PDA

View Full Version : Parkour?!!?

DarkCarni
10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Best sport out there. I think. i practice it quite often and its pretty damn fun.

If you don't know what it is...here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH114yikV34

note: i didnt make the video...so yea.

SgtD
10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Best sport out there. I think. i practice it quite often and its pretty damn fun.

If you don't know what it is...here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH114yikV34

note: i didnt make the video...so yea.
my brother does parkour, and i keep telling him to find something else, but to no end.

chadfitzy
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
ive heard of it. i actually really want to do it. is it something you can pick up or do you have to be in peak visical form with super human strenght?

xAllTheRagex
10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
It's also refered to as 'free running' over here, there were a bunch of programs about it when it became popular. I thought it was cool, but I don't have the strenght or acrobatic skills to do it.

DarkCarni
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
It's also refered to as 'free running' over here, there were a bunch of programs about it when it became popular. I thought it was cool, but I don't have the strenght or acrobatic skills to do it.
Freerunning is different....WAY DIFFERENT!!!!!! sorry i have to emphasize that. mainly because freerunning includes flips

ive heard of it. i actually really want to do it. is it something you can pick up or do you have to be in peak visical form with super human strenght?

No you can pick it up. but you'll have to start working out to get better at it. Endurance is important and being able to multiple pull ups. So you can pull yourself up over a ledge. Ive seen some pretty scrawny kids do it. But you gain muscle the more you do, do it.

D1988
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
This is actually classed as a sport now?

DarkCarni
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
This is actually classed as a sport now?

Well yeah..i mean some people call it a lifestyle...But essentially it's a sport.

dictionary.com - Sport- an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

its not competitive but id does require physical prowess

xAllTheRagex
10-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Freerunning is different....WAY DIFFERENT!!!!!! sorry i have to emphasize that. mainly because freerunning includes flips.

Oh right. I guess that's uninformed documentaries on Channel 4 for you.

DarkCarni
10-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh right. I guess that's uninformed documentaries on Channel 4 for you.

yeah...thats what happens. i think they just say that because parkour is hard to understand whilst freerunning is a little better.

Segadoway
01-07-2009, 09:42 PM
my brother does parkour, and i keep telling him to find something else, but to no end.

encourage him to do it, but get some proper coaching and learn about the sport itself, do it responsibly and learn what it is about, dont just go out and jump of shit

yeah...thats what happens. i think they just say that because parkour is hard to understand whilst freerunning is a little better.

i cannot believe you just said that

Well yeah..i mean some people call it a lifestyle...But essentially it's a sport.

dictionary.com - Sport- an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

its not competitive but id does require physical prowess

its more of a martial art, but it also a sport a way of life and an art

Freerunning is different....WAY DIFFERENT!!!!!! sorry i have to emphasize that. mainly because freerunning includes flips

No you can pick it up. but you'll have to start working out to get better at it. Endurance is important and being able to multiple pull ups. So you can pull yourself up over a ledge. Ive seen some pretty scrawny kids do it. But you gain muscle the more you do, do it.
ANYONE can do it, its not that they are scrawny that is called tone.

freerunning is more about self expression through movement and is more flashy and thus inefficient, parkour's goal is to be fast, efficient and safe
________
vaporizer reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

straightXed
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
its more of a martial art, but it also a sport a way of life and an art

It what sense is it a martial art? Are the moves designed to defeat an aggressor physically and defend physical attacks? I've never seen it in this light and being that i follow martials arts quite closely i have to question that statement.

CarlaRant
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Parkour and freeflow/run has fascinated me for some time now. I've seen videos and heard of classes being offered to train traceurs a/o runners. I didn't realize it had gotten so big. I did see on http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/events/ that there is development of competitve events, which then would qualify it as a sport, but I'm still confused as to why you are considering it a martial art.

I admire the ideology of not being hindered by the physical boundaries society has placed; it reminds me of something one of my anarchist friends would say.

Segadoway
01-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Parkour and freeflow/run has fascinated me for some time now. I've seen videos and heard of classes being offered to train traceurs a/o runners. I didn't realize it had gotten so big. I did see on http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/events/ that there is development of competitve events, which then would qualify it as a sport, but I'm still confused as to why you are considering it a martial art.

