PDA

View Full Version : who watches the watchmen?

straightXed
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
or at least who has watched the movie? I saw it today and i thought it was pretty good but i thought someone would have posted about it already?!

rodrigo
03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
or at least who has watched the movie? I saw it today and i thought it was pretty good but i thought someone would have posted about it already?!

yes, you thought.

i'm still waiting to go see it, i was really excited about it by my excitement has been getting smaller daily

CarlaRant
03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I've seen it, but didn't feel equipped to start the discussion on it. I thought the movie was excellent and even liked how the ending was changed from the original comic, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet.

linsee
03-20-2009, 09:50 PM
This is too long for me to see in theaters so I will wait for the DVD.

mouseman004
03-20-2009, 10:32 PM

I didn't like it at all. I am sure that is based on the fact I have never read the graphic novel, but based solely on entertainment value I didn't like it. I felt like it was way too long and could have been a lot shorter. But I am in a minority, everybody I talk to loved it.

Segadoway
03-21-2009, 02:50 AM
it doesnt have deadpool so its not worth it.

straightXed
03-21-2009, 05:50 AM
it doesnt have deadpool so its not worth it.

you have no idea.

Anderson
03-22-2009, 03:17 AM
There were bits of it that I really liked and bits that I really didn't. The look of the film was spot on. As were some of the performances, The Comedian and Rorschach in particular. I really liked the opening sequence that told the back story of The Minutemen without spending too long over it.

On the downside I thought most of the music in the film was inappropriate and obtrusive. Zak Snyder clearly has a hard on for gore, despite it being a violent story I thought that was over done in places. I also don't think the ending works particularly well. The big twist in the book comes as a big suprise, while I don't think it did in the film, maybe down to casting or maybe his performance. I also think that the logic behind his masterplan doesn't achieve his ends in the way that it does in the book, although I know that the book ending would probably lead to cinemas biggest ever WFT moment.

All in all I think he's done about as well as could be expected with what was undoubtably a difficult story to put on the screen. It looks just right but I think something has been lost from the book. Although I was told at work today by fellow geeks that I was being hyper critical.

Segadoway
03-22-2009, 05:24 AM
you have no idea.

I do i was being sarcastic, i love deadpool but i am looking forward to watching this movie.

straightXed
03-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I do i was being sarcastic, i love deadpool but i am looking forward to watching this movie.

Sarcasm is not your forte, give it up.

CarlaRant
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
There were bits of it that I really liked and bits that I really didn't. The look of the film was spot on. As were some of the performances, The Comedian and Rorschach in particular. I really liked the opening sequence that told the back story of The Minutemen without spending too long over it.

On the downside I thought most of the music in the film was inappropriate and obtrusive. Zak Snyder clearly has a hard on for gore, despite it being a violent story I thought that was over done in places. I also don't think the ending works particularly well. The big twist in the book comes as a big suprise, while I don't think it did in the film, maybe down to casting or maybe his performance. I also think that the logic behind his masterplan doesn't achieve his ends in the way that it does in the book, although I know that the book ending would probably lead to cinemas biggest ever WFT moment.

All in all I think he's done about as well as could be expected with what was undoubtably a difficult story to put on the screen. It looks just right but I think something has been lost from the book. Although I was told at work today by fellow geeks that I was being hyper critical.

Geeky Gal: You are. :) I too found the music awkward at times, making certain scenes a bit cheesey. I loved how they showed the history of the Watchmen through the photos and flashbacks. You could do a whole movie on just their history and the movie was long enough.

Just-a-fool
03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Didn't like it one bit, but yeh... didn't read the comic either.
Maybe i should learn to walk before i start running and better read the comic before i watch the movie ever again.

PS: Sarcasm is far too hard to recognize over a forum, avoid it xD srsly

straightXed
03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Didn't like it one bit, but yeh... didn't read the comic either.
Maybe i should learn to walk before i start running and better read the comic before i watch the movie ever again.

PS: Sarcasm is far too hard to recognize over a forum, avoid it xD srsly

It is possible to convey sarcasm relatively clearly but it does require one to give enough information to highlight that it is a sarcastic comment.

Shame you didn't like the movie, its a long film to sit through and not like.

Just-a-fool
03-23-2009, 12:26 AM
I've waisted my time on worse subjects before (WoW-addiction)
I watch movies and say "damn thats a crappy movie"
But when i watch the movie again like... 6months or a year later
it is very well possible that i like it.

SgtD
03-23-2009, 04:21 AM
i just waited for the dvd-rip to be uploaded on torrent sites. I'm halfway through downloading it, I think i'm gonna be able to watch it tonight.
haven't read the comics though, i'd like to purchase them, they just got released, but i can't afford it right now

xGriffox
03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
being a huge fan of the novel, the movie was garbage. seriously.

Segadoway
03-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Sarcasm is not your forte, give it up.

Hush

straightXed
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Hush

Sounds like i hit the nail on the head.

straightXed
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
being a huge fan of the novel, the movie was garbage. seriously.

See i am a huge fan also but i found it to be a comendable effort, i have found so many comic book conversions so disapointing and so i never had high expectations but as a movie i think it worked well. All films generally lack in comparison to the novel they are based on, its just the medium. And as watchmen is generally heralded as the best graphic novel then there is a lot to live up to, it was never going to be the greatest movie, its designed to be a comic but i appreicate that they made it work as a movie. I understand why people don't like it though.

Segadoway
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
i had the most fucked up dream about this movie last night.....

Just-a-fool
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Thats actually one of my favorite lines :D
(who watches the watchmen)

Anyway what was your dream like?

nearly_edge
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I started reading the graphic novel today. Its like im reliving the good old days when i was 9 and bought a shitload of comics at the pharmacy. I have a feeling ill like this better than the movie, but ill wait to make the final decision when the books done.

rodrigo
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I started reading the graphic novel today. Its like im reliving the good old days when i was 9 and bought a shitload of comics at the pharmacy. I have a feeling ill like this better than the movie, but ill wait to make the final decision when the books done.

i dont think you would read comics like watchmen as a 9 year old, but its very good.

nearly_edge
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I mean it reminds me of the days when i read the x-men, superman, and batman.

Just-a-fool
04-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I never actually read any graphic novell... i skipped that part in my youth and went straight on to fantasy books :D I like imagination more then drawed pictures of wich the looks of a certain person are pre-defined. In a normal book you can ask 10 ppl to draw the main character and you'll have 10 diff pictures.