PDA

View Full Version : Dropkick Murphies!

ska_is_alive
12-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Very few people like this (I guess you could consider them hardcore in their own irish way) irish punk bag-piping band. The Dropkicks' have their own style. They are not like every other punk band out there. Bag-pipes, very original, and I mean in a good way too. A favorite song of mine by them is: A Few Good Men (There was really no place else to post this thread so don't sue me for putting it here.) But continueing onwards, Anyone a really big fan of these guys? If you havent checked them out, get this CD: Dropkick Murphies, Live On St. Patricks Day. You won't regret it! Dropkicks are one of the few that are still around and know how to throw a a good concert. I've heard that this years Warp Tour, in Mass., They had a gigantan number eight and a whole bunch of people mosh pitting in that form.

xsecx
12-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ska_is_alive
Very few people like this (I guess you could consider them hardcore in their own irish way) irish punk bag-piping band. The Dropkicks' have their own style. They are not like every other punk band out there. Bag-pipes, very original, and I mean in a good way too. A favorite song of mine by them is: A Few Good Men (There was really no place else to post this thread so don't sue me for putting it here.) But continueing onwards, Anyone a really big fan of these guys? If you havent checked them out, get this CD: Dropkick Murphies, Live On St. Patricks Day. You won't regret it! Dropkicks are one of the few that are still around and know how to throw a a good concert. I've heard that this years Warp Tour, in Mass., They had a gigantan number eight and a whole bunch of people mosh pitting in that form.

the style is Oi! and it's not unique to the Dropkick murphy's.

also the first singer was better.

also they're from boston and not ireland and therefore not irish.

also hardcore and punk are not the same thing and should not be used interchangibly.

flame_still_burns
12-16-2003, 10:13 AM
i can appriciate what they are doing.

but the pogues did what they are doing (by punking up traditional irish folk) 20 years ago and 1000 times better.

not bad just a little too loose and punk for my tastes.

Chance301
12-16-2003, 06:22 PM
very few people like them? tell that to every drunk college kid at the University of Maryland. Not hardcore. Bad band.

Nikon
12-16-2003, 09:58 PM
also the first singer was better.

Agreed - but he was a dick. I am from Boston (grew up there) and I have listened to the Murphy's forever. I remember going to shows 18+ back in the day when id's weren't needed. He had a great stage presence but he was an asshole.

SgtD
12-17-2003, 02:56 AM
I like them a lot. I have the live on st.... cd and it's really good.
My fav. song from them is Skinhead on the MBTA.
I also like Real Mckenzies, who live in canada and they are scottish. I don't think it depends where you live what's your nationality...
if I lived in NY, I would still be hungarian, and if I was born there from hungarian parents I'd still be a hun.

Dropkick Murphys is not an original band, but they deliver high quality punk music

ska_is_alive
12-17-2003, 07:03 AM
What I meant was that from today's music sence, they'd be considered original. With all the Blink 182's and Avril Wanna-be's!

xsecx
12-17-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by SgtD
I like them a lot. I have the live on st.... cd and it's really good.
My fav. song from them is Skinhead on the MBTA.
I also like Real Mckenzies, who live in canada and they are scottish. I don't think it depends where you live what's your nationality...
if I lived in NY, I would still be hungarian, and if I was born there from hungarian parents I'd still be a hun.

Dropkick Murphys is not an original band, but they deliver high quality punk music

it's a hard concept to explain to people that aren't american, but people claim nationality to things they have no ties to. Like people who's ancestors came over from england or ireland over 100 years ago and who have no ties to the land, culture or people claiming to be english or irish. Except they don't speak the language, they don't keep up the traditions and they have no ties to the actual culture. Wearing green and drinking beer on st pats day doesn't make you irish. Being irish makes you irish. Nationality ceases to exist once you immigrate and change citizenship especially if you drop any and all customs.

SgtD
12-18-2003, 02:32 AM
It's a bit weird, cos america is a melting pot of nationalities. There are no americans, just immigrants. It doesn't matter if your ancestors went there 500 years ago. It's a created country.

ska_is_alive
12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
or a salad...

xsecx
12-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by SgtD
It's a bit weird, cos america is a melting pot of nationalities. There are no americans, just immigrants. It doesn't matter if your ancestors went there 500 years ago. It's a created country.

yeah, but the same can be said for every country on earth. Everyone came from somewhere else at some point. There just becomes a point where you realize that you have no ties with where your great great great grandparents came from so it's kind of foolish to hold onto the popular culture of place you're not from.

XfistX
12-21-2003, 04:36 PM
never herd them, herd of them but havnt herd there music

sabresnmets
12-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by XfistX
never herd them, herd of them but havnt herd there music

ummmmm what?

straightXed
12-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by sabresnmets
ummmmm what?

He has heard of them but has not had the pleasure/mispleasure of actually hearing what they play.

sabresnmets
12-28-2003, 09:05 AM
ohh ok thanks for interpreting

Optic
01-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I love Dropkicks, might not be as orignal as you put them over, but they did take the style and touched it up a bit in their own way.

I love a lot of music, not just harcore, just a little dissapointing to see people on here be like "it's not hardcore, it sucks." - shrugs- Dropkicks are just so fucking fun to listen to.

My favorite songs are Heros From our Past, The Spicy McHaggas Jig, Finnegan's Wake, and Baroom Heros.... anyone who might want to get into them should def. download those. =)

straightXed
01-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Optic
I love Dropkicks, might not be as orignal as you put them over, but they did take the style and touched it up a bit in their own way.

I love a lot of music, not just harcore, just a little dissapointing to see people on here be like "it's not hardcore, it sucks." - shrugs- Dropkicks are just so fucking fun to listen to.

My favorite songs are Heros From our Past, The Spicy McHaggas Jig, Finnegan's Wake, and Baroom Heros.... anyone who might want to get into them should def. download those. =)

where abouts does it say if its not hardcore it sucks? what post i mean, because i have not seen that and would like to know where you read it.

xsecx
01-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Optic

yeah. so far you've made to baseless allegations of attitudes here.