I admire the ideology of not being hindered by the physical boundaries society has placed; it reminds me of something one of my anarchist friends would say.

FUCK URBAN FREEFLOW! seriously those fucking arseholes! i cannot even begin to say how many things are wrong with those fuckers

It what sense is it a martial art? Are the moves designed to defeat an aggressor physically and defend physical attacks? I've never seen it in this light and being that i follow martials arts quite closely i have to question that statement.
a martial arts does not have to be aggressive, it is to be used to get to or away from dangerous situations, it can also be cross trained with other martial arts to help during a fight
________
Buell XB12S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Buell_XB12S)

straightXed
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
a martial arts does not have to be aggressive, it is to be used to get to or away from dangerous situations, it can also be cross trained with other martial arts to help during a fight

I never suggested it had to be aggressive but i did illustrate what common elements all martial arts have, which is a structure used to deal with some kind of attack and a defence system. I think its a stretch to call it a martial art and have seen nothing to suggest it is. Anything can be cross trained, that doesn't make it a martial art. I mean i run, swim, do a little weight training and even a little dancing and it all feeds into my kung fu training and would help me in a fight but it doesn't make any of those things martial arts. So for now it seems pretty clear that its no more a martial art than running, sure its useful and can be taken on board by a martial artist to aid and improve areas of their training but it certainly isn't designed as a martial art.

straightXed
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
FUCK URBAN FREEFLOW! seriously those fucking arseholes! i cannot even begin to say how many things are wrong with those fuckers

Perhaps you should try and be able to say how many things are wrong with them because right now all i'm getting from this is that you hate them and like to swear but i have no idea why you hate them. You seem so angry like they have really harmed you and done something very wrong but i have no idea what.

CarlaRant
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Wow, hostile.

CarlaRant
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Perhaps you should try and be able to say how many things are wrong with them because right now all i'm getting from this is that you hate them and like to swear but i have no idea why you hate them. You seem so angry like they have really harmed you and done something very wrong but i have no idea what.

Agreed.

Segadoway
01-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Agreed.

they put themselves off to be the creators of parkour, try to commercialize the sport thus destroying the whole philosophy of it, they are trying to create parkour competition once again destroying what the whole sport is about, and they also threatened the entire australia parkour movement i quote "you guys will be steam rollered, on a global scale" because we refused to let them take over and control the entire movement in australia, then they tried to sue us because we stood against it.
________
vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

CarlaRant
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Thank you for explaining. I can understand why that would make you upset.

However, competition is within the the very definition of the word sport, so if someone wants to classify parkour as a legitimate sport, there needs to be competitions, correct? Forgive my literal interpretation, but I am an English teacher. It sounds like you're more upset about the group's attempt to capitalize on the artform and philosophy which is parkour. I only brought the group up to make a point about the possible evolution of parkour into a sport since it was mentioned in this thread. Obviously there is a lot of personal politics and dissertion within the parkour community which I am unaware.

Lifestyle_X
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
i think i'll just stick to skateboarding :)

straightXed
01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
i think i'll just stick to skateboarding :)

Good choice!

Segadoway
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Thank you for explaining. I can understand why that would make you upset.

However, competition is within the the very definition of the word sport, so if someone wants to classify parkour as a legitimate sport, there needs to be competitions, correct? Forgive my literal interpretation, but I am an English teacher. It sounds like you're more upset about the group's attempt to capitalize on the artform and philosophy which is parkour. I only brought the group up to make a point about the possible evolution of parkour into a sport since it was mentioned in this thread. Obviously there is a lot of personal politics and dissertion within the parkour community which I am unaware.

a sport can be an activity, there are sports that are non competitive too.
there is also a hell of a lot more things that EZ and his bullshit corporation u$f have done.
________
Kawasaki KD80 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KD80)

straightXed
01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
a sport can be an activity, there are sports that are non competitive too.
there is also a hell of a lot more things that EZ and his bullshit corporation u$f have done.

I'm sure you are right but i can't think of a sport that isn't competitive now!?

Segadoway
01-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm sure you are right but i can't think of a sport that isn't competitive now!?

running is a sport but it doesn't have to be a competition.
a dictionary definition i got was "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." as you can see it says OFTEN.

straightXed
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
running is a sport but it doesn't have to be a competition.
a dictionary definition i got was "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." as you can see it says OFTEN.

