PDA

View Full Version : question about vegans and and straight edge

w.wright690
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I've seen a lot about vegans on these forums. Is being a vegan popular within the Straight Edge community?

HardCore HardHead
02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I would say it is. I know several sXers and most seem to be vegan or at least vegitarian. I think "extreme" life styles like veganism fit in just fine with straight edge. It just shows your magnitude of will to do what you feel right. I fell that there is nothing the matter with drinking cow milk if the cow is treated humanly, so, i am not vegan. But, if i felt diffrently then i would be vegan. Its who i am, its who most sXeers are, they do what they feel is right, even if it is not easy. So, being vegan seems to fit well with sXe. We are strong.

CarlaRant
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Wait, there are others here? j/k

Speaking as a vegan, I would say that a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle is very popular in the straightedge community. I hadn't heared of veganism until I started getting into hardcore at the tender age of 14. Nearly all of the sxe kids in my little Midwestern scene were vegan. I think it all stems from wanting to live a "clean life."

xTonyThreatx
02-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Actually for me it's a bit different, any vegetarians or vegans around here are all stoners.
All the edge kids around here are just edge to be tough and hardcore and mostly scoff at xVx.

x JAMES x
03-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I respect vegan edge so fucking much. That's so much dicipline.

Just-a-fool
03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I doubt i have the discipline it takes to be TRUE vegetarian...
let be that i'd try to be vegan.
Maybe if i'd live on my own it would be possible.

x JAMES x
03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I doubt i have the discipline it takes to be TRUE vegetarian...
let be that i'd try to be vegan.
Maybe if i'd live on my own it would be possible.

I'll second that. I'm not about to argue with my mother about buying vegan food HAHAHA she'd shit.

Pilaf
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I've seen a lot about vegans on these forums. Is being a vegan popular within the Straight Edge community?

It depends on a large number of factors ranging from what type of sXe scene you're in, what geographical location you're in, what your age range is, what bands you listen to, etc.

The short answer is yes, there are probably more sXe people who self identify as vegan at this point in time than any other, and vice versa for vegans claiming straight edge. Those two labels seem to bleed into one another to the point people often assume if you're one you must be the other. But that's not true.

xsecx
04-16-2009, 09:08 AM
It depends on a large number of factors ranging from what type of sXe scene you're in, what geographical location you're in, what your age range is, what bands you listen to, etc.

The short answer is yes, there are probably more sXe people who self identify as vegan at this point in time than any other, and vice versa for vegans claiming straight edge. Those two labels seem to bleed into one another to the point people often assume if you're one you must be the other. But that's not true.

this statement is full of shit. The number of vegans involved in straight edge now is a fraction of what it was in the mid 90s.

HardCore HardHead
04-18-2009, 11:13 AM
lol

theincarnation
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
im personally not a veggie. the way i look at it, if God didnt want us to eat meat he wouldnt have made people like abraham sacrifice. the story of five loaves and two fishes would never have happened.
im not a christian. thats just my honest opinion. i get this idea of a clean lifestyle without meat, but meat is also a good dietray element. without it our bodies could suffer.

xsecx
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
im personally not a veggie. the way i look at it, if God didnt want us to eat meat he wouldnt have made people like abraham sacrifice. the story of five loaves and two fishes would never have happened.

there's a pretty good chance that neither of those happened.

CarlaRant
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
this statement is full of shit. The number of vegans involved in straight edge now is a fraction of what it was in the mid 90s.

True true. Everyone I know from my old scene have either sold out on being sxe or vegan.

im not a christian. thats just my honest opinion. i get this idea of a clean lifestyle without meat, but meat is also a good dietray element. without it our bodies could suffer.

If you're not Christian, why use that argument? And yes, meat is a quick protein source, but a human body can function just fine without it. See http://www.veganathlete.com/vegan_vegetarian_athletes.php

And my favorite vegan athelete: Brendan Brazier-Ironman triathlete and creator of Vega protein shakes (and yummy body..mmm...)