PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew

xLettuceHeadx
11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
It is one of the most interesting "realilty" shows on television. It really is explicit in showing what an alcohol/drug addict thinks and does in their life and the true extent of their addiction. Most of the people on the show look pitiful and near-death while trying to break their addictions. It really is entertaining and informative about the subject of celebrity culture and substance dependence. Any other viewers of the show out there?

linsee
11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I've seen it before but I think it's sort of ridiculous. These people have legitimate problems and it got turned into a reality tv show.

Then again, most reality shows are ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from watching other ones. :)

xsecx
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I've seen it before but I think it's sort of ridiculous. These people have legitimate problems and it got turned into a reality tv show.

Then again, most reality shows are ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from watching other ones. :)

it's more of a documentary than a reality tv show, but I will agree that it's ridiculous. I don't think it's necessarily accurate representation of addiction and the effects of it on peoples lives, since most of the people that are on it don't have to work and don't have any real concept of work and real life.

xLettuceHeadx
11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Yea. Most of the patients seem to be wealthy, trust-fund babies, or entertainers living unconventional lifestyles compared to the general public. There isn't much of a difference between a homeless alcoholic and wealthy alcoholic when they are physiologically trying to kick an addiction. The footage of some of the prescription drug withdrawals is unaffected by the socioeconomic conditions of the patients; it still looks physically wrenching regardless of what occupation a person is.

xsecx
11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Yea. Most of the patients seem to be wealthy, trust-fund babies, or entertainers living unconventional lifestyles compared to the general public. There isn't much of a difference between a homeless alcoholic and wealthy alcoholic when they are physiologically trying to kick an addiction. The footage of some of the prescription drug withdrawals is unaffected by the socioeconomic conditions of the patients; it still looks physically wrenching regardless of what occupation a person is.

What makes you think there isn't much of a difference? Just that because the physical effects are the same, that the psychology of the person doesn't come into play or that the outside forces of someone's life don't matter in terms of dealing with addiction?

TheElephantGirl
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I prefer Intervention. Maybe it's just because some of the stories remind me of personal experiences, but there's something about the show that strikes a chord. It's so real and gripping.

CarlaRant
12-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Celebrity Rehab is the only reality show that I can stomach when I'm watching the idiot box. I personally have never gone through an addiction phase, but some people very close to me have, so it is interesting to watch the psychology of it all from a distance.

Anderson
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Was I the only one who read this as Celebrity Rehab with Dr Dre?

D1988
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM

I never watch TV, but if such a show existed, I would watch.

angelchickjb
12-04-2008, 12:15 PM
it's more of a documentary than a reality tv show, but I will agree that it's ridiculous. I don't think it's necessarily accurate representation of addiction and the effects of it on peoples lives, since most of the people that are on it don't have to work and don't have any real concept of work and real life.

I agree that it is more like a documentary but I believe it is an accurate rep of an addicts life the people do work and have a life. Just because they are famous doesn't mean they aren't human.

xsecx
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree that it is more like a documentary but I believe it is an accurate rep of an addicts life the people do work and have a life. Just because they are famous doesn't mean they aren't human.

most of the people involved don't work for a living though and have lives that aren't really normal.

linsee
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Ahahaha that would be amazing. Dr. Dre should definitely have a tv show.

mouseman004
12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
most of the people involved don't work for a living though and have lives that aren't really normal.

What are you talking about, I'm sure Rodney King works hard!

mouseman004
12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
This show scares me because Gary Busey scares the shit out of me. He is such a wierdo....

xsecx
12-05-2008, 02:11 PM

he's the only one that does. I'd dare anyone to try and explain to me how hard rod stewart's kid has ever had to work.

xvunderx
12-08-2008, 04:01 PM

I feel bad for him in there, he's clearly a fairly normal dude, and the rest no so much. To me seeing him next to the rest of the group shows up the difference between celebrities in rehab, and regular folk in rehab.

mouseman004
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I feel bad for him in there, he's clearly a fairly normal dude, and the rest no so much. To me seeing him next to the rest of the group shows up the difference between celebrities in rehab, and regular folk in rehab.