Running as a sport is competitive though, competing against others or time and yourself. Running to get the bus doesn't conjure up sport at all, neither does my commute to work even though driving too can be a sport when its put in context with competition and rules.

The use of often could refer to the removal of intense competition like for instance in a charity sporting event by people who aren't really athletes, its still a sporting event governed by rules but the win lose factor becomes less significant...i guess thats the same for fun runs and the like, they aren't really as competitive either but are still structured in a competitive way. So i'm still struggling to find a sport that is completely free from that and is just an activity.

Segadoway
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Running as a sport is competitive though, competing against others or time and yourself. Running to get the bus doesn't conjure up sport at all, neither does my commute to work even though driving too can be a sport when its put in context with competition and rules.

The use of often could refer to the removal of intense competition like for instance in a charity sporting event by people who aren't really athletes, its still a sporting event governed by rules but the win lose factor becomes less significant...i guess thats the same for fun runs and the like, they aren't really as competitive either but are still structured in a competitive way. So i'm still struggling to find a sport that is completely free from that and is just an activity.

well i cant find the thing anywhere, but a guy (i think it was yaro) on the pk forums made a thread explaining how it is a sport, ill try to find it for you, or ill make a new thread asking.

straightXed
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
well i cant find the thing anywhere, but a guy (i think it was yaro) on the pk forums made a thread explaining how it is a sport, ill try to find it for you, or ill make a new thread asking.

Ok then i look forward to reading it.

Segadoway
01-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Ok then i look forward to reading it.

as do i its been a while, sorry i just got back from work havent been able to get him lol

straightXed
01-13-2009, 08:08 AM
as do i its been a while, sorry i just got back from work havent been able to get him lol

No worries, i have patience.

Segadoway
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
No worries, i have patience.

damn page isnt loading on my computer, i should have it done within the week though

straightXed
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
damn page isnt loading on my computer, i should have it done within the week though

ok.

XDevonxDisasterX
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
parkour rox i do it a little but im not very good

Segadoway
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
parkour rox i do it a little but im not very good

i hope you do it properly as with anything you have to practice to be good at it.
also they thought i was trolling lol so no answer unfortunately :(

straightXed
01-29-2009, 04:18 AM
i hope you do it properly as with anything you have to practice to be good at it.
also they thought i was trolling lol so no answer unfortunately :(

you mean no answer about explaining how it is a sport? I'd kinda given up hope of you posting that now to be honest.

Segadoway
01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
you mean no answer about explaining how it is a sport? I'd kinda given up hope of you posting that now to be honest.

haha yeah, i really did try, for now lets just assume its not.

straightXed
01-30-2009, 06:15 AM
haha yeah, i really did try, for now lets just assume its not.

I assumed that anyway, i was just giving you the opportunity to put your argument forward.

Segadoway
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I assumed that anyway, i was just giving you the opportunity to put your argument forward.

well thank you for that opportunity xD

xMaggotAzzAx
08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Ive taken this up and it's one of the best sports ive ever tried. I'm quite a heavy guy and play rugby but you can do it to whatever level you like and it's a load of fun. Even got a guy teaching me some stuff. :)

SgtD
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Ive taken this up and it's one of the best sports ive ever tried. I'm quite a heavy guy and play rugby but you can do it to whatever level you like and it's a load of fun. Even got a guy teaching me some stuff. :)

i never thought i would say something like this, but i prefered your slipknot avatar way more. let alone your signature.

xMaggotAzzAx
08-10-2009, 03:41 PM
haha :P not a fan of Che Guevara??

SgtD
08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
haha :P not a fan of Che Guevara??

haha :P absolutely not!

mouseman004
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
i never thought i would say something like this, but i prefered your slipknot avatar way more. let alone your signature.

I'd have to agree, I hate Che Guevara.

xMaggotAzzAx
08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
reasons? :)

SgtD
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM

communism

mouseman004
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Communism, military revolution in which large numbers were killed, helped Castro in Cuba and I hate Castro...etc.

Segadoway
08-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Communism, military revolution in which large numbers were killed, helped Castro in Cuba and I hate Castro...etc.

Castro betrayed and murdered Guevara.

straightXed
08-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Castro betrayed and murdered Guevara.

