PDA

View Full Version : Wall-E

linsee
11-22-2008, 08:21 PM
I bought it on DVD Tuesday. I normally don't go for Disney movies, but this one is really good.

D1988
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Wall-E is an awesome movie. I expect someone in my family will buy me it for christmas as they know how much I love it.

K. Fury
11-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Wall E isn't disney, it's pixar!!! Loved it

straightXed
11-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Wall E isn't disney, it's pixar!!! Loved it

pixar is owned by disney

xjohykx
11-23-2008, 05:44 AM
i bought this movie to my brother but further i found out, that i love it much more than him..:)

K. Fury
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
pixar is owned by disney

They were bought by Disney, but Disney doesn't really have much to do with them beyond marketing and distribution. Pixar started as part of the graphics group for Lucasfilm and retains their own creative staff. So as far as the viewer is concerned, it's not the same as your standard Disney productions. It's similar to Disney's US distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's films

straightXed
11-24-2008, 09:31 AM
They were bought by Disney, but Disney doesn't really have much to do with them beyond marketing and distribution. Pixar started as part of the graphics group for Lucasfilm and retains their own creative staff. So as far as the viewer is concerned, it's not the same as your standard Disney productions. It's similar to Disney's US distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's films

Disney have had loads to do with them even before the deal that put steve jobs on the board of directors at disney, and marketing and distribution are massive factors that shouldn't be easily ignored.

You could say the same for thousands of disney films as they all use different studios, production companies, film makers etc. but the point is disney out source and recruit in accordance with the disney line, pixar films fit with the disney ideal. I mean a lot of the films that are under the disney banner aren't your standard disney productions, if the only films you consider to be disney films are your lion kings and the like then sure its not disney but then neither are 1001 other disney films.

Its just another part of disney productions now and seemed that way before 2006 also, it may be a subsidiary with different staff to other animated studios under disney but it still puts out stuff that fits in with the disney marketing schematic. If i go to a disney store i am going to be bombarded by wall-e, high school musical, hannah montana and winnie the pooh and none of it will be out of place. It all fits in perfect with the disney universe as do all pixar feature films released, you simply cannot say wall-e isn't disney, even if you call it disney.pixar its still disney.

K. Fury
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Disney have had loads to do with them even before the deal that put steve jobs on the board of directors at disney, and marketing and distribution are massive factors that shouldn't be easily ignored.

You could say the same for thousands of disney films as they all use different studios, production companies, film makers etc. but the point is disney out source and recruit in accordance with the disney line, pixar films fit with the disney ideal. I mean a lot of the films that are under the disney banner aren't your standard disney productions, if the only films you consider to be disney films are your lion kings and the like then sure its not disney but then neither are 1001 other disney films.

Its just another part of disney productions now and seemed that way before 2006 also, it may be a subsidiary with different staff to other animated studios under disney but it still puts out stuff that fits in with the disney marketing schematic. If i go to a disney store i am going to be bombarded by wall-e, high school musical, hannah montana and winnie the pooh and none of it will be out of place. It all fits in perfect with the disney universe as do all pixar feature films released, you simply cannot say wall-e isn't disney, even if you call it disney.pixar its still disney.

I disagree, I think that Pixar has always had its own style and has really maintained it. Their films just happened to be something that proved profitable and family friendly enough for Disney to take notice. As far as storytelling, I don't find Pixar's film much like your animated Disney classics. It's very different to the way Disney has handled things like this in the past. When Disney bought the Muppets, they didn't retain the Henson staff, they pretty much bought the puppets and the rights to the name. So the Muppets now are different than when they were controlled by the Jim Henson Workshop, while Pixar has retained most of its own identity.

straightXed
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I disagree, I think that Pixar has always had its own style and has really maintained it. Their films just happened to be something that proved profitable and family friendly enough for Disney to take notice. As far as storytelling, I don't find Pixar's film much like your animated Disney classics. It's very different to the way Disney has handled things like this in the past. When Disney bought the Muppets, they didn't retain the Henson staff, they pretty much bought the puppets and the rights to the name. So the Muppets now are different than when they were controlled by the Jim Henson Workshop, while Pixar has retained most of its own identity.

