PDA

View Full Version : Comics

xGriffox
12-28-2008, 11:04 PM
For all the nerds, let's talk about comics and how great they are.
what's everyone currently reading?

rodrigo
12-29-2008, 08:36 AM
For all the nerds, let's talk about comics and how great they are.
what's everyone currently reading?

man, comics are great

xGriffox
12-29-2008, 11:06 PM
i just got the Absolute Edition of Batman: The Long Halloween today. I am so excited to read this. on top of that i have taken it upon myself to start reading the entire DC "Crisis" series, so i have a lot to work with. I just finished re-reading watchmen for the 4th or 5th time and i am going to be getting a watchmen tattoo within the next couple of months. I am awaiting the last 3 trades of Y: The Last Man to come into my local shop so me and my girlfriend can finally finish that series. I also need the last 6 trades of the Sandman series. basically...up the nerds.

xsecx
12-30-2008, 09:05 AM
i just got the Absolute Edition of Batman: The Long Halloween today. I am so excited to read this. on top of that i have taken it upon myself to start reading the entire DC "Crisis" series, so i have a lot to work with. I just finished re-reading watchmen for the 4th or 5th time and i am going to be getting a watchmen tattoo within the next couple of months. I am awaiting the last 3 trades of Y: The Last Man to come into my local shop so me and my girlfriend can finally finish that series. I also need the last 6 trades of the Sandman series. basically...up the nerds.

I was really disappointed by how y the last man ended. the build up was great but the payoff felt rushed.

I've tried reading crisis on infinite earths and just couldn't get into it. It requires a shitload of knowledge of how the multiverse was.

Right now I'm really excited to see how final crisis ends up and I'm waiting for blackest night to start.

rodrigo
12-30-2008, 09:17 AM

i've tried to read sandman, but it doesnt work, it bores me

CarlaRant
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I was really disappointed by how y the last man ended. the build up was great but the payoff felt rushed.

I agree! I can't stand when the writers rush through the plot to just finish the storyline. Such a letdown.

xsecx
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree! I can't stand when the writers rush through the plot to just finish the storyline. Such a letdown.

lost probably paid more.

xGriffox
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
i hope i'm not too bummed out by how Y: The Last Man ends. It's kept me so captivated up until now i can't imagine how it could be ruined (and please don't tell me how it is).

Anderson
01-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I used to buy loads of comics, but I have in years. Hitman by Garth Ennis is still probably my favourite ever.

yourforgottenmemory
01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I started getting into stuff from claudio sanchez of coheed and cambria. His drawings are pretty amazing.

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
I started getting into stuff from claudio sanchez of coheed and cambria. His drawings are pretty amazing.

too bad that his band sucks

swallow
01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm a real newbie with comics, but I borrowed Hellboy as a comic book from our library, loved it, going to check out the comic section more often.

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm a real newbie with comics, but I borrowed Hellboy as a comic book from our library, loved it, going to check out the comic section more often.

heh, you're turning into a nerd

D1988
01-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I can't stop reading Naruto. It's awesome.

swallow
01-13-2009, 08:11 AM
heh, you're turning into a nerd

I already am. :(

xsecx
01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

all of his stuff is really good.

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
all of his stuff is really good.

did you read hellboy jr.?

xsecx
01-13-2009, 08:42 AM
did you read hellboy jr.?

no, but I've read a bunch of the hellboy trades and bprd stuff and the amazing screw on head and lobster johnson.

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
no, but I've read a bunch of the hellboy trades and bprd stuff and the amazing screw on head and lobster johnson.

yeah, his stuff is pretty good. i was just curious cause i cant see me reading hellboy jr and i had a lot of chances to get it but the title just keeps me away. it might be good though

xvunderx
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I like a lot of overly girly Manga like Hot Gimmick, and Nana, but i also love god old comic comics! I'm not great with reading the weeklys, but I love anything in a book form. Alan Moore's stuff I always enjoy quite a lot, and Osamu Tezuka has a lot of weird and kinda dark books, which you wouldn't think from the man who gave us Astro Boy!

Segadoway
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Pfft. no one beats deadpool, except maybe captain planet..........

xGriffox
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Pfft. no one beats deadpool, except maybe captain planet..........
Rorschach does. by a long shot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/ZorchG/animatedRorschach.gif

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/34/l_228c18cad6154f5e863d24d53c8fc48f.jpg

one of my favorite characters from any piece of fiction.