Is that a fact?

xMaggotAzzAx
08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
its not his beliefs persay i admire..its the way he stood up and was willing to defend them. Communist or not he was one of the men willing to stand and fight against a huge corrupt military presence. If you read his diaries you see a different side to him. e/g/ he was not always just a combat hardened rebel.

military revolution in which large numbers were killed,

He helped stop the corrupt military killing and harming the peasants of the country, why do you think so many joined the guerilla forces or aided them in their missions with places to stay etc.

Whether you like Fidel Castro or not, Guevara is a different person who I admire for fighting what he believes in, in the face of such opposition.

Segadoway
08-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Is that a fact?

It may as well be.

straightXed
08-12-2009, 05:34 AM
It may as well be.

The answer is no, its not a fact.

xMaggotAzzAx
08-12-2009, 05:41 AM
haha....i feel sorry for the poor guy who wanted to talk about Parkour and got a communist, Conspiracy, Guevara debate :P

Segadoway
08-12-2009, 06:49 AM
The answer is no, its not a fact.

It has never been proved, but just because it was never proved how many people hitler killed doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

straightXed
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
It has never been proved, but just because it was never proved how many people hitler killed doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

What are you talking about? Who says hitler didn't kill people? Squabbling over how many he killed is quite a different issue. I am certainly not interested in arguing that. What i am arguing is it is not a fact that castro murdererd che guevara. For it to be a fact it would need to be proved, especially as there are other suspected possibilities for you to rule out before you can be sure.

So still, it remains that it is not a fact and not even an opinion held by all...so when i ask if its a fact the correct answer involves the word "no".

xMaggotAzzAx
08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
i have to agree with StraightXed it is not a fact it is but an opinion... a wild one at that.

Segadoway
08-14-2009, 03:08 AM
What are you talking about? Who says hitler didn't kill people? Squabbling over how many he killed is quite a different issue. I am certainly not interested in arguing that. What i am arguing is it is not a fact that castro murdererd che guevara. For it to be a fact it would need to be proved, especially as there are other suspected possibilities for you to rule out before you can be sure.

So still, it remains that it is not a fact and not even an opinion held by all...so when i ask if its a fact the correct answer involves the word "no".

There are a load of crazies who deny the holocaust........
Castro didn't murder Guevara personally, but it is the most likely solution.
Anyway lets stop arguing.

straightXed
08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
There are a load of crazies who deny the holocaust........
Castro didn't murder Guevara personally, but it is the most likely solution.
Anyway lets stop arguing.

So you are likening yourself to a crazy? Many people have an opinion that you are wrong and that their opinion is more likely.

I fail to see why you are arguing it at all...i say its not a fact at all yet you are struggling not to agree with that. Regardless of your holocaust analogys the fact remains that your castro-guevara statement is not a fact, its just one of many opinions, the likelyness that your opinion is more likely to be right is also opinion. If you are accepting of that then there really is no argument.

Segadoway
08-15-2009, 07:37 AM
So you are likening yourself to a crazy? Many people have an opinion that you are wrong and that their opinion is more likely.

I fail to see why you are arguing it at all...i say its not a fact at all yet you are struggling not to agree with that. Regardless of your holocaust analogys the fact remains that your castro-guevara statement is not a fact, its just one of many opinions, the likelyness that your opinion is more likely to be right is also opinion. If you are accepting of that then there really is no argument.

Yes.
Look mate, i have real trouble expressing myself, and putting what i mean down into words, i could probably hold a far more decent conversation with you in person, but yeah, lets just leave it as is right now? you are right, i am wrong.

straightXed
08-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes.
Look mate, i have real trouble expressing myself, and putting what i mean down into words, i could probably hold a far more decent conversation with you in person, but yeah, lets just leave it as is right now? you are right, i am wrong.

Thats fine, but in this incident there really isn't anything to express or discuss so that would be why you are finding trouble doing so. I mean the conversation doesn't really go beyond "is it a fact?" - "no its not."

Now that thats all clear and we are agreed then thats all cool in my eyes.

xMaggotAzzAx
08-15-2009, 09:40 AM
so.....Parkour anyone?? :)

Segadoway
08-17-2009, 04:37 AM
so.....Parkour anyone?? :)

I trained a little today, turns out that i could have a bit of bone stuck in my muscle in my wrist, uncoool