Yeah they kept their own identity, an identity which evolved to its current status by being in business with disney. You are missing the point that not everything that is disney is the classic animations, if you wish to think of it in such narrow terms then great but like i said it means that most of what is refered to as disney isn't disney. If you start going down that route you could argue that some of those classic animations aren't disney and so on and so forth. But lets look at some of those classics...lion king, aladdin, beauty and the beast, rescuers down under...all animated using a system developed by disney and pixar, for many it was a turning point in animation. But of course disney was going to move toward 3D animation, the technology is there and disney new this was the way to go and so they continued to work with a company they knew, instead of trying to start from scratch they utilised pixar to head disney where it wanted to go.

As far as story telling, I don't find chicken little to be like snow white(snow whites not a disney character, just something else they acquired, oh look, its a pattern with disney making other peoples things synonamous with disney) so things change, and all disney have done is moved in a direction they wanted to go by finding a company that does exactly what they are looking for. A lot of disney characters you find at disney world etc don't fit the classic animations. Anyway they liked it so much they bought the company, its still disney as the overall direction, they decide what they put out and what goes under the disney banner and as great and wonderful as pixar is, disneys the name that will ultimately drive it all. Pixar is part of that machine and you still ignore all the other elements that disney bring to the table...i mean you have toy story, cars, finding nemo and monsters inc features at the disney world/land resort but its not disney?! Come on, just because disney is moving with the times and is bloody huge to boot doesn't stop it being disney. I mean pixar isn't exactly what they started as either although like i say they have been working with disney at least since jobs bought it.

Perhaps you feel disney is a negative thing and just won't allow yourself to accept that pixar, since the creation of toy story, has begun running in line with disney. Perhaps you feel the disagreements between pixar and disney showed disney to be utterly evil and just wish it weren't true that disney owns pixar now. Either way disney does own it and what pixar makes is disney and even if you ignore everything else, pixar is disney by association.

K. Fury
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Perhaps you feel disney is a negative thing and just won't allow yourself to accept that pixar, since the creation of toy story, has begun running in line with disney. Perhaps you feel the disagreements between pixar and disney showed disney to be utterly evil and just wish it weren't true that disney owns pixar now. Either way disney does own it and what pixar makes is disney and even if you ignore everything else, pixar is disney by association.

Naw, that's projecting. I realize Disney has done a lot of different things, but things they brand as Disney have a certain flavor while things branded Pixar have another. I'm not saying that Disney is bad at all, my point is that someone who doesn't like "Disney movies" might enjoy Pixar. I never argued Disney doesn't own it, but I am not of the opinion that their style has changed because of it, with Wall-E as the best example of that. Wall-E cues a lot from Pixar's earliest works. You're welcome to disagree, but in my opinion Pixar is still Pixar until they make something that doesn't feel like it fits with their body of work.

straightXed
11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Naw, that's projecting. I realize Disney has done a lot of different things, but things they brand as Disney have a certain flavor while things branded Pixar have another. I'm not saying that Disney is bad at all, my point is that someone who doesn't like "Disney movies" might enjoy Pixar.

So you are still trying to say a pixar movie isn't a disney movie when it is. Unless we break all the movies down that come under the disney umberella, focus on the different studios used etc. You agree yourself that disney has done a lot of stuff but are caught up on the idea that pixar is somehow something that can't be under the disney umberella. I don't like all disney.pixar movies and i certainly don't like all flavours of disney by a long shot, suggesting a pixar movie over a disney movie is just suggesting another disney film. Besides your point seems to be to say that pixar isn't disney when it is.

I never argued Disney doesn't own it, but I am not of the opinion that their style has changed because of it, with Wall-E as the best example of that. Wall-E cues a lot from Pixar's earliest works. You're welcome to disagree, but in my opinion Pixar is still Pixar until they make something that doesn't feel like it fits with their body of work.

Its good you don't argue that because that ownership makes pixar disney. Their style didn't change because of the ownership deal because it didn't need to, it was already producing works that was fit to carry the disney name and fell in line with what disney do, thats why they had deals in place before the ownership. If pixar is pixar because it fits with their body of work then it must be disney also because it fits with their body of work and for most people capture exactly what disney is about. Wall-e cues from earlier works because its such an old idea so similar things have been played with over the time. I'm not disagreeing that pixar is pixar, i am just saying that "pixar is pixar is disney" and it fits with that so easily and so readily, you saying its not disney and suggesting that pixar work is not in line with what disney do ignores the facts.