I think that is why in the episodes I have seen he stays pretty quiet.

xLettuceHeadx
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
What makes you think there isn't much of a difference? Just that because the physical effects are the same, that the psychology of the person doesn't come into play or that the outside forces of someone's life don't matter in terms of dealing with addiction?

The external forces matter much more in whether someone relapses or not; the trust-fund babies would not have a personal economic catastrophe as a normal 9-to-5 working person. The withdrawal and elimination of the toxemias are within the rehab facility and are not dependent on the external forces. Did anyone see Amber's withdrawal from her prescription drug addiction that left her twitching on the floor?

Rodney King definitely handles himself differently than the other patients and seems to be a much more level-headed person in comparison to the hollywood folks. He doesn't get as much air-time because he doesn't act out as much as the others and does not create sensationalized television.

I think Gary Busey was kind of deceived regarding his role on the show. He thinks he is a mentor or something and not a patient, but the staff has always referred to him as a patient. Maybe it is his brain damage? I would watch the show for his Busey-isms. I would be really entertained if he got his own show where he expounded his philosophy on life and his insightful Busey-isms.

The season finale is the upcoming thursday and I'm not really sure what to expect.

xsecx
12-15-2008, 11:38 AM
The external forces matter much more in whether someone relapses or not; the trust-fund babies would not have a personal economic catastrophe as a normal 9-to-5 working person. The withdrawal and elimination of the toxemias are within the rehab facility and are not dependent on the external forces. Did anyone see Amber's withdrawal from her prescription drug addiction that left her twitching on the floor?

physical withdraw is only part of the equation. The psychology of the individual also plays a huge part, and their background does in fact play a huge role as part of it. The way that the vast majority of people on this show view the world does factor into the behavior within the rehab center. How you view yourself and your role in the world is going to effect how you interact with it and others. I'm not really sure why you think this is a good example of anything other than the physical effects of withdrawal, when again, most of the people involve don't have normal lives and some never did.

xLettuceHeadx
12-16-2008, 06:49 PM
physical withdraw is only part of the equation. The psychology of the individual also plays a huge part, and their background does in fact play a huge role as part of it. The way that the vast majority of people on this show view the world does factor into the behavior within the rehab center. How you view yourself and your role in the world is going to effect how you interact with it and others. I'm not really sure why you think this is a good example of anything other than the physical effects of withdrawal, when again, most of the people involve don't have normal lives and some never did.

I focus much more on the physical, observable effects of someone in rehab trying to kick addiction rather than what they might be thinking or what their personal history might be. Not to say that personal history and thoughts do not play a factor in their attempts to kick addiction or anything like that; the observable effects of chemical addiction is what aspect of the show I focus on personally.

xsecx
12-16-2008, 08:14 PM
I focus much more on the physical, observable effects of someone in rehab trying to kick addiction rather than what they might be thinking or what their personal history might be. Not to say that personal history and thoughts do not play a factor in their attempts to kick addiction or anything like that; the observable effects of chemical addiction is what aspect of the show I focus on personally.

so you have a lot of experience in dealing with folks in rehab?

xLettuceHeadx
12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
so you have a lot of experience in dealing with folks in rehab?

Not exactly. Arggh I am discredited as an expert authority on substance addiction. I guess i could be considered an armchair substance addiction counselor, but I do study psychology and have an interest in the various forms of addictions.

Anyone been to rehab and would like to share how that experience went and if it worked? What methods did the rehab staff use?

xsecx
12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Not exactly. Arggh I am discredited as an expert authority on substance addiction. I guess i could be considered an armchair substance addiction counselor, but I do study psychology and have an interest in the various forms of addictions.

Anyone been to rehab and would like to share how that experience went and if it worked? What methods did the rehab staff use?

then it's kind of weird that you discount the psychology of the addict completely and would rather focus purely on the physical reactions to withdrawal.