my previous cooking experience. It's the gluten free that's killing me. I'm getting sick of rice.

SgtD
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I love that stuff, but the main ingredient is vital wheat gluten. :/ Thus not gluten-free. I've been making a lot of my own recipes with beans and nuts as protein, which isn't that different from my previous cooking experience. It's the gluten free that's killing me. I'm getting sick of rice.
ah, i see. i don't have too much knowledge on vegan kitchen. i don't think it's too healthy.

Segadoway
05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm coeliac, you should get ur hands on any Ogran product, there is also a site that tells you what products in your local supermarkets are free from whatever you are allergic to.

CarlaRant
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
ah, i see. i don't have too much knowledge on vegan kitchen. i don't think it's too healthy.

I'm sorry that you think my lifestyle choice isn't healthy.

I'm coeliac, you should get ur hands on any Ogran product, there is also a site that tells you what products in your local supermarkets are free from whatever you are allergic to.

Cool, thanks! I'll check out the products. Let me know if you remember the name of the site you're talking about.

SgtD
05-06-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry that you think my lifestyle choice isn't healthy.

I meant no offense, but if you can't substitute food your body needs, well, yeah i think it mustn't be too healthy.

CarlaRant
05-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I meant no offense, but if you can't substitute food your body needs, well, yeah i think it mustn't be too healthy.

I'm not offended. I just like soy and gluten, but the doc says no for right now. Thus, I'm still cooking with beans, seeds, and nuts for protein and healthy fats. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of a cookbook.

I don't understand your claim though- I can substitute everything I need: vitamins, minerals, good carbohydrates, protein, fiber....

SgtD
05-08-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm not offended. I just like soy and gluten, but the doc says no for right now. Thus, I'm still cooking with beans, seeds, and nuts for protein and healthy fats. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of a cookbook.

I don't understand your claim though- I can substitute everything I need: vitamins, minerals, good carbohydrates, protein, fiber....

if you can substitute everything, then it's all good.

sfarinas1
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Take a gander at a book titled "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes" by Ani Phyo. It's a raw food recipe book. Good stuff and definitely gluten free.

CarlaRant
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Take a gander at a book titled "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes" by Ani Phyo. It's a raw food recipe book. Good stuff and definitely gluten free.

Ooo! Thank you. I definitely will look that one up.

lo0m
06-05-2009, 12:54 AM
http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.blogspot.com/ is interesting blog but i guess you found it first
googling "raw vegan cookbook" will find some...
and .. i'm not celiac but my father is and when my mother cooks something she simply changes wheat to some without the gluten.. it's not that hard.. you can find a list of safe glutenfree ingredients, unsafe and not-glutenfree (propably here: www.celiac.com or try google) and just compare your favorite recipe and exchange ingredients so it would be safe for you..

CarlaRant
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.blogspot.com/ is interesting blog but i guess you found it first
googling "raw vegan cookbook" will find some...
and .. i'm not celiac but my father is and when my mother cooks something she simply changes wheat to some without the gluten.. it's not that hard.. you can find a list of safe glutenfree ingredients, unsafe and not-glutenfree (propably here: www.celiac.com or try google) and just compare your favorite recipe and exchange ingredients so it would be safe for you..

Yes, that's the blog I found online. I wasn't really looking for a raw lifestyle, but the more I've been reading into it and talking to some of my friends who are raw foodist, the more it has appealled to me.

Obviously I can just do the switcharoo game, and have done so, but I like to have different ideas. I used to work in a healthfood store (5 years) so I've seen the product and know they're out there. However, many of them are disgusting, aka gluten free bread and as I said previously, rice can get boring after a while. Thank goodness for spices!