K. Fury
11-25-2008, 09:26 PM
So you are still trying to say a pixar movie isn't a disney movie when it is. Unless we break all the movies down that come under the disney umberella, focus on the different studios used etc. You agree yourself that disney has done a lot of stuff but are caught up on the idea that pixar is somehow something that can't be under the disney umberella. I don't like all disney.pixar movies and i certainly don't like all flavours of disney by a long shot, suggesting a pixar movie over a disney movie is just suggesting another disney film. Besides your point seems to be to say that pixar isn't disney when it is.
Its good you don't argue that because that ownership makes pixar disney. Their style didn't change because of the ownership deal because it didn't need to, it was already producing works that was fit to carry the disney name and fell in line with what disney do, thats why they had deals in place before the ownership. If pixar is pixar because it fits with their body of work then it must be disney also because it fits with their body of work and for most people capture exactly what disney is about. Wall-e cues from earlier works because its such an old idea so similar things have been played with over the time. I'm not disagreeing that pixar is pixar, i am just saying that "pixar is pixar is disney" and it fits with that so easily and so readily, you saying its not disney and suggesting that pixar work is not in line with what disney do ignores the facts.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are ignoring the facts. It's a qualitative thing, not quantitative. I think there's a distinct difference between Pixar's work and Disney's, you don't. That is not an argument based on facts, it's opinions. This whole argument misses the point entirely anyway, as I was recommending Wall-E as being something I think someone who doesn't generally like Disney movies would like. You don't have to like my opinion, but I'd appreciate if you'd recognize my right to it.

straightXed
11-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are ignoring the facts. It's a qualitative thing, not quantitative. I think there's a distinct difference between Pixar's work and Disney's, you don't. That is not an argument based on facts, it's opinions. This whole argument misses the point entirely anyway, as I was recommending Wall-E as being something I think someone who doesn't generally like Disney movies would like. You don't have to like my opinion, but I'd appreciate if you'd recognize my right to it.

But you are ignoring facts and playing down disneys role to be nothing. Like i said regardless of pixar.disney movies not changing style it doesn't stop them being disney. It doesn't matter if you think there is a distinct difference or not its still part of the disney machine and that makes it disney. It carries the disney name. Other things disney own don't carry the name because it doesn't run in line with what disney puts out as disney, the pixar movies do run in line with that and are disney. You ignore that and those are facts, i recognize your right to ignore facts but i'm not going to pretend its anything other than that. And your initial point was to say its not disney, when it is, and like i said before you will have to break all disney films down into seperate catogorys because if you are speaking generally then wall-e is disney. If you are segregating based on differences then there are lots of different films carrying the disney name and you are generalising all of them as the same but refusing to do the same with pixar which means you are treating them differently. But anyway, pixar characters are things i find in disney stores, parks, websites etc. Again you ignore that fact even though it really does put these characters firmly in the disney universe which encompasses all the differences that you are narrowly focussed upon.

SgtD
11-26-2008, 07:15 AM
For all you crafty Wall-E fans out there...
http://papercraft.wikidot.com/system:page-tags/tag/pixar/category/papercraft

(also, loads of great stuff on the site, check it.)

K. Fury
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
But you are ignoring facts and playing down disneys role to be nothing. Like i said regardless of pixar.disney movies not changing style it doesn't stop them being disney. It doesn't matter if you think there is a distinct difference or not its still part of the disney machine and that makes it disney. It carries the disney name. Other things disney own don't carry the name because it doesn't run in line with what disney puts out as disney, the pixar movies do run in line with that and are disney. You ignore that and those are facts, i recognize your right to ignore facts but i'm not going to pretend its anything other than that. And your initial point was to say its not disney, when it is, and like i said before you will have to break all disney films down into seperate catogorys because if you are speaking generally then wall-e is disney. If you are segregating based on differences then there are lots of different films carrying the disney name and you are generalising all of them as the same but refusing to do the same with pixar which means you are treating them differently. But anyway, pixar characters are things i find in disney stores, parks, websites etc. Again you ignore that fact even though it really does put these characters firmly in the disney universe which encompasses all the differences that you are narrowly focussed upon.

