PDA

View Full Version : holding your own gigs

Segadoway
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
me and my old band (and new band) are trying to get our own gigs going for local bands, as all the local gigs are shit and run by arseholes, has anyone got any tips/experiences that would help?
________
Honda RC148 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC148)

SgtD
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
me and my old band (and new band) are trying to get our own gigs going for local bands, as all the local gigs are shit and run by arseholes, has anyone got any tips/experiences that would help?

not really, it's kind of hard to find venues that embbrace hardcore. you should try youth centers, or bars which are big enough to hold a few people. my experience is that it's better to go there in person and tell them about what you wanted to do, rather then a phonecall.

Segadoway
01-08-2009, 01:57 AM
not really, it's kind of hard to find venues that embbrace hardcore. you should try youth centers, or bars which are big enough to hold a few people. my experience is that it's better to go there in person and tell them about what you wanted to do, rather then a phonecall.

thanks for the advice, we are considering hiring a hall every month or so and letting all the local bands we can get to play there, $5 entry, free water and $1 powerade, but we are still working out equiptment
________
GT550 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GT550)

SgtD
01-08-2009, 03:11 AM
thanks for the advice, we are considering hiring a hall every month or so and letting all the local bands we can get to play there, $5 entry, free water and $1 powerade, but we are still working out equiptment

sounds like you're all set! that's awesome.
the equipment should be the easiest part, because if there are more bands you just have to decide which band brings what.

Segadoway
01-08-2009, 05:04 AM
sounds like you're all set! that's awesome.
the equipment should be the easiest part, because if there are more bands you just have to decide which band brings what.

yeah well we are having trouble with security, and there bight be some insurance issues with the hall
________
volcano vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

SgtD
01-08-2009, 05:07 AM
yeah well we are having trouble with security, and there bight be some insurance issues with the hall

oh i didn't think about that, I never had to deal with those things when i was putting on shows.

CarlaRant
01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
My suggestion is to contact VFW halls and community centers. When you go to propose the event, be sure to dress nice. Explain that is an all-ages (or 18+, whatever) show where you have (#) bands playing. Do not mention what type of music it is, because more often than not, you'll have to explain what it is, which is a waste of time. Provide an estimate as to how many people you expect to show up. Give a solid time frame, allowing ample time to clean up before the hall/center administrators want you out. Always provide your own security; these people can be trustworthy friends, preferably with experience, or a hired crew. Give the details of any refreshments you may be offering. Always promise to clean up afterwards, not only inside the venue, but the parking lot and surrounding area.

Good luck!

Segadoway
01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
My suggestion is to contact VFW halls and community centers. When you go to propose the event, be sure to dress nice. Explain that is an all-ages (or 18+, whatever) show where you have (#) bands playing. Do not mention what type of music it is, because more often than not, you'll have to explain what it is, which is a waste of time. Provide an estimate as to how many people you expect to show up. Give a solid time frame, allowing ample time to clean up before the hall/center administrators want you out. Always provide your own security; these people can be trustworthy friends, preferably with experience, or a hired crew. Give the details of any refreshments you may be offering. Always promise to clean up afterwards, not only inside the venue, but the parking lot and surrounding area.

Good luck!
we just got security handled, but looking nice may be a problem, i have 2 pairs of pants, both ripped to bits, and well my shirts arent that much better, i also have a bright red mohawk...........
________
VF1100S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VF1100S)