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
...urge to make a massively nerd comment raising...

xGriffox
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
do it! i've been waitin for em since i started this thread!

rodrigo
01-13-2009, 09:52 PM
do it! i've been waitin for em since i started this thread!

i wont, but lets say that i think rorschach is cool and i love watchmen, but i dont think he could beat Deadpool

Segadoway
01-14-2009, 06:44 AM
i wont, but lets say that i think rorschach is cool and i love watchmen, but i dont think he could beat Deadpool

Pfft, deadpool wins, no question, and even more win with captain planet involved

xGriffox
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
i bet Deathstroke could beat Deadpool easy.

xsecx
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM

nope. healing factor.

rodrigo
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

squirrel girl can take Deathstroke out easily

Segadoway
01-15-2009, 05:15 AM
squirrel girl can take Deathstroke out easily

dude, taps man could take deathstroke, even slightly bruised man or burnt face man would take him

xGriffox
01-15-2009, 08:51 PM
pfft, whatever. Deathstroke is a bad ass and Deadpool is just a bad rip off.

YEAH I SAID IT.

DC > MARVEL

xsecx
01-15-2009, 08:53 PM
pfft, whatever. Deathstroke is a bad ass and Deadpool is just a bad rip off.

YEAH I SAID IT.

DC > MARVEL

wait, are you trying to say that deadpool is a deathstroke rip off?

and yeah. I agree what dc > marvel but deadpool > deathstroke.

rodrigo
01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
now, this is correct

Stagedive (http://www.stagedivecomics.com)>DC>Marvel

and i agree with deadpool being better than deathstroke. there's no way deathstroke can beat deadpool, and deadpool has proven to be pretty smart sometimes.

xGriffox
01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Deadpool is basically a Deathstroke ripoff. He came after Deathstroke, his real name is Wade Wilson while Deathstroke's is Slade Wilson, though that is an obvious joke.

I understand their differences in terms of character and origins, but i am pretty certain without Deathstroke there would have been no Deadpool, at least as he is known today.

linsee
01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I heard that Batman is dead.

rodrigo
01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Deadpool is basically a Deathstroke ripoff. He came after Deathstroke, his real name is Wade Wilson while Deathstroke's is Slade Wilson, though that is an obvious joke.

I understand their differences in terms of character and origins, but i am pretty certain without Deathstroke there would have been no Deadpool, at least as he is known today.

so? how does that mean that deathstroke can take deadpool?

xsecx
01-15-2009, 09:03 PM

yup. as of yesterday and I'm annoyed that because I didn't go yesterday to the shop I had to read about it today.

xGriffox
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
so? how does that mean that deathstroke can take deadpool?
touche.

in all reality the only reason he couldn't was because Deadpool has that bullshit healing power that he got imbued with when they figured out Wolverine.

Deathstroke is still a better character! :-P

xGriffox
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
yup. as of yesterday and I'm annoyed that because I didn't go yesterday to the shop I had to read about it today.

I'm pissed because i didn't start Final Crisis yet and someone just told me. i hate spoilers.

xsecx
01-15-2009, 09:06 PM

deathstoke, serious character
deadpool, comedic character

calling one a rip off of the other is a stretch dude.

straightXed
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Dead or just living a different life, now i just wonder who will replace Bruce, i'd like to see Dick Grayson step up.

xsecx
01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Dead or just living a different life, now i just wonder who will replace Bruce, i'd like to see Dick Grayson step up.

battle for the cowl. I'm guessing it'll be tim and damian as robin.

straightXed
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
battle for the cowl. I'm guessing it'll be tim and damian as robin.

tim pissed me off when he started fighting crime on rollerblades.

xsecx
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
tim pissed me off when he started fighting crime on rollerblades.

the character has come a long way dude. his dad being killed. connor being killed. being adopted by bruce and now bruce dying. he's way less of a "fun" character now and way darker.

straightXed
01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
the character has come a long way dude. his dad being killed. connor being killed. being adopted by bruce and now bruce dying. he's way less of a "fun" character now and way darker.

good, because the last thing i want to see is the dark knight on rollerblades. I would still like to see dick grayson take on the role again.

Dummy
01-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Usagi Yojimbo is my favorite in which im caught up on.
I just started reading the Walking Dead which is awesome.
I tried reading Blade of the Immortal or something like that and I hated the art style.