No, that was not my point, and if it was not clear in my original post it was later clarified in this roundabout with you. I never argued Disney doesn't own and market it, but you have ignored the things I have argued, which is the problem. I don't care who owns it, all evidence points to Pixar retaining creative control of the product since it is still so much like their pre-Disney work. You're just taking my "it's not Disney" too literally. I know it literally is Disney, but I find the quality of Pixar's work both before and after their relationship with Disney to be different and thus recommendable to people who aren't fans of Disney normally. That is my point, and what you are arguing is something different entirely. I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like what Disney stands for and don't want to financially support them, but for someone who don't typically like their style, this could be enjoyable. That what my point is and has been, so I just don't see the point bringing out the Disney board meeting minutes over it. It's never been about where you can buy the merchandising or who signs the checks, I'm talking about who might like the movie. Sorry that hasn't been made clear enough yet, but I've spent the last few posts trying to explain that we're not talking about the same things. It's probable you're going to beat this dead horse a bit more, and more power to you- but I'm clearly not conveying well enough to you what I'm talking about to have an effective discussion for either of us, so I'll stop trying.

straightXed
11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
No, that was not my point, and if it was not clear in my original post it was later clarified in this roundabout with you. I never argued Disney doesn't own and market it, but you have ignored the things I have argued, which is the problem.

you ignore the fact that those elements are huge elements and play them off like nothing, disney are a huge part of making it happen, they run the whole show...its disney.

I don't care who owns it, all evidence points to Pixar retaining creative control of the product since it is still so much like their pre-Disney work.

Which pre disney work are you refering too? Why don't you care who owns it, it makes a huge difference. And what makes you think pixar retaining creative control is entirely down to pixar why can't it be what disney chose, why would they want to infringe upon something successful, disney as a hugely successful business can make good business choices obviously.

You're just taking my "it's not Disney" too literally.

Well you literally said its not disney...and are now literally saying it is disney?

I know it literally is Disney, but I find the quality of Pixar's work both before and after their relationship with Disney to be different and thus recommendable to people who aren't fans of Disney normally.

Yes it is literally disney, well done. And once again i will say there is a lot of variety within disney stuff and a lot of people will hate some and like other stuff. They utilise a lot of different stuff to make lots of different flavours of disney, pixar is just another flavour of disney, something else they have incorperated to put on the menu. Them owning it makes it a flavour of disney to choose from.

That is my point, and what you are arguing is something different entirely.

Not really, i was and seem to continue to have to illustrate that regardless of your "point" its still disney.

I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like what Disney stands for and don't want to financially support them, but for someone who don't typically like their style, this could be enjoyable.

Thats wonderful to know, its still disney.

That what my point is and has been, so I just don't see the point bringing out the Disney board meeting minutes over it.

And my point is that regardless of your "point" its still disney. I haven't brought out any board meeting minutes, perhaps you were reading something else.

It's never been about where you can buy the merchandising or who signs the checks, I'm talking about who might like the movie.

Those things were mentioned because they a) illustrate disneys huge play in everything and b) because thats what disney is. But you were just talking about who would like that wonderful disney film!

Sorry that hasn't been made clear enough yet, but I've spent the last few posts trying to explain that we're not talking about the same things.

You don't have to appologise, you probably can't help it, you just weren't able to realise that my point is your point doesn't matter, its still disney.

It's probable you're going to beat this dead horse a bit more, and more power to you- but I'm clearly not conveying well enough to you what I'm talking about to have an effective discussion for either of us, so I'll stop trying.

I'm beating your horse one last time to say exactly the same thing i have said in each post, maybe the penny will drop for you maybe it won't. but it was really wonderful repeating myself for you, but yes, its probably best you stop trying.

mrjoe815
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I still need to buy this!! That little dude is cute haha

xAllTheRagex
12-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Disney store is the coolest place. Loads of Wall-E merch to play with. ^^
Brilliant film anyway.

linsee
12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Disney store is the coolest place. Loads of Wall-E merch to play with. ^^
Brilliant film anyway.

I absolutely hate the Disney store but I did have to go in there to buy a Christmas gift for my friend's little dude. And it's definitely a Wall-E toy.

CarlaRant
12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Saw it last night. Totally cute and it has a interesting socio-political message.