PDA

View Full Version : this is pretty great

xsecx
11-12-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1515427

chadfitzy
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
what is the AHA? and what exactly are they advertising?

SgtD
11-13-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1515427

haha! awesome.

xsecx
11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
what is the AHA? and what exactly are they advertising?

did you read the article?

chadfitzy
11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
a bit. it was last night so i didnt want to read. i think i got it know.

xvunderx
11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I still have to love this argument....

"How do we define 'good' if we don't believe in God? God in his word, the Bible, tells us what's good and bad and right and wrong. If we are each ourselves defining what's good, it's going to be a crazy world."
Because God is the only way any one can know it's wrong to murder someone.

xLettuceHeadx
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Those displays are dandy. Maybe there really is a War on traditional christmas as some of the paranoid fundamental christian's may think.

xsecx
11-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Those displays are dandy. Maybe there really is a War on traditional christmas as some of the paranoid fundamental christian's may think.

why would you think there is? I'd see these more as a response to those charges than anything else, not to mention the idea of a traditional christmas isn't really christian.

Troll
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
God does not exist. Those that perpetuate the strange concept of an all powerful master are either stupid or evil. I generally believe they are both. C'mon people, just be nice to each other... The Humanists that posted these adverts are probably just as sick and tired as me of living in a world where all the voodoo religions of the world are constantly rammed down your throat. Try life without God, it's easy!!

chadfitzy
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
it gets kinda anoying when people say there definetly is or isnt a god. you dont know, there is no way to know. creation exceeds the imagiination

Anderson
11-23-2008, 01:21 AM
it gets kinda anoying when people say there definetly is or isnt a god. you dont know, there is no way to know. creation exceeds the imagiinationThe BHA put up these ads. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45128000/jpg/_45128101_6743594c-2984-4a81-a282-098c8c001fae.jpg

xjohykx
11-23-2008, 06:20 AM
i think that religion isnīt basically bad...but whatīs really bad is Church and bigotry...Because if you look back into history, the most people died due to some clerical enmity or some "superrior idea".

Everybody should have his own "God" in his mind. Because i really dontīt need some religious God to know, that to kill someone is bad.

By my opinion, and please forgive, religion as i know it, is for weak people.

xLettuceHeadx
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
why would you think there is? I'd see these more as a response to those charges than anything else, not to mention the idea of a traditional christmas isn't really christian.

Saying that there is no god and that one should be generous to others for humanistic purposes seems to conflict with every fundamentalist christian's "reason for the season".

xsecx
11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Saying that there is no god and that one should be generous to others for humanistic purposes seems to conflict with every fundamentalist christian's "reason for the season".

yes, but the reality is that jesus wasn't born in december and was never the reason the for the season. The reality is that the actual traditions around christmas have very little to do with christ at all.

xjohykx
11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
yes, but the reality is that jesus wasn't born in december and was never the reason the for the season. The reality is that the actual traditions around christmas have very little to do with christ at all.

yes, the absolute majority of people celebrate Christmas not because of some religious occasion, but because ouf tradition. "Modern" Christmas have nothing to do with Christianity. Itīs just an occasion to meet your family and celebrate a few days of yule-tide. But sometimes is very hard to relax during the Christmas madness :-)

xsecx
12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
this trend makes me ridiculously happy.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/05/atheists.christmas/index.html

For years and years the conservative pundits in america were accusing people of attacking christmas and I think it's awesome that people actually are now and doing so in a way to let people know that while yes, christianity is the dominate religion in the US, it doesn't make it it the only one and it doesn't make it right.

mouseman004
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
this trend makes me ridiculously happy.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/05/atheists.christmas/index.html

For years and years the conservative pundits in america were accusing people of attacking christmas and I think it's awesome that people actually are now and doing so in a way to let people know that while yes, christianity is the dominate religion in the US, it doesn't make it it the only one and it doesn't make it right.

There are signs all around Kingston that say "Keep Christ in Christmas"

Sunlightseven20
12-09-2008, 09:42 PM
As long as it's cool for Christian associations to pay for ads on the sides of buses I have absolutely no problem with it.

I haven't seen any, but [I'd imagine it's ok.

I have a strong feeling the ACLU or one of those sort of organizations would stand against it.

And this

"How do we define 'good' if we don't believe in God? God in his word, the Bible, tells us what's good and bad and right and wrong. If we are each ourselves defining what's good, it's going to be a crazy world."

Is a weak argument. A little TOO weak. I smell a spin but I also know how Christians can be. I am one but damned if I'm not well aware of how many complete tools there are in churches.

I think the British have a much better slogan. I really would like to see them become even more honest with themselves and everyone else/agnostic and stop trying to tell people what to think and do:

There may or may not be a God. Have a happy December [if you want].

xCrucialDudex
12-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I really would like to see them become even more honest with themselves and everyone else/agnostic and stop trying to tell people what to think and do:

I can hardly see how they're *telling people what to think and do*. Those ads just might push someone to think twice about the topic. These ads don't look to me like they're telling people what to think and do at all.

xsecx
12-30-2008, 09:08 AM
I think the British have a much better slogan. I really would like to see them become even more honest with themselves and everyone else/agnostic and stop trying to tell people what to think and do:

you mean where christians begin accepting that jesus wasn't born in december and as is the case with a lot of christian history that it's based on coercion and lies?