MizSeri
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Comics? I'm a huge Deadpool fan.. It was so strange to see all of you discussing him.

Here's the real story behind Wade and Slade..

"Rob Liefeld, a fan of the Teen Titans comics, showed his new character to then writer Fabian Nicieza. Upon seeing the costume and noting his characteristics (killer with super agility), Nicieza contacted Rob, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." As two fans of the series and character, Fabian knew Domino and Gideon (also debuting in the same issue) were serious, so he had Deadpool become an annoying jerk. Fabian gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson", Deathstroke"

The origin doesn't really mean anything to me, they couldn't be more different now and I adore Deadpool. He's my man.

I honestly think Slade would give him a pretty good run for his money but Deadpool is awesome a distracting enough to win. I mean come on, he's beaten Task Master, Wolverine, Bullseye, etc.... even Gambit has paid to not have to fight him.

Segadoway
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Comics? I'm a huge Deadpool fan.. It was so strange to see all of you discussing him.

Here's the real story behind Wade and Slade..

"Rob Liefeld, a fan of the Teen Titans comics, showed his new character to then writer Fabian Nicieza. Upon seeing the costume and noting his characteristics (killer with super agility), Nicieza contacted Rob, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." As two fans of the series and character, Fabian knew Domino and Gideon (also debuting in the same issue) were serious, so he had Deadpool become an annoying jerk. Fabian gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson", Deathstroke"

The origin doesn't really mean anything to me, they couldn't be more different now and I adore Deadpool. He's my man.

I honestly think Slade would give him a pretty good run for his money but Deadpool is awesome a distracting enough to win. I mean come on, he's beaten Task Master, Wolverine, Bullseye, etc.... even Gambit has paid to not have to fight him.
deadpool is made of win

CarlaRant
02-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I feel like this some days...
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3073

xGriffox
02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
went to New York Comic Con today. Got "Batman: ANARKY!" and the trades of "Preacher" 1 and 2 for a total of $26. it was a good day.

CarlaRant
02-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to suppress the feelings of jealousy.

I love Preacher-it's the comic that got my addiction started.

Did you meet any artists or writers?

rodrigo
02-08-2009, 08:08 AM
went to New York Comic Con today. Got "Batman: ANARKY!" and the trades of "Preacher" 1 and 2 for a total of $26. it was a good day.

batman: anarky is not bad, but i could naver take too seriously the character

straightXed
02-08-2009, 09:38 AM
batman: anarky is not bad, but i could naver take too seriously the character

Yeah i felt the same about anarky, he was a bit of a little brat really.

xGriffox
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm almost finished withe ANARKY! and i have to say that the character made a lot more sense in the first three issues when he was simply a random story in Detective Comics. The last four segments, which are from his own series, the character seems to falter a great deal just in terms of staying true to his supposed idealism. Regardless, it is a good read.

And Carla, i didn't get to meet any artists or writers i wanted to see! i had heard that Ben Templesmith, Dave Gibbons, and Grant Morrison were all going to be there so i was very excited and very willing to wait on long lines, but when i got there i found out all of them, with exception to Ben Templesmith who would be there at 5, were going to be hanging around on Sunday. Point being i got there very early, around 12pm or so, and didnt have it in me to wait around an extra 2 hours or so just to meet Templesmith. I did however get to meet the guy who played Chewbacca in the original Star Wars movies so that was pretty awesome.

rodrigo
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm almost finished withe ANARKY! and i have to say that the character made a lot more sense in the first three issues when he was simply a random story in Detective Comics. The last four segments, which are from his own series, the character seems to falter a great deal just in terms of staying true to his supposed idealism. Regardless, it is a good read.

And Carla, i didn't get to meet any artists or writers i wanted to see! i had heard that Ben Templesmith, Dave Gibbons, and Grant Morrison were all going to be there so i was very excited and very willing to wait on long lines, but when i got there i found out all of them, with exception to Ben Templesmith who would be there at 5, were going to be hanging around on Sunday. Point being i got there very early, around 12pm or so, and didnt have it in me to wait around an extra 2 hours or so just to meet Templesmith. I did however get to meet the guy who played Chewbacca in the original Star Wars movies so that was pretty awesome.

i would have waited to meet him.

i envy you guys so much, i would have gone insane over there

xsecx
02-08-2009, 12:32 PM

I thought morrison bailed completely?

xGriffox
02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
he may have, i didn't go today, but i had heard he was going to be there.